PDA

View Full Version : New job.

JeffinNZ
11-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Team.

Today I signed a contract with a new employer. Still in the freight forwarding game but slightly better $$$ and much better prospects. I had a major falling out with current boss two weeks ago and had two days to cool my heels. During that time my phone rang from another company offering me this role. It's taken a lot of soul searching but SWMBO and I feel good about the change. 5 1/2 years working for a boss I don't respect is a hard road. It will be nice to we somewhere and feel I can make positive contributions though it will be sad to leave behind some great people.

oneokie
11-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Good luck with the new job.

HARRYMPOPE
11-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Good luck- i did the same 4 years ago.its hard working for a boss you dont respect (or trust) in my case.My current employer in from Lewiston Idaho and was friends with Jack O'Conner and his uncle was Bill Caldwell of Speer ballistic labs.Nice to work with fellow shooters.Though our real business is designing/engineering home building components.

George

MT Gianni
11-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Sounds like a good change for a good person. Good luck in your new employment, Jeff.

Dean D.
11-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Best of luck to you on your new job Jeff. It sounds like a great improvement from your old one!

williamwaco
11-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Good Luck.

smokeywolf
11-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Hope your new position suits you.

More often than not, managers are hostile with the most competent employees. Those are the ones that might eventually take their job or even become their boss.

smokeywolf

Frank46
11-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Jeff, kind of know where you have been with the old job. My boss didn't respect anyone and got none in return and was very vindictive. And I trusted him as far as I could throw him into the river. Someone must have dropped a dime on him as he suddenly (like wham) got transferred and the new boss was actually a prince. 3 years later I said the heck with this and took an early out. Good luck on your new job, its a learning process but stay the course. Frank

JeffinNZ
11-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys. What was very satisifying was the initial discussion was about a lesser paying role on a very short term. After they got my CV and met me the offer got a lot better as did the job. Further, had things not come to a head with my boss I would have never heard about the role at all. Funny how things work out.

Oh, and in the office sweepstake this week I drew the horse belonging to the owner of the business I will be working for. Good omen?

geargnasher
11-15-2012, 02:19 AM
I quit a job I liked working for a man I truly respected and admired for a job with much better pay and benefits. I made sure it was all in the open from the start, and when I negotiated and got a firm offer gave two MONTHS notice. That new job lasted 11 months, it was a lot like your past 5-1/2 years had been. I walked off in disgust and it took me two weeks of self-imposed exile in Colorado with nothing to do to start to feel human again. Guess who I'm working for again! Got a pay increase, still not great but there's nothing like feeling good for that nine hours a day vs. hating myself and having my square integrity pounded through a round hole for a third of my life. Glad to hear you made a move, sometimes things do just "work out". You've been through a lot of tough the past couple of years, you're overdue for some good cheer.

Gear

tomme boy
11-15-2012, 02:46 AM
Good for you! Not liking who you work for makes for long days working and long night of hating to have to get back up an doing it all over again.

fatnhappy
11-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Someone with a new job! How did I know they weren't American?:?

Congrats. I hope it works out well for you.

Jim
11-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Jeff, as long as your wife is standing beside you and supporting you on this, everybody else can get in line to..............

Well, I'm sure you get the hint.

captaint
11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Jeff - Best of luck with the new position. Hope things work out like you need. Nothing worse than working for knuckleheads. enjoy Mike

Idaho Mule
11-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Best of luck to you Jeff. That working for idiots can be awful hard to stomach. I quit a job some 20 yrs. ago, was asking the boss for a raise and he said he could train a monkey to do my job. I picked him up by the neck and told him to get his monkey cuz this cowboy just quit. A good friend had a moose tag so we packed in to Isaac Lake and spent a cple weeks, that was a good trip and I got a better job when we got back to civilization. JW

Olevern
11-15-2012, 10:11 AM
I can understand and commiserate with you Jeff. I worked in a mental health care provider business under a boss that thought that if she wasn't writing someone up her boss (the owner) would not think she was doing anything.

