PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 lever loads that work for me

omgb
06-15-2007, 02:19 AM
I put this up on Paco's site. thought it might be worth sharing here.

IIRC, someone was looking for good 32-20 loads. I spent considerable time working out some for my little Browning and here's what I cam up with.

Using Starline cases is a whole lot easier than fiddling with WW or Rem or UMC (I've got about 500 left from some very old NOS). With SL cases, I had zero crumples even with my full progressive press and a case feeder.

I landed on 2400 as the ideal powder. It meters perfectly, gives excellent velocity with reasonable amounts and provides excellent accuracy once you learn the secret. I tried the others and this really is the ticket.

For bullets, I found two that worked well but..... not at the same velocities. At vel. up to 1200, I can use Lasercast 115 bevel base bullets sized at .313. This gives good 1" groups at 50 yards with open sights. My load of choice is 7 grains of 2400

For a tad more speed, I use the Lyman 311316 with a gas check. I size that .313 and lube it with LBT Blue. The umph in this load comes from 9.7 grains of 2400. This load cracks right smartly and groups even better with 3 out of five touching at 50 yards and the other two less than a half inch away.

Now the key ..... I shot a lot of different powders and bullets sized all sorts of dia. from .308 up to .314 and .313 works the best. My bore mics at, are you ready? .......310 So, did/does Ken Waters know his stuff or what? >002 - .003 over and bingo, we get tight groups and zero leading.

Key number two, magnum primers. Small rifle for the 9.7 grain loads and small pistol for the 7 grain loads. 2400 lights more consistently, burns cleaner and gives far better accuracy with a magnum primer than any other. CCI, WW, Fed, Rem.; it doesn't matter. But, switch to a standard primer and groups open up.

One last thing, I use a Lee Factory Crimp die to set the crimp. Nothing beats it for ease and function. No crumpled cases, no feeding problems, no crushed bullets. The crimp groove isn't even necessary.

Any way, that's been my success story. i pass it along in hopes that it helps.

Bret4207
06-15-2007, 07:34 AM
You must be one smart feller, 'cuz your experience mirrors mine. That 311316 is the best all around boolit for the 32-20 IMHO. I'll have to try the magnum primers. I usually just use regular small rifle. My favorite rifle is a Savage 23 bolt gun. Groups under an inch are boringly common at 75 yards, I have to try at 100 to see how it does someday.

JeffinNZ
06-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Ditto guys.

My Martini conversion .32-20 likes a 311316 over a full case of H4227 for the best part of 2000fps. Mean load on hares.

Have a lot of success in the low teens with 311008 also.

Jack Stanley
06-17-2007, 11:57 PM
I haven't had the time to work on a higher velocity load . I still use a H&G number 67 bullet with three point two grains of Bullseye with a standard primer . I do use the LEE factory crimp very lightly though . The tip about Starline brass is a good idea because I have to treat these Remington cases VERY carefully .
The H&G is a plain base , so whatever high velocity load I get to . I still don't want it to lead so I might be limiting to about fifteen hundred or so .

Jack

WBH
06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
My 32-20 is an old '73 so I really don't push her hard. I am using a Lyman 311008 in 20:1 alloy over 8.3gr of 5744. R-P brass and WSR primers. Shoots as good as the barrel and sights will allow.