PDA

View Full Version : Grand Son and my Lyman 500 oops

KyBill
11-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Grandson took it all apart (how to rebalance the beam). all basket the shot weight most missing ,broke 0 indecator still their like 2 fingers top and bottom balance beam side weight off I set back on will need to peen to hold. should I put it in his toy box or will it be reliable.I only use it to weigh Bullets for black powder to see if close to same weight . Maybe I should buy an electronic scale
Just found the problem today KyBill out of level !!

Mk42gunner
11-13-2012, 10:19 PM
I'd buy a new scale, and explain to him it is a precision piece of equipment.

Robert

35remington
11-13-2012, 10:22 PM
"all basket the shot weight most missing ,broke 0 indecator still their like 2 fingers top and bottom balance beam side weight off I set back on will need to peen to hold."

What?

I'm trying to decipher that jumbled together sentence the best I can. The problem you'll have that you really cannot address is replacing the shot in the pan holder correctly so the scale reads properly across the range. You also cannot bend parts back in place or get a partially missing poise (the name for the "balance beam side weight") to read correctly once it's damaged. And unless you have a set of check weights in various weights from light to heavy, you won't know how well you've done across the scale's range in recalibrating it. The amount of shot in the pan holder is set at the factory.

Bottom line:

Send it to Lyman to refurbish it. It will and should cost you some coin to fix what your grandson wrecked.

Keep the bugger away from your stuff next time.

jcwit
11-13-2012, 11:22 PM
How old is this boy?

KyBill
11-13-2012, 11:38 PM
I figured it was shot to many little things wrong . 6 year old and highly destructive . it wasnt just taken apart was virtually Destroyed and put back together somewhat . I think it may be his Birthday present from Grandpaw this year.

jcwit
11-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Seems to me that that young man needs some supervision and training to say the least.

I sure hope you keep your guns locked up!