PDA

View Full Version : Intervention

btroj
11-15-2012, 09:20 PM
If you knew of an upstanding member here who did willingly and openly use a JACKETED bullet for hunting purposes do you think an intervention would be in order?

375RUGER
11-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Well I'm no mod, but I think you should try to solve this with a PM first. If the member does not repent from your gentle exhortation then I think 2-3 additional members may need to be involved to bring the brother back.
If still no repentance, then maybe you should approach a moderator for guidance in the best course of action and whether or not this should be brought into the open.

stubshaft
I'd keep a close watch on them and try to ascertain if it was just an "exploratory" instance. Further use of condoms should be dealt with IMMEDIATELY!

Bad Water Bill
So you think that a lowlife scumbag that is to cowardly to use PB would have the courage to stand up and admit it.:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

autofix4u
11-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Hey...... I got a really nice doe on sunday morning with a 180grn Nosler BT... Came from a batch of ammo I loaded for my 06 about 8 years ago, before i started casting for the 30-06. Still have 73 rounds of that batch left to shoot.

Trey45
11-15-2012, 10:25 PM
We keep a dunk tank and a bushel basket full of baseballs for just such an occasion as this.

btroj
11-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Guys, this is a tricky situation for me. It is my Father in Law. My wife doesn't think it is a big deal but she just doesn't get it.
What true cast bullet shooter can even think of hunting with a jacketed bullet?

I told my father this weekend that what I shot a deer with was more important than the deer itself. not being a caster or shooter he didn't get it either.

x101airborne
11-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Hey Dawg.... You see the size of that.... CHICKEN!
Cock-a-doodle got dang doo!!!!

runfiverun
11-15-2012, 10:54 PM
brad steal all his ammo....
for a minute there i though you were talking about me, i made bad this year.
sadly i got that big buck with a jaxketed round and could have got him with cast.
i had to pass on another big one a few day's before that, because the range was just too far for the 30-30.
sometimes having a scope is a liability,and so is having limited range.
the problem is both situations are encountered from one ridge to the next here.

Crawdaddy
11-15-2012, 11:05 PM
If you knew of an upstanding member here who did willingly and openly use a JACKETED bullet for hunting purposes do you think an intervention would be in order?

I'm sorry, it won't happen again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TJF1
11-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Sounds like a lot of guilty guys here lol
terry

btroj
11-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Oh Run, you so disappoint me.

I don't even consider jacketed for hunting these days. The fact the guy who taught me to cast is still hunting with jacketed just shakes my very foundation. What can I beleive in any more?

I won't even use plated shot for turkey hunting!

waksupi
11-16-2012, 12:17 AM
I would suggest a shock collar.

smoked turkey
11-16-2012, 12:35 AM
I think 100 times handwritten in cursive "I promise not to use "J" words again, and if I do you can have your pick from my mold collection" would be a good start.

linotype
11-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Jacketed bullets!!

I'm too embarrassed to admit I occasionally use a gas check! :oops:

Guesser
11-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Only if you arrive in a black helicopter and swear you're from the government and only there to help.

FISH4BUGS
11-16-2012, 11:23 AM
So you think that a lowlife scumbag that is to cowardly to use PB would have the courage to stand up and admit it.:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

But there is a purpose. I do not shoot ANY lead boolits throurh the supressors. I DO shoot cast in my submachineguns, but NO LEAD THROUGH THE CANS! They are ALL jacketed bullets. My supressor manufacturer says NO LEAD THROUGH THE CAN! That is their company policy.
Don't EVER send unprotected lead through a can.
Period.
End of discussion.

Moonie
11-16-2012, 03:16 PM
The way I view most things in life is you should use the right tool for the job. If I were shooting long range with a medium caliber at game I might be tempted to use a bullet instead of a boolit (I don't hunt long range however so the temptation is moot). For me the issue is just like using Windows instead of Linux, I am a UNIX/Linux system admin by trade but for some things (very few) Windows does a better job. Mainly games (that I don't play), blueray movies and 3d which my laptop does and Linux doesn't support.

As for the suppressor issue, go ahead and find me a 22 rim fire suppressor that you must use jacketed in...

runfiverun
11-16-2012, 04:25 PM
i felt pretty bad about using that 257 featherweight rifle and jaxketed bullets.
untill i walked up on that.
30" rack. i started feeling somewhat better almost instantly...
untill i remembered how steep the hill was.
i think that was right about when littlegirl started feeling poorly.

ShooterAZ
11-16-2012, 04:33 PM
I believe that there is a time & place for everything, including"jaxketed". I am fond of Speer's 50 TNT in my 22 cal varmint rifles...Nosler's 120 BT in the 7x30 Waters Tender, 180 Partition in my .300 Win Mag...there needs to be at least some "special considerations"!

Tazman1602
11-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Yes, I'm guilty. In the blind right now with my Ruger 77 VT. 243 loaded with 4350 and Barnes X bullet! Please don't ban me for life!

Art

Bad Water Bill
11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
SHAME SHAME all the cats and dogs etc.

There are plenty of Lyman #245499 moulds available.

My cousin fed himself ALL YEAR LONG using a 228367 in the north woods of Wisconsin so that is no excuse for you.:kidding:

Olevern
11-16-2012, 05:39 PM
deleted...

km101
11-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Maybe an exorcism?!?!?

firefly1957
11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Forgive me for i have sinned and it was only one day since i took a buck with A jacketed bullet!

Yes father the range was short only 25 yards but my Model 29 was under my coat and i felt i would lose the deer if i went for it.

