PDA

View Full Version : Newbe with questions

BHTArrows
11-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Howdy folks, I'm a newbe by sorts to the site and I've checked it over and you folks seem to be very helpful. I just picked up a used Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70 that was built in 2001. It is a great looking gun but I don't have a lot of knowledge about them so if there is any info on this year I'd love to hear about them.

The rifle came with one of the Pine Ridge 3-9x40 Leverevolution scopes on it and is suppose to be sighted in for the Hornady ammo. It also came with about 120 rounds of the Hornady ammo. I plan to go shoot it as is this week and maybe deer hunt with it next week.

The scope will be taken off in the near future. I've order one of the Marble Arms Bullseye Rear Sight to replace the Buckhorn until I fully decide which sight I want to put on the rifle. I'd like a tang sight, but would like to hear from you folks on this subject.

Next I will want to reload for this rifle and I do want to use Cast Boolits and don't want to break my shoulder. I'm thinking a 300gr RNFP and want it loaded hot enough to stop deer and hogs, but not so hot it will hurt on the other end or at least hurt a lot. I'm thinking a load that will give me something like 1400-1500fps. Would love to hear of any favorite loads in this range any of you might have.

Thanks in advance,
Derek

11-13-2012, 10:34 AM
If it's zeroed with what you have, go with it for now. I'm assuming it's a .30-30, so it's a very easy round to load for. Brass is sensitive, kind of, but there's a reason it's been around for so long. Many will chime in soon about favorite boolits, etc and they all will be right. I like the 311041, but that's me. If you are looking for a future peep sight, I'd sugest looking at the web site for Skinner Sights. Very cool and sturdy.

BHTArrows
11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry how dumb of me to leave off the caliber, it is a 45-70, I fixed the thread. Thanks!!!!

wv109323
11-13-2012, 04:43 PM
I have the same rifle. I have not yet done any load development for it BUT I have some popular loads from this board that are favorites. That rifle with that Leverrevolution ammo kills on both ends.
These loads are what I have jotted down from time to time. Please verify the loads before using.
31.5 gn. of SR4759 with a 330 gn. cast Boolit
25.0 to 35.0 gn. of XMP 5744 with a 300 gn. Cast. 35.0 has sharp recoil. 25.0 gn. Mild
23.0 gn. of "2400" with a Ranch Dog 350 gn. Cast Boolit

BHTArrows
11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I have the same rifle. I have not yet done any load development for it BUT I have some popular loads from this board that are favorites. That rifle with that Leverrevolution ammo kills on both ends.
These loads are what I have jotted down from time to time. Please verify the loads before using.
31.5 gn. of SR4759 with a 330 gn. cast Boolit
25.0 to 35.0 gn. of XMP 5744 with a 300 gn. Cast. 35.0 has sharp recoil. 25.0 gn. Mild
23.0 gn. of "2400" with a Ranch Dog 350 gn. Cast Boolit

Thanks, I like the sounds of the second one especially if my rifle likes something in the 30gn range.

BHTArrows
11-13-2012, 11:13 PM
By the way here is a picture of my new baby.

bigted
11-13-2012, 11:27 PM
allow me to describe a very fun and probably an addictive load for your cowboy/octagon barreled/lever rifle that is a bit on the lite side...

take a 400ish grain boolit of .458 or .459 inch diameter...get/aquire some cardboard wads of the same diameter...get some GOEX 1 or 2 f blackpowder...now meassure the depth of the seating depth you will need for an overall loaded cartridge length of 2.550 inch...now fill your case to around 1/8th inch over this level in the case...install the cardboard wad over the powder and seat your boolit to the described depth...now slightly crimp so the bell is gone and go outside as dusk falls and squeeze the first one off. after the shock of all the sparks and billow of sweet smellin cloud of smoke goes away then set rite down and wait till the grin leaves your mug. this will be the most fun you may ever have with a shootin iron.

oh and welcome to the forum...have a ball with your cowboy rifle and report back with results...

another good load is with RL-7 powder...34 grains powder behind the same 400ish boolit...should give around the shootability you want without shaking yer molars lose.

if your a tall...longarmed galloot like myself then the lace-up pad sold at buff arms will add some nastalgic leather to your rifle while adding the needed length of pull for a more comfy shootin iron...to say nuttin of the padded stock extension...all in all this was and is the best addition to any of my marlins.

bobthenailer
11-14-2012, 08:18 AM
I worked up this load for my BIL Marlin CB 45/70 and it is very accurate and pleasent to shoot
Saeco #017 350gr FPGC , 31grs of 5744. good luck !
If you would like to try some bullets ? drop me a PM

BHTArrows
11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys for the replies!!!

I'd like to play with some BP loads but there is no place in the Houston area to get any. I've played with the substitutes in my cappers and flinters and just don't like to go there. I have some 3F for my revolvers, but that is it.

