PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits Cookbook

x101airborne
11-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey all.
As with all of us this time of year, I have been processing game, canning the last of the garden veggies, cooking fresh game for the family, etc. So as I come across a good recipe that the family enjoys or works out particularly well, I have been printing them out an putting them in an impromtu cookbook of sorts. Wich, in turn made my old gears start squeaking. Yeah, yeah, sqeaky wheels get grease, but this is more like having a single piston steam engine that is running backwards.
So, what if we made a Cast Boolits Cookbook? I have posted my sausage and green bean recipies here on the forum for all to see and I know others have freely given out their heirloom recipies, but how about we put together a real A-list of favorites, have them bound and illustrated, then sell them as a site benefit? We could do about 100 to start and make, say, 5.00 per book profit and give back to the site. Anyone could ram-rod this thing, but I would be happy to do it and post digital copies of any reciepts and expenses in an effort to provide financial transparency.
So what say ye all. And let me hear the yay's and nay's. This is just an idea so lets beat this around a while.
Thanks.
Trey

Idaho Mule
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Trey, I like it. I like it a lot. Was just fortunate enough to have a visit from my youngest brother and his wife, they spent the weekend here and just left for their home in Portland, OR. As kids we grew up learning how to cook, clean, etc.. With 7 of us kids, Mom wasn't about to do it all so we learned. My youngest brother (Ivan) loves sausage making as much as I do and we had a great visit swapping different recipes, a few too many beers, and general bs. Living in Portland he does not get to hunt near as much as he likes so I always load him up with deer and elk whenever they visit. The Iowa Farmer Sausage, (his name for it) that he brought was GREAT!! We had that for breakfast yesterday morning. Had some links that I made this morning, no real name, just half elk and half pork with the right spices. But to get back to your question, I would be happy to contribute to a recipe book, it would be fun to share with others, as well as learn some new things. JW

Bullet Caster
11-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I think this is a great idea. Although I don't have but one receipe and that's for homemade oatmeal cookies. Anything to keep this site going is +1 in my book. So ya think a digital cookbook would suffice or a printed one. Digital would probably be the way to go. Just charge $$ for the digital download. Other sites do it. BC

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-12-2012, 06:23 PM
I have a really unique country wine recipe that I could submit.
Jon

Jim
11-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Of course, you KNOW I'm gonna submit one for baked 'coon!

x101airborne
11-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Great! I am glad to hear I am just half baked. I was trying for 3/4's!
ANY recipe would be included. Cookies, beer, sausage, garden veggies, meats, side dishes, everything that we stewards of the land have grown to love and linger over would be included. I in fact am looking for a good canned squash recipe. I had it once, but never made it and it was great. My aunt told me the jar we were eating was around 3 years old and tasted GREAT. She is long gone, but I have always missed that recipe. I was also thinking about including my saurkraut recipe in the mix as well.

Now a DIGITAL download! What a GREAT idea! For whatever reason, I did not think about that. That would keep costs to nothing and I could turn the book over to the site to allow them to collect revenue and administer downloads themselves. Well, if they so wished. I was hoping to raise about 500 bucks for the site this fall, but a digital copy would negate costs and more people would be able to not only contribute, but to purchase our book! It would give me chills to raise another grand for the site.

x101airborne
11-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Of course, you KNOW I'm gonna submit one for baked 'coon!

Actually I was gonna holler at ya about that. I had a half grown one in my feed bin this morning and put him out with a claw hammer. I know it sounds cruel, but when you got that little bundle of teeth by the tail, you just dont have time to go get a gun!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-12-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm in , sounds good

it will of course have deserts and hot dishes besides game recipes correct

wine recipes sound good also

i got a good recipe for pear cobbler , mac and cheese , and a tomato basil soup all family favorites

41 mag fan
11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I would be happy to do it and post digital copies of any reciepts and expenses in an effort to provide financial transparency.
Thanks.
Trey

Trey this is a perfect idea. Maybe the ones who want to submit the recipes can have their handles put on their recipe...I.E. Hamburger sliders by 41 mag fan?

