PDA

View Full Version : Spray Painted Gun

wtfooptimax200
11-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Hey Everyone,

I just stumbled across a Marlin 336 for sale for a very good price. The owner takes good care of his guns. This particular gun was given a home grown camo paint job. I hate camo on guns and would eventually strip all paint off and restore it to its original appearance.

Provided there is no pitting on the outside, the action is sound, and the bore is in good shape, should I worry about the spray paint? I can get the gun for so little that it makes the refinishing worthwhile, plus it's a fun project. Are there any pitfalls that I should look out for?

Branden

Dan Cash
11-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Only thing I can see is buying one 336 is not enough. They are addictive.

Walter Laich
11-12-2012, 02:44 PM
go for it and we'll need pictures, before and after

w

Hamish
11-12-2012, 02:52 PM
"I can get the gun for so little that it makes the refinishing worthwhile"

Does that put in a little better perspective?

(get your wallet out before he changes his mind)

Bullet Caster
11-12-2012, 04:43 PM
As always, we need pics before and after. BC

10 ga
11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Stock work isn't a problem. I aint no machinist but can handle paint stripper, sandpaper, stain, and choice of finishes pretty easily. One hint is don't use bleach to lighten the wood color if too dark for your taste, use peroxide, the really strong kind the "hair dresser" at the beauty parlor uses. Nothing looks better to me than a finely smoothed stock and a deep hand rubbed and polished oil finish. Beats the "acrylic" hard finish IMHO. Best, 10 ga

lead paint dust X

runfiverun
11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
those spray paint camo kits come with a can of remover.

Hardcast416taylor
11-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I bought a "sporterised" 98 Mauser a while back. The "Genius" that did the job also camo sprayed the stock and had over spray on a good deal of the metal. I got the rifle for $100 plus state tax of $6. It`s been the better part of a year since I had to beat the action out of the painted stock, he had painted the inside of the stock as well which glued the metal to the stock. Almost a year later the stock, which I threw into a corner is still sticky/tacky.Robert

Gtek
11-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Get the wood off and get some Acetone and a roll of paper towels and Q-tips. You may find you will put paint back on it or it may be a cherry somebody just painted, only one way to know. I am going to parkerizing on mine now if they need refinish. I like it a lot better than blue. Put them naked in sun and let them get up to 100+, put the oil to her and let her cool. No rust issues. Gtek

fouronesix
11-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Oh ya, if the action is tight, the bore good and price right- jump on it. Removing paint from metal is no big job with acetone, paint stripper or lacquer thinner.

The wood may require a little more effort- but no more than doing a stock refinish job anyway. Remove the stocks. Outside or with good ventilation, on a wood bench, lay out a bunch of paper towels or rags. Put some stripper in a small plastic container. Take about a half pad of 0000 steel wool and dip in stripper then start working on the stock. Work over a section of the wood and quickly rub over the area with a paper towel or rag. Keep doing this over all the wood surfaces. Pretty quickly all the paint and finish will be gone. Once all is removed then take a clean half pad of 0000 steel wool and some alcohol. Dip the pad in the alcohol and lightly go over sections of the wood then quickly wipe off the residue. Once all that is done and the wood has dried it is ready for a normal refinish. Stain if desired, then light sanding between coats of your favorite finish.