PDA

View Full Version : Swaging rims on rimless cases

10x
11-13-2012, 12:42 AM
For all of you guys that want to put a rim on 7x57 Mauser to make 7mm Rigby,
or to build a rimmed .223 single shot rifle this website is great.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/44-06_rimmed_douglas.html

I'll Make Mine
11-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Whoa -- same technique => 9 mm Auto Rim (load in 9 mm revolvers made for moon clips, without the clips), or make your own .45 AR brass (which I hear is hard to find). As noted, it ought to work with any rimless, semi-rimmed, or rebated case (as long as the rebatement is within reason; .50 Beowulf might be excessive). Best part is, the swaging tool is simple, anyone with a small lathe should be able to make a set in an hour or so.

longbow
11-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Not criticizing as there are probably some good reasons to swage on a rim especially if reproducing some long out of print cartridges without the custom price of specially made brass but...

The sample cartridge of .44-06 is also done rimless and headspaces on the case mouth ~ successfully I understand, as does .444 Rimless based on 6mm Remington blown out.

Not sure why that wouldn't be effective for many wildcats based on rimless cartridges. It works for most semi auto handgun cartridges, .30 Carbine, 450 Bushmaster, etc.

Yes, you have to maintain correct brass length and maybe more meticulously than if headspace is on a should, rim or belt but not a big deal in my book.

Nonetheless, an interesting technique and seemingly pretty easy to do, and something I would not have though of. I am sure it has applications like I'll Make Mine mentions.

The learning never stops!

Longbow

I'll Make Mine
11-14-2012, 11:00 PM
The sample cartridge of .44-06 is also done rimless and headspaces on the case mouth ~ successfully I understand, as does .444 Rimless based on 6mm Remington blown out.

The original article concerned a double rifle built for rimmed cases -- headspace could be changed to the mouth, since the author was reaming new chambers anyway, but that wouldn't make the extractors work with a rimless case. Yes, there are ways to do this, but they involve altering the operation of a nice old rifle (or at least destined to be nice after correcting the Bubba work), and none of them are as simple as creating suitable rimmed cases.

longbow
11-15-2012, 12:26 AM
I guess I didn't read it all but you are right, that is a good example of when this would be a good idea.

One should not be Bubba'ing a good gun when there is a better solution.

I'll Make Mine
11-15-2012, 08:17 AM
One should not be Bubba'ing a good gun when there is a better solution.

Exactly.

Of course, there were other (probably simpler) choices available; for instance, either .303 or 7.62x54R are originally rimmed cases, and both are big enough (larger head than .30-06) to still retain some shoulder or taper when expanded to carry .45 bullets; further, in a suitably strong action either can be loaded to .30-06 pressure levels (in this case, with a wildcat chamber, one doesn't have to worry about the high pressure rounds winding up in an original SMLE or Mosin Nagant with lower pressure limits); the smaller case capacities will only slightly reduce top performance.

In fact, the 7.62x54R is very close to the same head and rim size as the .410 that nice piece had been Bubba reamed for...

GOPHER SLAYER
11-28-2012, 10:34 PM
I first read about this idea many years ago in a magizine which I still have by the way. I think it was in a Guns magizine. It is too late to look for it now. I had a nice lathe at the time. I made the dies without difficulty and the bases were no problem either. I just couldn't get the brass to flow like the man who wrote the article did. The 444 Marlin made converting 06 brass unnecessary.