PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Mold Suggestion for Bar-Sto Barrel

barrybrice
11-16-2012, 12:14 AM
I am currently using a Lyman mold #356637, 147grain round nose bevel base. I shoot them with a Glock 34 stock barrel and a Glock 26 with a Lonewolf barrel. I have no issues and have shot hundreds of rounds using this casting.

I have recently sent my Glock 34 to Bar-Sto to have a match grade barrel installed. Along with sending them my pistol, I send five dummy rounds to ensure a proper fit. I received a phone call from Bar-Sto this week saying that the rounds would not set fully in the barrel. They said that it appears that the cast that I am using is for a 38 special revolver or similar, but not a simi-auto pistol. They suggested changing my mold type in lieu of reaming the new custom barrel.

I would like some feedback on understanding this better. If this is a fact, then what 9mm 147g +/- 4-cavity Round Nose mold should I switch to?

Dannix
11-16-2012, 12:17 AM
What does the barrel slug at?
What are the boolits sized/dropping at?

I recently got in a Jarvis for a G19. I haven't played with it, but my impression is such manufacturers like to keep things tighter, so I may end up having to use a tighter sizer myself.

barrybrice
11-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Dannix,
They are dropping around 158gn. Bar-Sto still has my pistol fitting the barrel to it so it has not been slugged. According to my conversation with them this week it will be .355. I should have it back next week.

Piedmont
11-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Barry, I would let them do it their way. They are wanting to avoid reaming your throat so your standard load chambers. When you get it back you may need to seat your bullet deeper or size it a thousandth smaller, or both. Neither is a bad thing. I like having a barrel built like they all should be (the Barsto). We get so used to sloppy equipment and having to load oversized for it.

In a worst case situation you buy a new mold which is not a big deal if you can afford a fitted Barsto barrel to begin with. BTW I have a Barsto 9mm barrel and it is .355". My standard bullet is a 127 grain, though.

Reverend Recoil
11-16-2012, 01:49 AM
I have an Accurate Mold 135-120B five-cavity mold on order right now for my CZ 75B pistol. This bullet is shapped similar to Lyman's 120gr truncated cone nose bullet. I have ordered other other molds from Accurate Molds and the quality has been first class and price and delivery very fair. His catalog has many to choose from. http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=all

Tom has quite a bit of experience in determining the proper cast bullet form for reliability. Send him an email. He may be very helpful. Good luck.

Accurate Molds, LLC
PO Box 315
Salt Lake City, Utah 84110

tom@accuratemolds.com

fecmech
11-16-2012, 11:59 AM
That Lyman bullet has a fairly "fat" nose on it and may require deeper seating to work in the Barsto barrel. If you want to stay with 147's I would look for something with a nose profile similar to the factory 147's. I had trouble with the Lyman 147 design in my Hipower with feeding due to the nose profile.