PDA

View Full Version : Loads for 8mm Nambu?

Dframe
11-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Didn't find a place for military pistol reloading so gonna start here. Anyone load for 8mm Nambu pistol? I have a friend who collects Japanese military rifles and other militaria. He'd like to get a Nambu and probably WILL eventually. I would like to be able to provide him with some plinking ammo. I found Dies and boolits but VERY little in reloading data. Anybody here ever load for this calibre?

I'll Make Mine
11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
I'd start with light .32 ACP data, then work up to the minimum that will cycle the action. Use faster powders like Red Dot.

onefunzr2
04-03-2013, 03:33 PM
3.6gr of Titegroup yields 994fps behind 111.3gr wheelweight boolit. My February 1944 Type 14 thrives on this load.

Ed in North Texas
04-03-2013, 05:06 PM
castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?175072-8mm-Nambu-Loads

3006guns
04-04-2013, 07:11 PM
You didn't mention brass, so here's what I've done when commercial stuff is in short supply (most of the time):

Gather .40 s&w brass.
Place a 30-30 Winchester sizing die in your press, minus the entire decapping stem.
Place a steel washer (or piece of flat steel) on top of your press ram......no shell holder.
Use a GOOD sizing lube such as Imperial and set a lubed .40 case on top of the washer.
Run the case all the way into the die, right up to the washer.
Lower the press ram and insert a brass rod down through the 30-30 die into the case and whack it once with a hammer to remove. Repeat with all cases.

You have just swaged the outside diameter and rim of the .40 case to the proper dimensions for the 8mm Nambu.

Now remove the 30-30 die (replace the decapping stem) and screw an 8mm Nambu sizing die in its place.
Lube the .40 cases and run them through the Nambu die......presto, nice fresh reloadable brass!

Don't remember where I picked up this little trick, but it's a lot cheaper than hunting down rare and expensive boxer primed brass.

Ed in North Texas
04-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Good trick. Certainly can't mistake the reformed .40 for .40 cases after the conversion to a bottlenecked case. I'm not so sure I'd call the ready made cases as "rare", Graf's is currently out of the Huntington cases ($65.xx/100), but Huntington's apparently has them in stock ($34.xx/50). And yes, those prices are double the highest prices for .40 S&W new brass, but that is pretty reasonable considering the difference in demand for the two cases. I didn't bother to look at the availability and price for the Bertram produced cases, the price is bound to be on the high side of ridiculous.

texassako
04-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Good trick. Certainly can't mistake the reformed .40 for .40 cases after the conversion to a bottlenecked case. I'm not so sure I'd call the ready made cases as "rare", Graf's is currently out of the Huntington cases ($65.xx/100), but Huntington's apparently has them in stock ($34.xx/50). And yes, those prices are double the highest prices for .40 S&W new brass, but that is pretty reasonable considering the difference in demand for the two cases. I didn't bother to look at the availability and price for the Bertram produced cases, the price is bound to be on the high side of ridiculous.

Buffalo Arms Co. has Starline with the proper headstamp in stock for $58/100.

Ed in North Texas
04-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Buffalo Arms Co. has Starline with the proper headstamp in stock for $58/100.

Yes, they do. And that is the best price on the web for these new cases. I don't see where Starline has these for sale on their website, so they are apparently a contract run. Buffalo Arms is currently out of reformed .40 S&W, but are accepting backorders on those.

Thin Man
04-08-2014, 09:29 AM
I have just finished reforming 250+ pieces of 357 Sig brass with this same method. The step that was not mentioned earlier was trimming the brass, did this with a Lyman trimmer with the power shank (attach your favorite hand drill and make sure the lock screws on the length setting rings are seated tightly). Chamfer the case mouth inside and outside. Cases will fall into the chamber and extract appropriately. Today should be the day I test fire a few of these to determine a final "load a bunch" recipe. My mold is a NEI 2 cavity that throws a 106 grain boolit that measures .326 with ACWW, size these .323 for a snug fit in a worn barrel.

Thin Man

Ed in North Texas
04-15-2014, 09:23 AM
I have just finished reforming 250+ pieces of 357 Sig brass with this same method. The step that was not mentioned earlier was trimming the brass, did this with a Lyman trimmer with the power shank (attach your favorite hand drill and make sure the lock screws on the length setting rings are seated tightly). Chamfer the case mouth inside and outside. Cases will fall into the chamber and extract appropriately. Today should be the day I test fire a few of these to determine a final "load a bunch" recipe. My mold is a NEI 2 cavity that throws a 106 grain boolit that measures .326 with ACWW, size these .323 for a snug fit in a worn barrel.

Thin Man

There was a detailed discussion of case reforming here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?175072-8mm-Nambu-Loads

I found that to use my Lyman Universal Trimmer (with power adapter) I had to use the .31 caliber spud. That is what the brass formed in my C-H FL die (without decapping rod installed) needed, your dies may vary in dimension.

Dframe
01-19-2015, 12:44 PM
You didn't mention brass, so here's what I've done when commercial stuff is in short supply (most of the time):

Gather .40 s&w brass.
Place a 30-30 Winchester sizing die in your press, minus the entire decapping stem.
Place a steel washer (or piece of flat steel) on top of your press ram......no shell holder.
Use a GOOD sizing lube such as Imperial and set a lubed .40 case on top of the washer.
Run the case all the way into the die, right up to the washer.
Lower the press ram and insert a brass rod down through the 30-30 die into the case and whack it once with a hammer to remove. Repeat with all cases.

You have just swaged the outside diameter and rim of the .40 case to the proper dimensions for the 8mm Nambu.

Now remove the 30-30 die (replace the decapping stem) and screw an 8mm Nambu sizing die in its place.
Lube the .40 cases and run them through the Nambu die......presto, nice fresh reloadable brass!

Don't remember where I picked up this little trick, but it's a lot cheaper than hunting down rare and expensive boxer primed brass.

Thanks. Thats a trick I'd never heard of. Great idea

rrob692326
08-27-2015, 04:18 AM
If you cut he 30/30 die down low and use a lee bullet sizing ram you can push cases completely through and not have to pound them back o out. I have done thousands like this.

Saltner
08-28-2015, 11:09 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?175072-8mm-Nambu-Loads&highlight=Nambu

Gunor
08-28-2015, 12:09 PM

For your info - Midway Loading data