PDA

View Full Version : New Twist To Tumble Lubing

Centaur 1
11-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I tried a new technique while applying Recluse lube on my boolits today. I use the Ranch Dog TL358-100-RF in several different guns in .380, 9mm and 38 special. I cast a lot of these and store them as cast with a coat of 45/45/10 on them. Then as my supply runs low I size them to either .356" or .358" as needed, then lube a second time after sizing. It dawned on me today after sizing 600 of them, that there was a good amount of lube remaining on all the surfaces except where it touched the sizing die. Instead of applying more lube, I added a splash of plain mineral spirits then shook the boolits around really good and dumped them out on wax paper. The mineral spirits thinned out the lube that was on the nose and base, and reapplied an even coating all over the whole boolit. They look great and they don't have that thick double coat of lube.

9-toes
11-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Cool, I have that exact same bullet prepped to lube. Will have to try that.

popper
11-14-2012, 03:09 PM
I just got globs of lube in the groove, not much and uneven on the bands.

Centaur 1
11-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I just got globs of lube in the groove, not much and uneven on the bands.

I wonder if temperature was a factor. It's still in the eighties here in Florida out in my garage. You might try using a hair dryer to warm up the boolits then give them another swirl.

popper
11-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Temp was in th 80s. I splashed some in my plastic lube pan and rolled them around a lot, it looked like the MS didn't dissolve the lube real well. Possibly I didn't wait long enough between 'washing' and 'lubing'. I just drained off the excess MS and relubed. Don't see why it wouldn't work but didn't for me this time.

noylj
11-19-2012, 10:19 PM
I place several hundred bullets in a casserole pan/dish, place bullets on their side, squirt a little LLA on them, and shuffle and roll the bullets around. If all bullets are wet and shiny looking, I have enough lube on them. If not, I squirt a little more on and shuffle/roll some more. Takes maybe a minute.
Pour out on wax paper or aluminum foil and let "dry." Very little transfers to the paper/foil, since there is little lube on the bullets, and they are good to go.
I don't size ANY of my cast bullets. Cast, Lube, Load.

gofastman
02-14-2013, 05:57 PM
thanks for the tip, it really "works" the lube into the grooves!