PDA

View Full Version : Mould choice for CG M96

STP
06-15-2007, 10:09 AM
I just traded into a very nice 1908 M96 Swede but have no mould in 6.5mm yet.
Without a suitable mould on hand, the 3 candidates that come to mind are the Loverin 140gr 266469, Lyman 150gr 266673, and the "Cruise Missle" at 170gr.

The rifle wears Lyman target sights, and after 3 trips to the club with J-word bullets (Lapua), it`s living up to it`s accuarcy reputation... prone, with a sling at 100/200yds.
The bore is a bit frosted front to back, and I`m nearly done with a planned 100rds of "get acquainted" loads, then de-copper and slug the bore and go from there.

I plan on using WW alloy and will stay within the FPS limits as discussed here before. Has anyone noticed a decided difference at say, 200yds with the 150gr or the 170gr "Cruise Missle"?

Also....

I researched the M96 at other web boards and learned alot. However, mine has not one, but two Crown stamps behind the trigger guard. One indicates arsenal rebuild, but what does the 2nd indicate? With the exception of the cleaning rod, all #`s match.

Maven
06-15-2007, 12:06 PM
STP, After you remove the copper fouling, slug your bore (from both ends) and use those results to guide you in CB mold selection. Between two friends and myself, there are 4 Swe. Mau's, but my bore is larger than theirs and some of the Lyman designs, e.g., the 140gr. Loverin, cast too small for mine. From what I've seen, Lee Precision produced at least 2 additional 6.5mm custom molds (the 6-cav. group buy "kurtz" and a miniature of Ly. 31141). Both cast large enough so that you can size them down to .266" if necessary.

dromia
06-15-2007, 01:42 PM
You've still time to get into the 129gn GB.

See here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=15129

I'm looking forward to trying it in my CG63 when I get round to de-coppering.

I've also got a Cruise Missle in transit, I have the Lyman 2660469 but its a tad small for most of my Swedes even the 63, but shooting is the only way to tell.

I'm planning a range trip tomorrow with an M96 and an M94 but its slashing down, veritable stair rods and the forecast doesn't look ower clever.

Two crowns on the wrist, 2 inspection stamps.