PDA

View Full Version : Contender Carbine- begging a favor

357maximum
11-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi

I have a couple of racy looking laminate blanks enroute. I will be making a thumbhole lamiante stockset for my contender carbine. I was wondering if anyone on here has a thumbhole stock for their contender (any brand). If someone does....can I beg of them to trace their stock on some paper and send the tracing to me? I need a template/idea of where to put the thumbhole in relation to the trigger and I do not wanna poke the hole in the wrong spot or get any angles of the dangles wrong.

I will cover postage/effort/ and buy you a beer or two.

thank you,
Michael

fryboy
11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
if i did i would but they make so few southpaw thumbhole stocks ...i havent found one yet i like

but it does beg a question ... is the beer for them or for you ? :P ( i suppose it'd jus spill and gum up the fax machine [doh] ;) )

357maximum
11-14-2012, 10:17 PM
My stock will be ambidextrous. I reallly really really wish I had bought one of the Fajen ambi thumbholes when they were available. That is what my intended goal is. I will lighten mine up a bit with concealed holes/hogouts....but the basic shape will be Fajen Ambidextrous. I can punt and figure this out...but I would much rather hedge my bet and cheat a little.

uscra112
11-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Make a rough one out of cheap pine. Alter until you like it. Then make your good one.

BCRider
11-15-2012, 03:38 AM
Make a rough one out of cheap pine. Alter until you like it. Then make your good one.

That's exactly what I've done for any of my more complicated stock projects so far. If you get it wrong you can stick on some easy to shape filler until you get it right.

A tracing doesn't tell you much about the whole 3D shape of the stock. And the magic for such a shaping is in the small details of the shaping and subtle thinning or swells where needed. You'll only get that by trying the shapes for your self using a cheap wood. And hey, if it came from a hunk of 2x6 then you're only into it for about a buck. If it's beyond a little filler to where it's simply "just wrong" toss it and start over with a new piece or two until it's "just right". THEN make your fancy wood stock.

oldred
11-15-2012, 05:51 AM
When I built my Contender carbine stock I was not even sure of exactly what I wanted so I started with a piece of soft pine and some auto body filler ("Bondo") and worked that up making changes as I proceeded. Although mine is not a thumbhole stock the basics would be the same and using body filler lets you use your imagination and easily form the style you want for "fit and feel" without running the risk of ruining your blank.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh269/dwmiracle/PDR_0161-1.jpg

Larry Gibson
11-15-2012, 12:59 PM
357maximum

I've been using an old Brown composite stock I got back in th mid '80s. It is ambidextrous. I really like mine; it's obviously the middle rifle in the photo. I'm 3-4 days away from Arizona where it is and could get a trace to you then if you want. Jog my memory in 5 days if you do.

Larry Gibson

357maximum
11-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Larry.....thank you......will do. If I have the basic outline, the rest should be easy enough. Not my first goat rope just the first for this toy. The action inletting will be done on a very generous souls steel mill so that should add some "easy" to this project.

I do believe yours is a Fajen. Basically what I want, but I am thinking about recessing the back part of the butt to reduce weight. Kinda like the synthetic ruger stocks that have the "dish" in them....this would also add some "striking" with the laminates I have.....it all depends on balance when I get her close. I bought a red/black and a purple/black. The big brown truck of happiness brought them today in fact. Right now they are heavy blocks of plywood....but my stock resides in there somewhere.

Oldred....that stock is stunning....thanks for posting it. I like that too....maybe with the other chunk of laminate I will do something like that....as it is gorgeous.

rush1886
11-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Howdy
I shoot a right handed thumbhole laminate stock from gunstocks inc, in Ohio, IIRC. I'd be happy to send you a tracing, if you still want/need one.

357maximum
11-17-2012, 08:33 PM
rush1886 ...yes, please, and thank you. PM coming your way.

thanks,
Mike

scarry scarney
11-21-2012, 01:10 AM
Oldred- as said earlier, your stock is stunning! Your stock and forearm just calls me to get a long barrel and shoot my TC as a rifle. So far, I only have pistol barrels, and no shoulder stock (and I kow not to have the short barrel and shoulder stock).

357maximum
11-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks to Rush and a member on another sight I am well on my way and I have what I need.....THANK YOU

I have made 3 pinewood mock ups now and my stock will be a hybrid of the old fajen and the gunstocks inc. stocks with just a touch more material to the top for a better cheek to wood weld. Making this stock will not be all that difficult once a friend that has better tools gets involved. I learned real quick while hagging out the pinewood stocks that my tooling is not up to the task of a fine action inletting job on a material like wood laminate. After the inletting is done the rest will be easy though.

THANK YOU CRAIG...much appreciated,
Mike

rush1886
11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
More than welcome Friend. And Thanks for the powder info. Next time I get near the Michibraska Flatlands, I'll have to give out a holler and see about that beer!
rush1886

Knight Templar
11-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Hello,
Where did you get the blanks? Are they available and at what cost? Don't know any pinewoods savages but have been accused of being a jackpine savage. ;-)

357maximum
11-25-2012, 03:39 PM
I got the blanks from Boyd's gunstocks. They are $39 apiece+shipping. I bought 2 of em and the shipping was $25 for the Big Brown Truck of Happiness to put them on my doorstep.

I have to drive a long ways north to see a jackpine...we do have our share of white/red pines around here though....that must be the difference.....you would have to ask the sophisticated ones that gave me the moniker to be sure however. Most of my really really close friends just call me "ANIMAL"...I think it has something to do with the way I like a steak, but I could be wrong...as I know for a fact that the bears are not the only thing that ***** in the woods. :lol:

357maximum
11-25-2012, 03:44 PM
More than welcome Friend. And Thanks for the powder info. Next time I get near the Michibraska Flatlands, I'll have to give out a holler and see about that beer!
rush1886

You are more than welcome here at my little ranch...just give me a holler first as I will have to buy some beers first....all my adult beverages come in fifths or wine bottles. Right now I have some fine homemade elderberry wine, but it won't last long.

rush1886
11-25-2012, 09:19 PM
You are more than welcome here at my little ranch...just give me a holler first as I will have to buy some beers first....all my adult beverages come in fifths or wine bottles. Right now I have some fine homemade elderberry wine, but it won't last long.

Though Barley and Hops are my first love, I decidely have no quarrel with Homemade Elderberry Wine!! And Thanks for the invite! I try my darndest not to venture too far east of the Rockies, but you just never know!
Sounds like we share some common ground on cooking a steak as well. My prefered preparation is "Cut his horns off, wipe his behind, and get him on the platter!" Or words to that effect.

Ever try Onion Wine?

rush1886

357maximum
11-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Nope,never tried onion wine, but a good dandelion makes me smile. I once carved a chunk of deer right off the carcass and ate it to prove a point....made a buddy vomit, and several of us had a good laugh at his expense...... it tasted rather pleasant to me. Must have some coyote/wolf in the family tree somewhere I spose. I normally introduce the meat and the flame,but I never allow them to get to know each other. :lol:

MostlyOnThePaper
11-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Put me a Contender on layaway today, pre G2, presently in 44 mag I think 10 inch. Plans include attempting to achieve similar results to your 7tcu carbine, when the cash makes itself available to get a barrel and stock. Now you have me wondering if I should hurry up and get some wood to inlet while y'all have the mill set up... I'm thinking something similar to oldreds rig with a little beefier forend.