PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Press Parts

rikkit
07-21-2005, 10:16 PM
I purchased a Hollywood Turret Head reloading press from a local gun shop and was wondering if there is a source for information and parts for this "honey", MY most urgent need is for the primer seating "stems". A large and small one came with the press but, after threading them into the lower turret they appear to be about a 1/2" too short to seat the primer in the brass. Thanks in advance

Scrounger
07-21-2005, 10:33 PM
I purchased a Hollywood Turret Head reloading press from a local gun shop and was wondering if there is a source for information and parts for this "honey", MY most urgent need is for the primer seating "stems". A large and small one came with the press but, after threading them into the lower turret they appear to be about a 1/2" too short to seat the primer in the brass. Thanks in advance

Not familiar at all with these models. But C & H lives on... Check out this web site. They MIGHT be able to help you.
http://hunting.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ch4d.com%2F

floodgate
07-21-2005, 11:53 PM
rikkit:

You MAY be in luck! Acording to the latest (2003) 18th Edition* of "Handloader's Digest" the Hollywood presses are being made once again. Check with: Hollywood Engineering, 10642 Arminta St., Sun Valley, CA 91352; phone [818] 842-8376, and let us know how you make out.

floodgate

*Don't waste your money paying list price for this issue (they've been dumping them on eBay); the product guides are badly written and edited as compared with earlier editions, though it has a couple of useful articles, including a good one by Jim Foral on Jim Harvey's zinc-washer-base "Prot-X-Bore" cast bullets.

floodgate
07-21-2005, 11:59 PM
rikkit: For some reason, that Hollywood Eng'g. Area Code came out with a "smiley" and I couldn't edit it out. I'll try again with a different format: 818-842-8376. floodgate

rikkit
07-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Floodgate, I called that 818 842 8376# I got a recording for the "Muller" residence, I didn't leave a message. Rich L

rikkit
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Scrounger, I e-mailed CH and inquired about the parts, I have to see what their reply is.

floodgate
07-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Floodgate, I called that 818 842 8376# I got a recording for the "Muller" residence, I didn't leave a message. Rich L

rikkit:

Sorry 'bout that; I re-checked and that was the number given in HLD #18. Chalk up another editorial blunder! Try a letter to the street address; OR, they also gave a FAX number: 818-504-4168 (I double-checked that one, too). Let us know if you get through. I had one of those big Hollywood presses, but it was the one with only three die stations on a swinging sector on the turret pivot. It was a real monster, and took up too much space for my bench - but boy was it rugged!

scrounger:

Is there some connection you know of between Hollywood and C-H? I didn't know of any.

floodgate

Scrounger
07-22-2005, 04:26 PM
rikkit:

Sorry 'bout that; I re-checked and that was the number given in HLD #18. Chalk up another editorial blunder! Try a letter to the street address; OR, they also gave a FAX number: 818-504-4168 (I double-checked that one, too). Let us know if you get through. I had one of those big Hollywood presses, but it was the one with only three die stations on a swinging sector on the turret pivot. It was a real monster, and took up too much space for my bench - but boy was it rugged!

scrounger:

Is there some connection you know of between Hollywood and C-H? I didn't know of any.

floodgate

Probably only in my mind. Check out that web page I referenced, see if you see any connection. Check their H press.

rikkit
07-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Scrounger, I got an email from CH4D they said their only association with Hollywood was to purchase die reamers from them 20 yrrs ago. I'm gonna keep a-lookin

gutshot_again
07-24-2005, 05:30 PM

Might be worth leaving a msg. I talked to them a year or so back and I thought it was a couple that were running the office part of the business out of the their house.

ordway
07-29-2005, 06:24 PM
This firm at one time called itself M & M Engineering, but now goes by the name of Hollywood Engineering.
The owners, Joe & Margaret Mueller, are the last successor/owners to own the rights to manufacture this press.
The original manufacturer was Hollywood Gun Shop located at 6116 Hollywood Blvd. at Gower in Hollywood, CA.
From Hollywood Gun Shop, Mueller became the 3rd or 4th owner.
I called his place of business last month and requested a current catalog which he promised to send and I am still waiting for!
Several years ago, I visited his "place of business" and it looked like it had been hit by a major earthquake. His manufacturing facility is an ancient metal clad quonset type hut with junk and parts strewn all over the place such that you could only enter the building via a narrow pathway.
Next to the quonset hut was a frame and stucco small bungalow where they lived. There were several dogs running around his yard with mounds of poop which you had to hop-scotch over.
I've used a Hollywood Senior Turret Press for more than 35 years. It's a great machine. My reason for contacting Joe was to purchase a universal shell holder that would accept RCBS and Lyman shell holders.
Their address and telephone number are: 10642 Arminta St., Sun Valley, CA 91352, Phone = 818-842-8376. No email address. Good Luck!

klw
07-31-2005, 12:29 AM
For years I collected Hollywoods. Never got a true Universal (Hollywood bought the Universal design) but had just about every model Hollywood made including John Amber's Hollywood Super Turret and a small machine that had been given by the company to Elmer Keith.

M&M Engineering could still supply parts back then. They never made much but they did buy out Lyle Corcoran's supply of parts when he closed up shop. Eventually they were selling so many parts that they claimed that they were going back into the business of making the machines. Lyle sued them. All he sold them was his remaining parts inventory not the rights to make the machine or use the name. That lawsuite went on for years.

The easiest parts to get fabricated are the primer posts. I'm sure about that because I had a local machinest make several. Just take him the one you have and ask him to make a longer copy. Worked for me. No big deal.

When I sold my press collection to Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque there was a large supply of spare parts for not only the Hollywood but Jordans and other old presses. You might try talking to Ron (not one of his employees) to see if he still has those. My guess is that he does.

wills
08-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Phonebook results for 818 842 8376
Hollywood Engineering, (818) 842-8376, 10642 Arminta St, Sun Valley, CA 91352 Google Maps Yahoo! Maps MapQuest

rikkit
08-04-2005, 10:05 PM
KLW, spent some time at the local hardware store and came up with some parts to solve my primer stem being too short. The thread pattern for the primer turret tuned out to be 5/16 X 18tpi. I ran a 2" in bolt up through the turret along with a jam nut, I then placed a union nut on top the bolt and threaded the primers stem into the top of the uniion nut. A little adjusting and I managed to prime my first cases. Total cost under $4.

j4570
08-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Here is a link to a page that has some info about Hollywood presses:

http://www.obscure-reference.com/guns/reloading/hollywood/index.html

A scanned copy of a 2000 catalog is there too.

Jason