But on the financial transparency part, I think that alot of us whose been on here for years have grown to become a family of sorts.
I wouldn't need to see any financial transparency. I know you can be trusted.

But I'm game to put in a recipe or 2 and to pay to get a digital or book bound version.

Just keep me informed and if you need any help on this let me know.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
great idea,
I'd prefer the choice of either digital or a printed version.
I prefer printed books myself

Jim
11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I'd rather have a copy I can reach up and pull down to sit and peruse my choices.

SciFiJim
11-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I would rather have a printed version. I keep a lot of recipes on the computer, but have to print them out to use them. The computer is just too difficult to get into the kitchen.

I would be in with a few recipes. I would also be in for a printed version.

There are a number of good cookbook publishers on the web. Do you think that wold be the way to go, or have one of the members print them and mail them?

Does anyone have any experience with a cookbook fundraiser?

MT Gianni
11-12-2012, 08:14 PM
IDoes anyone have any experience with a cookbook fundraiser?
My wife did one and said no amount of goodwill could convince her to do another. I think the best way is on a CD and then print off the ones you want to cook. Eventually you will get a book full of what you will use.

x101airborne
11-12-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm in , sounds good

it will of course have deserts and hot dishes besides game recipes correct

wine recipes sound good also

i got a good recipe for pear cobbler , mac and cheese , and a tomato basil soup all family favorites

But of course it would! Game is great, but we need sides, desserts, drink, etc to make a meal.

And yes, I would not present someones recipe without their handle included. Like our little flags that tell people we were here, we need to give credit. Even if later we choose to modify a recipe for our tastes, we still need to give credit.

Bullet Caster
11-12-2012, 09:17 PM
As for my suggestion of a digital download, you could always print out the receipes you want to try. I was just thinking about how to keep costs at a minimum. Glad you liked my idea x101airborne. I like the other idea as well, a CD of all the receipes. You could print the ones you like. I'll definitely be submitting my cookie receipe. BC

x101airborne
11-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Well, with permission from the site and the mods, I will start accepting recipies for this endeavor via PM.
If NOTHING else, I will donate 100 disks and write them on my computer and let yall just make a donation to the site for the disk. It should not cost more than about 3 dollars for a padded envelope to ship, although I will have to check. So, lets hear em! What makes you think of Grandma's deer stew, or Grandpa's deer camp "coffee", or Uncle Ray's "buttermilk", or biscuits, or cobbler in a dutch oven.... etc? Let's really dig deep into the past and relive some of the lost generations recipies and ones we have recently come to love.

runfiverun
11-12-2012, 09:36 PM
a cd that could be printed out would work.
cheap to mail too.

we'd need a honcho to collect the recipes and the cash.[etc]
a helper could do the copying and such.
i bet i could get littlegirl to put in her bananna bread recipe, i could put in my asparagus soup.
no problems.

smoked turkey
11-12-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm not much of a cook like some of you but I do make a mean waffle and bisquits from scratch. Other than that I am IN! Sounds like a great idea.

camaro1st
11-12-2012, 09:46 PM
sounds delicious, i mean great idea.

Love Life
11-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm in. I hope ya'll know I am a southern man, so everything I cook is with grease and gravy (as it should be).

I'll dig through my collection of eats and send some via PM.

waksupi
11-12-2012, 09:51 PM
You can use my pesole from the cooking section, along with anything else you may find. .

x101airborne
11-12-2012, 10:37 PM
You can use my pesole from the cooking section, along with anything else you may find. .

Thank you.
And to let everyone know, I will be doing a lot of archiving to bring up recipies that have been posted and will include handles of posters. I will TRY to contact the origional posters to ask about revisions before including their recipies. Since I will be looking at what has been posted in open forum, I am guessing that it is released for public use, but like I said, I will try to contact the OP first. Everyone give me suggestions as I have never done this before and want to treat everyone with respect, so if I happen to stub someones toe, catch me before I make a real donkey of myself.

