PDA

View Full Version : Starting to cast for rifles need some advice

elioct
11-13-2012, 10:10 AM
My father and I started reloading our handgun rounds about a year ago, we love it. I even started doing my own casting after reading hours of posts here.

We have a Dillon 650 that we load our hand gun stuff with and he is wanting to start doing some 5.56 for his ar. so we are familiar with reloading in general.

I would like some help geting into loading .308/7.62 rounds, what equipment would you suggest as far as press. I do not think we want to go with a big progressive press like the dillon we have. somthing we can just make some nice rounds with, we do not shoot nearly as much .308. also somthing that we could also load for my uncle's 300 winmag would be a plus.

Thanks in advance

cajun shooter
11-13-2012, 11:28 AM
It all depends on the total number of rounds needed and what they are going to be used for. I have loaded since 1968 and there are several ways to do it. If you are going to load precision type hunting or target rounds for the rifle then you have to think what steps to take.
By that I mean, you should anneal case necks, trim to length, do both the inside and outside of the case mouths and even weigh the cases.
For that type of loading, a nice single stage press will work fine.
If you intend to spray and pray tin cans and other dump type targets then a progressive with a automatic case station is needed.
It all depends on the time and to what degree of accuracy you are seeking as to equipment you choose.

Larry Gibson
11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
The top end single stage Lyman, RCBS or Hornady presses would be my choice. Many times a quality used one can be found at reasonable savings.

I also strongly recommend standard RCBS X-dies for both the .223/5.56 and .308W/7.62 if they are to be used in gas guns. The standard dies are perfect and the SB or "AR" X- dies are not deeded if the rifles have standard ml spec or SAAMI spec chambers. With the X-dies you will get a much larger number of firings per case and will not have to trim the cases.

Larry Gibson

L1A1Rocker
11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
If you plan on using once fired military brass I highly recommend you get a small base sizing die. Often times military brass has been fired through a machine gun with less than ideal head space. The small base die will insure you get the case back into correct shape.

elioct
11-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Looking for the accuracy for target shooting, we want to try to hit 1k yds regularly. we have some .223's for all our spray and pray needs, and the dillon to reload that.

I want to do some nice long range target shooting with the loads, and perhaps even beginning to cast the boolits for the .308 if i get a wild hair.

popper
11-13-2012, 06:49 PM
top end SS. You will be spending money on die and case prep tools and will end up loading a lot more than you think. And a good notebook.

runfiverun
11-13-2012, 10:13 PM
bout the only thing you'll have in common between the tools needed to shoot cast and 1-k groups will be the press and the case trimmer.

see below....

KYCaster
11-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Lee Classic Cast press.........IMO the best product Lee makes.

It handles spent primers and primes better than any other single stage press I've used.......plenty stout too.

Jerry

largom
11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Lee Classic Cast press.........IMO the best product Lee makes.

It handles spent primers and primes better than any other single stage press I've used.......plenty stout too.

Jerry

Although I have 2 RCBS Rockchuckers I am very impressed with the Lee Classic Cast press my son-in-law has.

Larry

koehn,jim
11-16-2012, 08:32 PM
If you have a Dillon 650 why buy another press, I love Dillon and would just switch the dies and powder measure. Spend the money on good dies and have fun.

WyrTwister
11-22-2012, 08:41 PM
My father and I started reloading our handgun rounds about a year ago, we love it. I even started doing my own casting after reading hours of posts here.

We have a Dillon 650 that we load our hand gun stuff with and he is wanting to start doing some 5.56 for his ar. so we are familiar with reloading in general.

I would like some help geting into loading .308/7.62 rounds, what equipment would you suggest as far as press. I do not think we want to go with a big progressive press like the dillon we have. somthing we can just make some nice rounds with, we do not shoot nearly as much .308. also somthing that we could also load for my uncle's 300 winmag would be a plus.

Thanks in advance

Either the cast iron Lee turret press or single stage press with the Safety Prime .

God bless
Wyr

DCM
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
There is a guy sitting front center here http://usavrt.org/2007_veterans.htm by the name of Earl Liebetrau.
He has won a couple of 1000 yard matches in his life and has been on the US Palma team and veterans team.
He loads his ammo on a Dillon.
If you don't believe me ask him yourself.

Edit: he won the Wimbledon cup a few times, 1988 & 1990.