PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman manuals

Duckiller
06-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Had occasion to talk to Lyman customer service a couple of days ago. In addition to getting a few much needed parts I also asked when did they intend to do a new cast bullet manual? The lady's reply was it is being discussed and it will probably take about 2 years. They are in the final stages of publishing a new Shotshell manual and that took about two years to do. Shot manual should be out later this year. I did mention the price of discontinued molds on E-bay. Lyman is aware, but no indication that they might reissue any. She did recommend that for major purchases i.e. molds that I go to Midsouth Shooters Supply for approximately a 30% discount over MSRP.

NVcurmudgeon
06-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Quackerwhacker, I often think that loading manual publishers emphasize the edition numbers, and avoid mentioning date published. Lyman's "latest" Cast Bullet Manual was published in 1980! I can date it precisely because Nelson, the wirehair terrier, chewed the cover off it when he was a puppy. Nelson is long gone, but the Lyman CB mnual goes on forever. Their regular loading manual is fairly modern, dating from 2002. Speer, for example, published their "current" No. 13 manual in 1998. I have making tape publishing date markers on all my manuals to keep from accidentally buying a "new" manual that duplicates one I already have.

klw
06-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Lyman made a major switch in the powders that they use in their manuals after the 47th edition. So whenever I look something up I make a point to use their 47th edition as well as the most recent. Kind of puts a premium on the 47th edition, I think, but there are still a few new ones of them around.

NVcurmudgeon
06-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Lyman made a major switch in the powders that they use in their manuals after the 47th edition. So whenever I look something up I make a point to use their 47th edition as well as the most recent. Kind of puts a premium on the 47th edition, I think, but there are still a few new ones of them around.

Precisely the reason I finally wised up and began hoarding old manuals, instead of passing them on to newbies. If anybody needs data for Hi Vel #2 or 4676,
just let me know! Lyman manuals are especially valuable because of their emphasis on cast bullets. I have them going back fifty years and keep my eyes open for more at gun shows.

klw
06-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Precisely the reason I finally wised up and began hoarding old manuals, instead of passing them on to newbies. If anybody needs data for Hi Vel #2 or 4676,
just let me know! Lyman manuals are especially valuable because of their emphasis on cast bullets. I have them going back fifty years and keep my eyes open for more at gun shows.

Had a complete set once. Bought two collections neither one of which was complete but between the two. They were fun. When I sold my gun collection, I also sold all the gunbooks, about 450, and the vast majority of my reloading gear. Hadn't really intended to do that but the fellow who bought all the guns wanted the rest of the stuff and the chance to sell it all in one shot for a good, fair price was just too tempting. Never regretted that.