Bad Water Bill
11-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Here is a great place to start collecting recipes.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Only 681 threads there with more coming every day. :bigsmyl2:

Now how much should we be willing to pay for heirloom really good instructions for a great meal?

x101airborne
11-12-2012, 11:00 PM
I would like to see it kept at costs + shipping + 5.00. If we can keep it low enough to sell to almost everyone we will make a lot more than selling a couple at a high amount. And I just dont see that selling something at a high mark-up is the right thing to do. If we can keep it low cost and let everyone enjoy, it will be all the more worth it.

x101airborne
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Here is a great place to start collecting recipes.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Only 681 threads there with more coming every day. :bigsmyl2:

Now how much should we be willing to pay for heirloom really good instructions for a great meal?

Sorry, Bad Water Bill. I think I mis-read your post. You said "willing" not "what it is worth", so thank you for your vote of support. And absolutely right. We could get all kinds of German, French, Irish, Bohemian, Native American, etc. influences included and re-live these recipies that have the chance of being lost to time. This is our chance to preserve who we are and have a written record of the things that make us, us.

And anyone who has a mule in their avatar HAS to have a peach cobbler recipe in their book somewhere! LOL! Can anyone say Dutch Oven Cookin!!

SciFiJim
11-12-2012, 11:59 PM
I would like to suggest heading for the different recipes. These are from a cookbook that was given to me years ago and the headings have helped immensely.

Beverages

Appetizers

Soups/Stews

Breads

Sweet Breads (like honey buns and such)

Spreads

Salads

Salad Dressings

Eggs/Cheese

Entrees
Beef
Pork
Poultry
Seafood
Game

Vegetables

Grains/Pasta

Sauces

Accompaniments

Cakes

Pies

Cookies

Candy

Desserts

Cooking for the Troops (cooking for large groups)

crabo
11-13-2012, 12:06 AM
You can download to a flashdrive and print it yourself, or take it to Office Depot and have them print it and bind it for you.

I like the idea of $5 for a digital download, and then charge another $1 or 2 for a cd with mailing. That way you get enough money for the site.

waksupi
11-13-2012, 12:21 AM
If you remember the old Bull Herter's cookbooks, you also need sections for fish bait, whiskey making, wine, shoe polish, etc.

x101airborne
11-13-2012, 12:28 AM
If you remember the old Bull Herter's cookbooks, you also need sections for fish bait, whiskey making, wine, shoe polish, etc.

Ah, yes. Very true. I have a recipe for catfish soap to include and would like to learn more about making whiskey, so all good points! Thanks!

Bad Water Bill
11-13-2012, 12:56 AM
i checked the other day on some of George Herters Cookbooks and was amazed at how much they are selling for. Big bucks.

I have a cook book from a church in Ogema Wi. The recipes are from OLD folks that donated their favorite ones to be included in it. When I got to the back page it reads Walter's Publishing ---WASECA MN. I knew several of the women in the book so I think it is safe to say some of there are close to 100 years old. And yes I can remember my aunt putting the wood in her stove to cook and bake some of these favorites.

Now the bad part. I use a one finger typing system so it would take another 100 years to get them posted. If anyone would like to volunteer typing I will pay postage both ways to help the site and will throw in a 3 x 5 card with an old U S ARMY recipe for chilli. One meal is on the card BUT by x 2 you have 2 meals and by 100 you are feeding the army. It came from an OLD retired army cook 50 years ago so I can guarantee it is good.

Any takers?

