PDA

View Full Version : First test batch 25-35 Loads

novalty
11-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Well this past weekend I finally got out to try my first reloads for my Grandmother's old Winchester 94 in 25-35. Not much for shooting rifles, and generally didn't care about leverguns, but got fascinated with the caliber. Like I said I rarely shoot rifles, and when I do it is usually from a bench, but never shot this gun before so I went out as far as I could clearly see the center dot of the target through the factory buckhorn sites. This is a picture of the 6 rounds I reloaded.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/038_zpsfa51421e.jpg

This is the target, circle is 2" in diameter.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Winchester/94%20in%2025%2035/005.jpg

I am not a fan of recoil, and this round was a pleasure to shoot. I used factory new Winchester brass, and Hornady 117gr. BTSP--fed the BTSP in one at a time from the top to avoid primer detonation in the tube. I used Federal Large Rifle primers and 19.0 grains of Benchmark. Was amazed at the lack of carbon residue and tarnishing on the cases after firing. Next range trip I will try from a rest at 100 yards and load up some batches in with some slightly increasing powder charges to get the POI aligned with POA.

bigted
11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
i believe that these have a slower twist then will stabalize those bullets...im thinking that the 100 or 117 grain cast boolits will have a longer bore grabbing surface and therby do a bit better on the accuracy dept....esp if im reading your target correctly...15 YRDS? this is a very fun rifle and i kick myself eveytime i think about the 26 inch octagon barreled winchester that i allowed to depart from me years ago so chambered.

have fun with a dynamite round and as you know...dont use them pointy projectiles in a tube mag. also for my eyes the peep is a better choice for accuracy...which should be mounted on the left side of the action and project up and over and above the bolt and ...yours should be drilled and tapped for it already.

GL49
11-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Ditto on the peep sight. My old eyes have trouble with the buckhorn sights, never did like the looks of a receiver mounted peep sight on a lever action until I tried it on my '86 45-70. Now I won't go back.
The 25-35 is a fun cartridge, you'll like it.

novalty
11-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Hoping to get out tomorrow and try out some more reloads from 100 yards, this time from a bench. Using the same Hornady BTSP projectiles and the same Benchmark powder, I loaded up 20 rounds:

5 with 19.0 grains
5 with 19.5 grains
5 with 20.0 grains
5 with 20.5 grains.

My manual list 21.0 grains as the maximum load. Will try to post pics of the targets. Hoping I can still get some good grouping.