PDA

View Full Version : The Poor Get Poorer or The Dumb do Dumb Things

Gibson
11-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Got a call from MRI this morning. Great news:

[MRI]Uh, Jesse, uh, you created a slight barrel bulge when you tried to extract the broken ERH screw. It will require a new barrel. [I interjected here] Oh yeah? Hm. Uh, how much are we talking about, and what about the quad porting? [He replied] 150 dollars and the porting is on the discarded barrel. . . [Me] Okay, well, great.Send me the old barrel and put on the new one. I'll try to scrape together the 150 dollars.

My fault; now I'll pay for it.

No working gunsmiths that I can find in the area, so a buddy sends me the bit and an Easy Out but doesn't factor in my ineptitude and all around stupidity. Now I gotta pay. You'd think by now I'd have realized that all I ever do is tear stuff up when I try to fix it. . . My favorite handgun, too. BFR in 500 mag.

Nothing much to do with casting but I mostly post in here.

ShooterAZ
11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
From the looks of your avatar...I think you may have put just a tad too much pressure on it my friend.:bigsmyl2:

Gibson
11-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Not real bright but I can lift heavy objects. . .

Actually I don't do much heavy lifting anymore. That was me in a meet in 2005, IIRC. I believe it was near Columbus, Ohio.

All the guys here are so industrious and creative. God knows how much more I'll tear up but I am dedicated to learn how to craft things and to be generally more handy.

Vinne
11-15-2012, 09:36 PM
We learn from doing...and take it from me I did a lot of learning in my years. Just bite the boolit and move on. Good luck with that new barrel.

gray wolf
11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
You need smaller tools and supervision.

Gibson
11-15-2012, 10:39 PM
You need smaller tools and supervision.

Smaller tools? Are you crazy? :bigsmyl2: That drill bit looked like a sewing needle.

The supervision part is definitely true.

tek4260
11-16-2012, 07:57 AM
So exactly how does one "create a slight bulge" with an easy out? Especially in Satan's metal, commonly referred to as Stainless Steel?

Hate that Jay. My only solution would have been to slightly shorten the ERH and drill and tap behind the broken screw if I was unable to remove it.

Maybe you can talk them into a custom barrel length while they are at it?