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-13-2012, 12:57 AM
PM sent to x101airborne

Recipe for my beet-gooseberry wine, it was an alteration of a 100 yr old recipe...the fermentation procedure is modernized, yet simple for any one to follow.

x101airborne
11-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Bad Water, I would re-type it for you.
Please send to
Trey Meyer
24250 US Hwy 77 North
Yoakum, Tx 77995

Bad Water Bill
11-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Thank you sir.

clintsfolly
11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
The Wife made up a family cookbook a while ago. She had it all on a CD and took to Kinkos and had them printed and and bonded. The Cost was not bad and it made a great xmas gift. Will try and keep up with this thread and if it it get going will take one. Headed for deer camp this morning and will be back next week. have some thing to add. Clint

x101airborne
11-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Guys, I talked with the missus a little last nite and we looked at the logistics of it all and it SEEMS a go! From what we have seen, about the most expensive we have come up with is around 13.00 for the book, 5.00 for shipping and we could round this off to 25.00 total and give up to 7.00 per book to the site. Now, they said that large orders would be cheaper, but they did not specify on their site, so I will have to call them when I get back from the doctor's office.

krag35
11-13-2012, 08:20 AM
I would gladly buy one for $25.00. I believe I have a couple recipes in here somewhere, and you are more than welcome to them.

Jim
11-13-2012, 08:56 AM
I know there's gonna be a gazillion venison recipes offered and that's a good thing. I'll contribute the baked 'coon recipe and I'm sure Janet will be happy to give her sweet potato donuts recipe. Oh, man! Them things are so good, it'll make ya' slap ya' Moma!

WILCO
11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
a cd that could be printed out would work.
cheap to mail too.

That's a good idea. I've got a couple of recipes posted here. Let me know if you want them gathered up and PM'ed to you. My pickled eggs recipe is a definite must for such an endeavor. [smilie=w:

Wayne Smith
11-13-2012, 09:05 AM
This is a good idea, but lets take it to another level. Get Ken and Willie involved. Make it a permanent download on Gunloads for a fee, and let it be added to. There needs to be a caveat that these are historic and personal recipes, not formally kitchen tested until you do it.

I frankly don't remember if I've added any recipes to any threads, if I have you are free to use them. I would add an apple pie recipe to the mix and maybe some others.

Jim
11-13-2012, 09:14 AM
This is a good idea, but lets take it to another level. Get Ken and Willie involved. Make it a permanent download on Gunloads for a fee, and let it be added to. There needs to be a caveat that these are historic and personal recipes, not formally kitchen tested until you do it.

I frankly don't remember if I've added any recipes to any threads, if I have you are free to use them. I would add an apple pie recipe to the mix and maybe some others.

Ooh, that reminds me! Janet makes a cast iron skillet apple pie that will put you on the couch! [smilie=w:

Able 5
11-13-2012, 09:53 AM
What an outstanding idea, I like the thought of both digital and hardcopy. I have a chicken/sausage gumbo recipe (with homemade pure pork smoked sausage) and a black berry cobbler recipe from my Mom. UM, hungry gotta go!

Love Life
11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Did somebody say sweet potato donuts?

Jim
11-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Did somebody say sweet potato donuts?

I'll ask Janet to post it here.

x101airborne
11-13-2012, 02:31 PM
I am just tickled that everyone is supporting this. If any of the owners or staff want to help, great. I would love all the input I could get. I just didn't want to volunteer anyones service without talking to them first. And I remember how snowed under Ken was last year.

Jim
11-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I have offered to assist Airborne in this endeavor and he has accepted.

We will start by collecting recipes from members. Please be sure to be as specific and detailed as possible. That will help in eliminating having to contact members to clear up any confusion.

While that's going on, I'm going to start contacting publishers and asking questions. We know nothing about how to do this, but I feel sure the publishers can set us straight.

We're wide open for suggestions and comments. Good, bad or indifferent, please throw in what comes to mind. Two heads are better than one, even if one IS empty!:popcorn:

x101airborne
11-13-2012, 03:52 PM
We're wide open for suggestions and comments. Good, bad or indifferent, please throw in what comes to mind. Two heads are better than one, even if one IS empty!:popcorn:

Oy!, I example that remark!

waksupi
11-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Don't bother with big publishers. Talk to local printers, maybe Fatnhappy could give you some good ideas, or maybe even take on the job.