I still have to get my dies and some brass before I can start loading. bob, I'll get that PM to you as I would like to try some. That load sounds good also and I've heard that 5744 is a really good 45-70 powder.

runfiverun
11-14-2012, 01:36 PM
it's pretty good.
i'll second the 23.0 grs of 2400 in the 45-70.
i use a tuft of dacron filler, and either a 405 or 435 gr boolit with that load.
it's like shooting a big 44 mag round really.

BHTArrows
11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
it's pretty good.
i'll second the 23.0 grs of 2400 in the 45-70.
i use a tuft of dacron filler, and either a 405 or 435 gr boolit with that load.
it's like shooting a big 44 mag round really.

Thanks, I'll add that to my list!!! :)

A question, have you are anyone used cap-n-ball pistol wads to replace cardboard or dacron filler? Because they are lubed (dry lube) I would put a thin piece of carboard or paper between them and the powder. I have some for my .44s that I'll try and see the fit in a casing tonight.

runfiverun
11-14-2012, 03:20 PM
nooo.
you don't want a wad of dacron,or board, or tyvek,or......anything else.
the "filler" needs to touch both the powder and the boolit with some slight compression,regardless of whether used with black or smokeless.
the recommendation of a dacron filler is so you have a powder positioner in the case otherwise you suffer from inconsistent ignition [vertical stringing] and velocity variations.
but it must hold the powder in place and touch the base of the boolit.
you don't cram 5 grains of it in the case but you need to use about 1.5 grs to keep everything in place properly.
a consistent size/weight of the filler will help with consistency in the load.
seems like a pita to do but the results are worth the effort,especially with hunting rounds and even more so in a levergun.
a card or wad placed on top of the powder is an invite to trouble from the wad moving around in the case [causing poor accuracy]
or worse it being shoved forward against the base of the boolit when the round is fired [ringed chamber]

BHTArrows
11-14-2012, 11:27 PM
nooo.
you don't want a wad of dacron,or board, or tyvek,or......anything else.
the "filler" needs to touch both the powder and the boolit with some slight compression,regardless of whether used with black or smokeless.
the recommendation of a dacron filler is so you have a powder positioner in the case otherwise you suffer from inconsistent ignition [vertical stringing] and velocity variations.
but it must hold the powder in place and touch the base of the boolit.
you don't cram 5 grains of it in the case but you need to use about 1.5 grs to keep everything in place properly.
a consistent size/weight of the filler will help with consistency in the load.
seems like a pita to do but the results are worth the effort,especially with hunting rounds and even more so in a levergun.
a card or wad placed on top of the powder is an invite to trouble from the wad moving around in the case [causing poor accuracy]
or worse it being shoved forward against the base of the boolit when the round is fired [ringed chamber]

Thanks for the info I do appreciate it very much!!!! One more question on filler, I've read that some folks are using the starch packing peanuts they sale at Staples. Anyone use these or have any info on them? Sounded like you could cut them so they would do just what you described above with a lot of consistancy.

Also, any recommendation on which dies are best or some pros and cons of the different dies. I like to get my duck all in a row before I start something.

Thanks

runfiverun
11-15-2012, 02:37 AM
i have tried the "green" type and the styro type, i didn't mess with them a whole lot, but getting the squish on them just right made a big difference in accuracy.
going back to quilt batting was a whole lot easier.

the marlins do a bit better with a boolit that's big [460 or 461]
i'm not sure if rcbs makes a "cowboy' die set or not, i went with the hornady set and have no problem seating 460 diameter boolits for my browning 86.

BHTArrows
11-15-2012, 08:14 AM
I heard the Hornady dies were best. Did you get the micro adjust seater? Do you use a crimping die for your loads?

BCRider
11-15-2012, 06:08 PM
BHT, are you familiar with the reloading data website run by Hodgdon?

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I suspect that if you look at the load data for the 1873 Trapdoor Springfield you'll find that the loads described there will suit your desire for a milder recoil with around a 1500'ish muzzle velocity.

If your favourite powder isn't listed on their site you can use the pressure and velocity data to extend to selecting loads for other powders that would be equivalent. The "key" to all this being that the old original Springfield trapdoors were near their limit at the sort of pressures found in the black powder loads of the day. So the loads for the smokeless powders given here mimic the sort of max pressure found in the old black powder rounds.

BHTArrows
11-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks BC!!!

My new sight came in so I pulled the scope off of my baby. This sight is a Marble Arms Bullseye and it replaces the original rear sight. Just got back from the range after sighting her in. It took 4 shots to get her right and then I shot a 5 shot group.....I'm in love!!!

BCRider
11-15-2012, 10:43 PM
That's very nice shooting for iron sights! ! ! I'd be in love with the new toy too if I could shoot it that well!

BHTArrows
11-15-2012, 11:15 PM
That's very nice shooting for iron sights! ! ! I'd be in love with the new toy too if I could shoot it that well!

Thanks, I'll take that today, tomorrow might be a different story. Just like everything these days, some days are good some not so good. 30 years ago when I was a young whipper snapper with young eyes I could do that everyday. Oh for those young eyes once more.