PDA

View Full Version : Neck turning tools

Love Life
11-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Hello all. In my ultimate quest for rifle accuracy and plans to shoot 1,000 yard tactical rifle competition I have deemed it necessary to turn necks. I have read countless reviews and looked at countless different brands of neck turning tools. At this point it boils down to trust, and I trust the members of this forum.

My question is, with the knowledge and experience you have, which hand held neck turning tool would you recommend? Why?

Thak you in advance.

r1kk1
11-15-2012, 02:03 PM
I have the K&M tool from Ken Markel. He has since sold the company. Years ago I called for some stuff, he sent it with an invoice. I used to have one from Whitetail engineering but they are no longer around. Ken has made me some stuff for .17, .19, and a 20 caliber in the past. His turner can keep to .0005" of an inch. Most of my competition stuff is K&M, and will look for one more arbor press.

http://www.kmshooting.com/

Some very interesting tools found no where else. Now to get a Hoover pointing die.

Take care,

r1kk1

williamwaco
11-15-2012, 02:13 PM
I have used the Forster for 40 years and have been very happy with it.

However, if you are really into reloading for that type of matches, you really can save a lot of reinventing the wheel if you will buy and read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931220123/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1931220123&linkCode=as2&tag=loansoftwarec-20

It deals with case preparation and the tools used to do it. It also has separate sections for bolt guns and gas guns.

It will save you a lot of time and wasted effort.

Love Life
11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Wow. Thank you for the links. I will have to order that book.

shooter93
11-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Very good book. Sinclair, K and M, there are quite a few out there really. I've used a lot of Sinclair stuff. You could also get a subsciptuion to Precision Shooting or get copies from a friend. max accuracy is the root of the magazine.

Love Life
11-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Right now I have it boiled down to the K&M neck turning kit. I guess I need a tubing micrometer or maybe one of those Redding Case Neck Concentricity Gauges. Hmmmm.

Then I have the choice to have my die honed out to stop sizing it so much or a bushing die set. Once again hmmm.

Sometimes I miss the good old days of buying ammo and calling it good, but with the accuracy I get from handloads I can never go back.

flashhole
11-15-2012, 08:17 PM
I have the K & M tool. It's well made and precise. If you go the K & M route make sure you get the Expand Iron tool too. It opens the case mouth to the proper dimension for the mandrel on the cutting tool. I use their carbide cutting mandrel so I both outside neck turn and inside neck ream at the same time. Again, excellent tool.

geargnasher
11-15-2012, 10:52 PM
I've used several, and prefer the Forster. BENCH MODEL. I tried one of those handheld jobbies, never could get them to feed and cut as cleanly and evenly as the feed control on the Forster bench tool.

Gear

williamwaco
11-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I've used several, and prefer the Forster. BENCH MODEL. I tried one of those handheld jobbies, never could get them to feed and cut as cleanly and evenly as the feed control on the Forster bench tool.

Gear

I never tried one of the hand held ones because I expected that is exactly what would happen to me. Thanks for letting me know I actually saved some money.

Houndog
11-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I've been down this road before! I've got a K&M, 3 Sinclairs, Forester, a pumpkin and one made by Jerry Stiller. ANY and all of them are excellent, but for ease of use and versatility, Sinclair gets the nod from me. Be SURE to buy the expanding tool with whatever neck turner you decide on! It'll save you a BUNCH of headaches.

You also mentioned resizing dies. Save yourself a BUNCH of frustration and money by sending Lynwood Harrel (Harrels Precision) in Roanoke Virginia 3 FIRED cases and buy your resizing die from him. You WON'T be disapointed!

Doc Highwall
11-16-2012, 07:36 PM
This is the one I bought, check it out.

http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/Neck_Turning_Tool.php

Love Life
11-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the tip Houndog. I'll give them a call on Monday.

That looks good Doc Highwall.

I really like the K&M and will more than likely go with that. I can use an electric screwdriver if I need more speed. I have plenty of brass, and will only match prep 100 or so at a time and shoot them until they wear out.