Jim
11-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I'll talk to 'im, thanks!

Gliden07
11-13-2012, 05:54 PM
I'd be up for 1 of these books!!

runfiverun
11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
where do you want the recipes posted???
just so it's clear..

Love Life
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
If you make a hard copy cookbook a spiral binding would be great. That way you can lay it flat on the counter.

smokeywolf
11-13-2012, 06:44 PM
x101/Jim,

Should pictures/JPEGs be included with recipes? If so, just a pic of the finished dish?

smokeywolf

Reg
11-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Has taken me half a lifetime to figure out how to make good drinkable homemade country wine, would be more than glad to throw it in.
Guess I am a slow learner but the end result will either set you on your rear end or if you do not like it you can put it in your moped !!!!

x101airborne
11-14-2012, 12:19 AM
where do you want the recipes posted???
just so it's clear..

Please send them to me via PM. These will be kept all confidential except for the title for a teaser. Bad Water Bill already told me that the recipies are not for experimenting till they are published, LOL of course. But if we post them open, there is no need for a book.

Jim
11-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Please send them to me via PM. These will be kept all confidential except for the title for a teaser. Bad Water Bill already told me that the recipies are not for experimenting till they are published, LOL of course. But if we post them open, there is no need for a book.

That's a good point.

waksupi
11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Even if posted on the board, people would still want the hard copy. I've tried doing recipes off the computer, much easier to have a cook book handy!

x101airborne
11-14-2012, 01:17 PM
375Ruger.... Thank you so much for your contribution. Those are some wonderful sounding recipies.

x101airborne
11-14-2012, 01:22 PM
x101/Jim,

Should pictures/JPEGs be included with recipes? If so, just a pic of the finished dish?

smokeywolf

If you happen to have a pic, that would be great. Or, I guess I would sacrafice myself to make the dish and photograph it. Of course I will have to eat it to make sure it tastes as good as it looks!

Dale in Louisiana
11-14-2012, 06:17 PM
I've posted a bunch of recipes on my blog under a sub-heading of "Recipes and Food (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?cat=2)".

They're fair game. Would be nice if my name and URL (http://mostlycajun.com) were attached.

dale in Louisiana

x101airborne
11-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Hah, I was just about to ask what a URL is till I went to reply. Then it told me. I would give credit how ever you like. You want a URL, you got it. You want a user name, No problem. You just have to specify how you want it to read when I get the recipes.

DCM
11-14-2012, 07:41 PM
I only have a few contributions in the cookin recipes but you are welcome to them and any I post in the future.

Being a true Cast Boolits cookbook I think it should include some lube recipes too????

x101airborne
11-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Ya know,,,, couldnt hurt. My wife loves my Junior's 411 with a little olive oil for chapstick.

frankenfab
11-14-2012, 09:18 PM
I would like to participate. The cool thing about a digital version, (PDF?) is that we could put pictures of the finished recipies in it.

Sorry if somebody already brought that up. I only read the 1st page so far.

375RUGER
11-15-2012, 02:43 PM
375Ruger.... Thank you so much for your contribution. Those are some wonderful sounding recipies.

I've got a couple more that will go over good here, I just didn't have time enough last night to dig them out and copy.
Persimmon cookies (my grandma's recipe, don't know where she got it)
sourdough starter
2 kinds of sourdough biscuits
sourdough pizza crust
Mrs. 375RUGER makes a great banana/coconut cream pie

x101airborne
11-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all the support, folks. I am already starting to produce a file folder with recipies, making sure to give credit where due. Let the fun begin!

HiVelocity
11-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Personally, I would love to buy a good game cookbook. I have a small collection of old cookbooks that my wife and I collected from different sources.

+1 on the idea. :bigsmyl2:

HV

x101airborne
11-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Anyone who has these printed and types with one finger, I would be happy to type them for you. I type slow, but ok. Anyone needing an address, just let me know and I will send it out PM.