PDA

View Full Version : Finally got me a star.

boltons75
11-12-2012, 10:56 AM
I was able to land a star sizer with a .358 die and top punch last night on evil bay, for $202. It's just missing the handle, which I'm sure is no big deal, I have a bit of steel rod in my scrap steel pile that I can fab one out of. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Dennis Eugene
11-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes sir, your going to fall in love all over again. Dennis

dragonrider
11-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I think you did well on price, enjoy it.

boltons75
11-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I think you did well on price, enjoy it.

So do I, especially since the die that's included is a size I use. I'll take it apart to give it a thorough cleaning one it arrives. May even try to match the original blue paint.

pastor
11-12-2012, 07:15 PM
congratulations!! i have been wanting a star for a long time, cant seem to ever be at the right time and at the right place

you got a really good deal, most sell for much more than that. i have read alot about star sizers and im sure you will like it very much

ReloaderFred
11-12-2012, 09:30 PM
As long as you're going to have to make a handle for your "new" Star, do yourself a favor and make it a shovel handle. It will make all the difference in the world when sizing large numbers of bullets. I have one shovel handle and move it around between my various Star machines. The original handles lie dormant on the shelf.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Moonman
11-12-2012, 09:38 PM
You can make a roller handle too.

Lathesmith here makes really nice dies for the STAR
should you require any other sizes.

boltons75
11-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Oh, I will be contacting latheSmith after Christmas shopping is done. That was already in the works. Anyone know what size the steel bar is in diameter. Just want to make sure I have the correct stuff on hand. Shovel was the type I was leaning toward making.

HATCH
11-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I got the original one from mine i will send you if you pay for shipping

sent from my mobile.

boltons75
11-13-2012, 07:50 AM
I got the original one from mine i will send you if you pay for shipping

sent from my mobile.

That's mighty generous of you. It will give me something to start with. PM on the way to you kind sir.

bobthenailer
11-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Are you still smileing or dreaming about useing it ?
On 3 occasions i invited freinds over to give my Stars L/S a test drive ! they all had there own in a few weeks after the test drive.

boltons75
11-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Are you still smileing or dreaming about useing it ?
On 3 occasions i invited freinds over to give my Stars L/S a test drive ! they all had there own in a few weeks after the test drive.

Yes indeed, the only bad thing about it is that I will be living in my camper in the middle of the woods till the end of the month. Excluding thanksgiving dinner of course. So I won't be able to actually play with it for awhile.....I'll keep the lam2 for the smaller batches.

cajun shooter
11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
The Star may be mounted on a piece of scrap wood and then clamped to any table. Used one that way for many years. Once the Star is set up and adjusted, you can use it for any size batch, big or small. Put that LAM 11 in a box and use that Star!

boltons75
11-13-2012, 11:49 AM
The Star may be mounted on a piece of scrap wood and then clamped to any table. Used one that way for many years. Once the Star is set up and adjusted, you can use it for any size batch, big or small. Put that LAM 11 in a box and use that Star!

Well once I can afford some lathesmith dies to replace the buckshot dies I have for the lam, I just might keep it on a shelf.

cbrick
11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Oh, I will be contacting latheSmith after Christmas shopping is done.

Silly bullet caster, that is the Christmas shopping. :mrgreen:

Rick

boltons75
11-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Silly bullet caster, that is the Christmas shopping. :mrgreen:

Rick

That's boolit caster,:p , and I just bought the star and had to invest in a generator today. My camper had a mouse invasion in the 2 months it was parked and they got into the campers heater. There was a nice little nest around the circuit board, along with some chewed up wires. So if I can't get it running in time, I have an electric space heater handy now.

Moonman
11-13-2012, 05:22 PM
The "L" shaped roller handle on my Star is made from 3/8" Round Ground Machine Steel.

boltons75
11-13-2012, 11:45 PM
The "L" shaped roller handle on my Star is made from 3/8" Round Ground Machine Steel.

Thank you, I do believe I have a bit of steel that size in my stash. Just have to wait till deer season is over, or the freezer is over filled, to get time to fire up the torchs and the mig.