PDA

View Full Version : .58 in 20 gauge

linotype
11-13-2012, 05:25 PM
A question I have been considering for awhile.

Assuming a 20 gauge bore is about .62, would it be possible to fire a .58 hollow base Minie from a roll crimped 20 shotshell, like 20 gauge slugs?
In a .58 caliber muzzleloader, the .58 Minie is loaded on top of a bloack powder load. When fired, the hollow base skirts flare out as a gas seal.
Could this be done in a 20 gauge shell? Hollow base Minie ball over a power charge (black powder or smokeless). Pie crimped or roll crimped?

45-70 Chevroner
11-13-2012, 11:43 PM
I do believe that you are going to have to use a plastic shot wad. The 58 should fit just fine in the wad. I would use a plain base 58 cal. slug though. I would also use one that is 400 gr's or less. In other words keep it under 1 oz. A 58 caliber slug with out the wad is going to be some what small for the bore of a 20 guage. A 58 cal hollow base slug in a muzzle loader is land size and fills out into the groves when fired.

Tokarev
11-21-2012, 11:38 PM
From what I observed with Lee slugs, pressure can tear thru the bottom of the shot container and push it into the cavities. This is in 12ga of course, but Lee slug has a wall connecting the opposite walls of the cavity, which hollow based Minie would not have. Thus I would be concerned about distortion of the shot container and it leaking gases around circumference, thus wasting powder charge and stealing velocity. So 45-70 Chev +1!

You should be able to use 58 Minie with felt wad if you'd wrap it in milk carton and make 3-4 slices on the sides.

curator
11-22-2012, 10:43 AM
I have had excellent success using the Lee .575 minie ball in my rifled 20 gauge Handi-rifle. I load them in a normal plastic shot column. But I first fill hollow base of the minie ball with cream of wheat until over-flowing, place a 1/8" 28 ga. "Over Powder" card wad on top to slightly compress the cereal, then slide the shot sleeve over the combination. This prevents the wad from blowing up into the minie's hollow base and the card wad/Cream of wheat combination insures the minie's skirt is undamaged upon ignition. Loaded this way they shoot like a laser in a rifled barrel out to at least 100 yards. Pretty hefty recoil too!

linotype
11-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Thank you, good advice all around.
I was looking for a way to safely use .58 Minie in the 20 gauge.
Really like curator's load in a rifled 20 gauge.
I have quite a few minies left over from my Civil War reenactor days. Don't have the heart to melt them down.
Thanks for the help.

seasidehunter
11-26-2012, 04:24 AM
stumbled in here - seriously cool stuff

what are the ballistics of the above stuff ^^^^^ ??

could I whack an Elk with that setup??

SuperBlazingSabots
11-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Good morning SeaSideHunter, the answer is Y e s, provided you practice enough and get to know your point of impact at different distances.
Cook your own, burn some more powder at the range for practice.

That bullet is a bit on the Heavy side for 20 Ga. therefore shoots both ways and kick like a mule!

Be sure to protect your hearing with the best ear muff that will block
all outside sounds, usually the cheap ones that have better stronger thicker plastic head bands are the very best!
Learn from my mistakes.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/BlueoneAcopy.jpg
Have been deaf since late Oct, because I wanted fancy looking ones costing 5 to 6 times more!

Regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

flint45
11-29-2012, 06:11 PM
I tried .58 hollow base in a old stevens single shot 20 ga. we use to wrap them in paper to were they would just be a snug fit inside a shot shell with the crimp cut off.

linotype
11-30-2012, 04:28 PM
I tried .58 hollow base in a old stevens single shot 20 ga. we use to wrap them in paper to were they would just be a snug fit inside a shot shell with the crimp cut off.
Hmmm....paper patching a .58 hollow base! Interesting!