I saw quite a number of good employees fired (which action impacted their abilities to get further employment), saw the handwriting on the wall and left before I joined them.

blackthorn
11-15-2012, 01:32 PM
First of all---GOOD FOR YOU!!!
I spent 33 years working for a big multinational co. to whom an employee was just another number. Had a few fair (tough) supervisers and a good many more that were jerks (polite term). The last 3 or 4 years in that industry were spotty employment due to the incompetent/mismanagement of the top few and during that time at the request of my Union and local Labour Council I developed a Food Bank and provided representation for un/under employed people who were at odds with various segments of the system. I was able to develop my own job description (within certain guidelines). Loved the job but it was low paid. During that time I worked with displaced workers to assist them in finding alternate work and that part of the work paid better. When the multinational finally closed our mill permanently, I went to full time at the food bank/help center. Through that work I finally (1992) got a job as a labour intrest member for the appeal system dealing with worker compensaion claims appeals (good money). I retired (the first time) in 2004 and the last time in 2007. Life is good!!!

tward
11-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Good luck with the new position! Success is not the key to happiness, happiness is the key to success! Cheers. Tim:bigsmyl2:

hiram1
11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
I hope you the best in your job and life .

crmike
11-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Good luck with the new job! I visited Christchurch a few times. In my opinion, the most beautiful place on earth.

Crawdaddy
11-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Good luck Jeff. Working for someone you don't care for is a hard thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blacksmith
11-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Jeff,
The good lord points you to where he wants you. I am sure you will be in a much better frame of mind with a good boss. I had all kinds of bosses over the years and a good boss makes a job seem like fun and makes you go home happy.

MtGun44
11-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Jeff,

Sounds like you will be a lot happier at the new job. Congratulations! If you can work
at something that you like in a pleasant environment for a person that you can respect,
you are a lucky man. Great to hear that you are moving to a better position.

Bill

MakeMineA10mm
11-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Jeff,
Good to hear you've improved your situation, in more ways than one. It's very fortunate you found a fix to your prior situation.

I'm stuck where I am. Civil Service job with 15 years in, and I won't leave when I can lock in a retirement in less than 5 years. However, I AM looking around for options to try when that time comes. Found one that is very interesting to me where I am doing one aspect of my current job, working from home, with a company car & cell phone, and reports filed on-line. Meeting with the boss is mostly on-line or over cell phone, and set my own hours. It also pays better than the current job. That one is high up on my list of retirement jobs.

I've noticed that when it comes to bosses there are managers, leaders, and jack-a$$es. Right now I work for a cross between the first and last. Narcicism and self-serving are all that matter to the jerk. He has hired young micro-managers who were neither experienced or good at the job that they are now supervising. It's pathetic to watch, and I'm just biding my time.

JeffinNZ
11-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Resigned from my current job this morning. The boss still has a bruise on his foot from where his jaw hit it.

MtGun44
11-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Good luck!

Bill

DHurtig
11-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Congratulations on the new job. I really liked my last job, but my boss was a liar, a cheat and a thief. He cheated his employees and his customers. The day he dies the world will be a better place. After I left, I had a little chat with the Dept of Labor. Current employees tell me he is still a ***, but he can't cheat them the way he used to. Makes me feel good to know that their lives are a little better anyway. Dale

MakeMineA10mm
11-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Resigned from my current job this morning. The boss still has a bruise on his foot from where his jaw hit it.
Yikes! The new one??

Hope all gets better! I've always heard when God closes one door, he opens another, but I've been too chicken, and always climbed back in the window to hang on to the bitter end. I'm impressed with your fortitude and willingness to stick to your guns.

JeffinNZ
11-19-2012, 05:20 PM
No, the current job. Start the new job in mid Dec. It's all good.

303Guy
11-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Good on ya mate! Working for a dick-head boss can give one the shakes!:killingpc Hope you will be happy in your new job - well, I'm sure you will be. All the best! :drinks: