PDA

View Full Version : Stained glass framework

destrux
11-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I have a few old broken stained glass lamps and such, I *think* the framework is made of lead. Anyone know anything about what this is or what alloy it might be if it's not pure lead?

Wayne Smith
11-15-2012, 02:34 PM
It's called came and it probably has a little antimony in it to help it hold shape.

edler7
11-15-2012, 02:57 PM
A lot of lamp shades are copper foil rather than lead came. You will know when you split a seam between 2 pieces of glass and can look at the joint.

Copper foil has solder floated on it to provide the integrity needed to hold the pieces together. So you either have a bunch of soft lead if it is came, or a bunch of solder if it's foil.

win/win

fredj338
11-15-2012, 03:11 PM
If it is came, it's a nice alloy, but very soft, nearly pure. I doubt it has any antimony, probably 1% tin to fill out the sharp edges. Add some clip ww or lino & away you go. For LHP, it's pretty good as is to 1100fps or so.

rollmyown
11-15-2012, 11:31 PM
I got a bunch of this a while ago. It's dead soft and seems to be pure lead.
I have major problems with dross formation, no matter how low I keep the melt temp or how much I flux. I think it has to to with the putty in the lead.
I'm gonna trade mine fore clean sheet lead at the recycler.

destrux
11-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Sweet, thanks for the info.

I'm ok with dross, I use a bottom pour pot. I actually like to keep a layer on there to keep the air off the metal.

I'm glad to get some sort of use out of these old lamps. Better than adding to a landfill somewhere.

Shiloh
11-16-2012, 06:40 PM
A stained glass lady says it is soft pure lead. Don't know if there are different types.

Shiloh

mdevlin53
11-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Most came is dead soft lead but be aware that they do make a zinc came that is often used on the perimeter of glass panels. You should be able to see the difference as it does not get the dark color pure lead gets and it is fairly light and not very flexible.