Yes of coarse the S&W has cast boolits without gas checks a hard cast bullet doing 1430f/s about 30 feet from the 8 3/8" barrel .

I understand i have a tag left i will carry the Sharps out in the morning, is it okay if i use smokeless powder in it?

Okay i will cast, load,and shoot 200 rounds after season ends .......EACH MONTH! well okay can i swage okay just cast boolits then .

Bad Water Bill
11-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Bless you my son. Go in pieces and sin no more or all of your deer will wear SPOTS.:bigsmyl2:

firefly1957
11-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Bad Bill by the time our season starts the spots are gone ! I did not go out today cut the buck up , packaged the meat, and froze most of it. Baked the tenderloins yesterday i wrapped them in bacon covered with onions and baked in a hot oven 425* it was pretty good with spicy rice and red beans.

MT Gianni
11-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Not at all. I think it depends on the situation. I am by nature a tinkerer, as I believe most casters are. If someone wants to see what a 60+ gr bullet will do on game from a 22-250 I am inclined to let them. We know what a 35 cal and up will do with a decent meplate. 357 max's hunting thread shows us what a 7 mm does with a good meplate. If I am in Elk country with the possibility of 300 yard shots over sage brush I will have a j-word bullet. The season is too short and permits don't come around often enough.

firefly1957
11-20-2012, 08:04 PM
I agree 100% my post was in jest though if i could have pulled the pistol on a 25 yd buck i would have.

429421Cowboy
11-21-2012, 12:54 PM
I am almost scared to admit it but... I feel no (ok, very little) shame from using jacketed bullets to hunt with, for the situations that cast just can't cover the bill. 500 yards for elk in open country? I haven't even had the chance to shoot at an elk yet, so i'd rather tag my first bull before i start limiting my range. I used my elk rig on a doe antelope this year, mostly to justify having spent a few $$$$ working on it and on supplies, plus time spent in the process. I am just as proud of that rifle and load as i am of my cast 421429 Unique loads in my Super Blackhawk. I saved up the cash to buy that m700 with Leupold scope brand new when i turned 16, just as i saved up for my SBH when i turned 18, and saved and sold scrap to buy my Rockchucker to load for both. Yes i get another degree of satisfaction from using a "homemade" boolit that is ideal in every respect for my gun, but i also feel it from a load i perfected in a rifle i perfected, it is just a different application. I also took a doe with my great grandfather's .32 Win Special and a jacketed 170gr bullet monday, but don't feel any less special than the doe i took the thursday before with a .50 patched RB out of my Austin Halleck muzzleloader. I think it is to each his own, i an not going to tell every guy with a .30/06 he could be a more rightous person by using a PP boolit in his rifle, but i do feel a slight pain when i see a hunting revolver or a .35 Rem being loaded with jacketed.
End rant!

snuffy
11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Well, I have NEVER used a cast boolit for hunting! Does that earn me a suspension from this board?

One thing I have learned since joining this forum, you CAN use boolits for hunting! And they're effective.

IF I hunted deer, or other big game in a state where you could spend day after day in the woods, and the tags were plentiful, I would already have shot a deer or 6 with a boolit. This crazy state of Wisconsin,(I love my home state, would never move), the 9 day deer season is all too short, and the weather is seldom easy to stay warm. (This season, on right now, is a very warm one, today may reach 60, yesterday was 55).

Deer are often "on the move" seldom do you have a chance to take that perfect shot. Yardage can be from "I can't see more that 25 yards" to bean field shots at 400 yards +.

In order for a cast boolit to be effective, it needs a broad meplat for the shock value. I don't want an argument about whether shock, or energy dump, is required, but the flat meplat starts expansion better that a pointy boolit. There's no doubt that a RN or pointed boolit will pencil through without much damage.

That means long range shots with flat pointed boolits would be difficult at best. If I win the power ball, I WILL buy my own hunting land where I can have easy access, for my limited walking ability. I haven't hunted lately, this year makes 6 years. We lost the lease we had, the owner sold it, the new owner wants nothing to do with hunting,(Amish). Public land is over run with idiots that shoot at movement, a good place to get shot.

fatnhappy
11-21-2012, 08:39 PM
I would suggest a shock collar.

Leave your private life out of this amigo.

JeffinNZ
11-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Temptation comes in many forms and we all stray from the fold from time to time. Let's not be too quick to judge our wayward brother in his time of weakness. Frogiveness is as much for the giver as the receiver. Let us all bow our heads and offer a quiet moment of reflection and trust that our brother will see the error of his ways and return to us.

......or we could just kick is behind. You decide..... ;-)

1Shirt
11-22-2012, 01:56 PM
GUILTY! Probably will be again next deer season as well. Or maybe not, depends on situation, mood, phases of the moon, tide ets. 2 deer this year, 1 w/J, one w/cast. Big deal!
1Shirt!

walltube
11-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Hog tie him to a very uncomfortable chair, and THEN be forced to view an unending tape of Ohpra Winfrey "holiday" specials.

btroj
11-22-2012, 03:20 PM
I have gotten to the point where I would rather pass up on a deer than to use jacketed.
I suppose I would say that I am to a point where the method is more important than the outcome.

Alvarez Kelly
11-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Well... I hunt in Illinois. We have to use shotguns (or black powder) to hunt deer. When I found a commercial sabot slug that shot well in my shotgun, I bought a bunch of 'em. I shot 2 deer this year with 2 slugs. Nothing to brag about... just meat for the freezer, but at this rate, I have enough commercial slugs for at least 10 more years.

Sorry, but I use what I have if it works...