PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 310 guidance requested

BoolitSchuuter
11-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Recently got a set of Lyman dies from a fellow Cast Booliteer. The set is for a Tru-line Jr complete with shell holder for 44 Magnum. I want to use it on a 310 tool so I need the adapter and a priming die. Can anyone tell me the part numbers I need to look for? I'm getting conflicting data doing Google searches of different sites (Imagine that!!) [smilie=b:

Wayne Smith
11-14-2012, 03:34 PM
You won't need the shell holder, that fits the True-line Jr. You will need the priming die for the .44 case, either Mag or Special. I don't think you need an adapter for the 310 tool, but I don't have one so I can't say. The adapters I know are to use the 310 dies in a regular press. You will need a de-priming pin.

Bent Ramrod
11-14-2012, 08:17 PM
The 310 Tool adapter ring for the .44 Spl and Magnum is the #9. The priming chamber is the #7.

This is from an old Lyman Handbook, so you might want to call Lyman and confirm.

3006guns
11-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Right here.....

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lyman310/default.html

If you go to the bottom of the main page you'll find a number of choices, one of which is "Castpics". Click on that and behold the wealth of information available!:mrgreen:

BoolitSchuuter
11-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Now to find those elusive little goodies. :drinks:

Green Frog
11-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Now to find those elusive little goodies. :drinks:

Other than the usual search on flea-Bay, you might also try an outfit called "the 310 Shop" that specializes in parts for the 310. To recap what you have, at the end of their run, the 310 die set was composed of a Muzzle Resizer (MR) which is not in the TL Jr set, a decapping die, a priming die (also not in the TL Jr set) a case mouth belling die with the proper expanding plug, a seating die, and the #9 adaptor ring to guide the case through the handle. You can't use the FL sizing die very easily with the tong tool, because of length and lack of sufficient leverage. I've loaded a fair number of 44 Spl & Mag rounds with various 310 tools, and they work well.

Regards,
Froggie

WyrTwister
11-22-2012, 04:29 PM
I had a 310 when I was a teenager . It was caliber .38 S&W , shorter than a .38 Special .

It was a struggle . :-(

Add up the cost of the things you are going to have to purchase to get it all yto work . Now compare it to the cost os a lee hand press .

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=L+hand+press&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=Lee+++hand+press&_sacat=0

God bless
Wyr