PDA

View Full Version : Rolling block extractor help

texassako
11-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Anybody made a Remington #4 RB extractor before? Or even less likely one for this little Meriden Model 10 boys rifle? It looks like the original would have been very similar to the #4's, but I am not about to spend $30 on one to find out. I am kind of stumped on what to make it from since it is an odd shape. Cut from sheet and twist like the poorly made one pictured sounds like putting a lot of stress right where it needs strength, and where it bends now. I can cut it from a little block as well since my vertical combination bandsaw is currently set up for metal cutting. I don't think the rear tab is right either and is the main cause of the FTEs since the block will not cam it back. Ignore the flat firing pin tip, I have not profiled it since making a new one to replace the horrible homemade one.

geargnasher
11-21-2012, 01:24 AM
I TiG-welded the tip of mine on a #4 to build up metal for the .22 RF conversion I did from .32 RF. I looked at making one from scratch with basically hand tools and decided it would be a bit too difficult for my skill level considering it probably needs to be made out of something better than mild cold-roll. Plus I don't know much about heat-treating small parts even if I DID make it out of the right kind of steel.

Looking at that one, it seems simpler than I remember them. You could probably make it out of flat steel and hot hammer-forge the tip to rough shape, finishing the rim cut with the chambering reamer like I did.

Here's a blurry pic of the original: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24828&d=1282795052, probably doesn't help much.

Gear