PDA

View Full Version : 91/30 Sniper

tomme boy
11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Picked this up this weekend at a fun show. I traded my Finn M39 Sako and $150 for it. I know that sounds high but the $150 is the only I had in it. I traded a bunch of boolits for the M39 an a lot of 1x fired brass and 100 new Lapua cases. The bore was very worn on the Sako. It shot OK. Also the person before me sanded the heck out of it.

I took it shooting yesterday. I was able to do a few groups right at 2" with surplus. I loaded up some full length condoms for it. All I had was some 0.308" Sierra 165gr hpbt's. I loaded them with 51.5 gr and 52.5 gr of H4350. The 51.5 gr load shot right at 1.25" for 5 shots at 100 yds. It should shoot better with some 0.311's.

It has a new perfect bore. I am going to have to do a impact slug to get a new mold made for this gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/tommeboy/101_0097.jpg

legend
11-13-2012, 05:49 PM
very nice !

i have two 91/30s both shoot decent.

one has the brass ends on the top handguard like yours,one had steel. i dont know if that means anything or not....early war production or late might have made the difference.

Fly
11-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Is it a real one or one of those 91/30s that had the sniper sight added & sold as
a real sniper?
Fly

tomme boy
11-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Supposed to be a real one by some of the things that are on the rifle. Has the C H marks on the barrel and a serial # on the side of barrel has been x'ed out. The scope has been electro penciled to the gun. So, At some time it has been through refurb.

What I really think, the gun itself is real, then someone turned it back into a sniper. The mount is all steel, and is a Ishv marked. If you look real close, you can see faint marks of a serial # that was stamped but milled off. The base is steel also. The fakes I have seen had aluminum bases an mounts.

I'll Make Mine
11-13-2012, 11:56 PM
If it shoots like a sniper and didn't cost collector money, who cares if it's original or converted? Get the right bullets in it (.311 jacketed, or slug and impact cast your bore and chamber to get the correct mold/sizing) and it ought to do well enough to hit a silhouette target out to half a klick or more. Heck, I've got a run of production 1943 91/30 that's capable of laying down a group (with surplus ammunition) that would stay on a doll target at 400 meters, and the bore is nowhere near "perfect new" condition.

43PU
02-19-2015, 12:23 PM
I know its a dead Thread but the CH means it was made by the TULA factory, however Tula never put the number of the Scope on the side of the barrel shank, that is what the Ukraine did. The brass hand guard is True Sniper though, only sniper hand guards are brass.

43PU

JeffHolt
02-19-2015, 04:57 PM
131384I have a 44 Izhevsk and the scope's serial number is stamped on the left side of the barrel shank. the electro penciled Scope mount is that way because the original mounts were NOT stamped to match hence when the guns went into be refurbed and crated, Ivan E- penciled them to make sure they all matched the right gun. Remember every scope mount was custom fitted to the gun (shim and grind).

You could have a mismatched or replacement scope which would explain struck thru numbers.

try shooting some factory Wolf Gold or PPU ammo and see if your groups don't tighten up. Should be no more than 1MOA at 100M.