PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Super Turret Reloader

Alvarez Kelly
11-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Don't throw things at me, but there is a Hollywood SUPER turret on Ebay right now!

I'm shocked at the price, but I know there has been interest on the forum regarding their existence... let alone what they look like.

Go look. It may be the only one you get a chance to look at. :-)

And no... I don't have a thing to do with it.

Kevin Rohrer
11-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I finally found the listing. The press is in immaculate shape and appears to be cast iron. However, it is incomplete and certainly not worth what the buyer paid.

The hunt continues...

Alvarez Kelly
11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Wow! Someone bought it for $1450. They must have REALLY wanted it!

Kevin Rohrer
11-12-2012, 11:43 PM
An example of having more money than sense.

quasi
11-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Well, some people pay $700.00 plus for a Senior Turret, so maybe not. That is the first Super Turret I have seen for sale, Ebay or otherwise.

kd185
11-13-2012, 11:13 AM
However, it is incomplete

why do you say that
what do you see that is missing?
just curious

HGS
11-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Hello,

New member here,

just wanted to let everyone know about the Hollywood Super press being a possible Scam.

Here are the two E-bay numbers where he sold it to two different people.

#160 920 761 182

#160 921 145 183

Check it out for yourself

Makes you wonder a little.

HGS

Kevin Rohrer
11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
what do you see that is missing?

1. The primer arms are missing, which is no big deal as they can be replaced for <$200--if you can find the correct ones (two for modern flat primers and two for older primers with rounded cups).

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0748.jpg

2. More importantly, the twin tie rods are missing, as well as (possibly) the die station inserts that secure them to the turret.

If you look closely at the Super Turret pic, you can make out the tie rods and the inserts.

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/1959GunsMagazineAd.jpg

Kevin Rohrer
11-13-2012, 04:06 PM
just wanted to let everyone know about the Hollywood Super press being a possible Scam.

I had someone contact me a few years ago who supposedly had one for sale. He sent me a couple pics, but wanted way too much money and was evasive about providing information, so I passed. Caveat Emptor.

Here are the two E-bay numbers where he sold it to two different people.

How did Ebay allow it to be sold twice?

I see the seller only has five previous sales. And from his other auctions, it looks like he got this stuff at an estate sale. I wonder how he knows that press was 1 of 100?

HGS
11-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Mr. Rohrer

It looks like the seller relisted the press 6 or 8 hours after he sold it and another person bought it again. When Hollywood SUPER turret is looked for in the completed auctions, you can see both side by side as current buy it now auctions that have been completed.

Nice press tho

HGS

Kevin Rohrer
11-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Yes, I see that now. The first buyer has 254 previous purchases, while the second buyer's purchases are marked, "Private". I wonder whom will get a press, and whom will not--if either of them gets it.

It's a shame that Ebay hides identities so observers can't warn the buyers that one or both of them is being scammed.

GT1
11-14-2012, 05:13 AM
It's a shame that Ebay hides identities so observers can't warn the buyers that one or both of them is being scammed.

This is why ebay hides them, so outsiders with various agendas(beside true concerns of someone being scammed) are stopped from interfering in other folks' auctions.

Not everyone is a concerned citizen, some are the very scammers themselves.:neutral:

PB234
11-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Not that long ago I bought one on fleabay for about $450 if memory serves. There is a gentleman who makes primer arms for them and also shell holders. It seemed like a lot of money at the time. Amazing piece of equipment that will work as long as someone wants to work it.

Kevin Rohrer
11-19-2012, 08:09 PM
PB234: How about posting a few pics of it?

And let me know if you want to sell it. :bigsmyl2:

grumman581
06-22-2013, 01:25 PM
There's also the chance that that the person used another account to bid up the price of his own item for sale and when no one else came along to bid, he was stuck with buying his own item from himself.

Duckiller
06-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Brand new in the box Senior turret press is $1000.00 from the manufacturer. What is a Super turret?

LUBEDUDE
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Brand new in the box Senior turret press is $1000.00 from the manufacturer. What is a Super turret?

Look at the advertisement in post #9.

It is the Sasquatch of loaders. Some have claimed to have seen them and even own one, yet no pics. Very few pics are found on the internet.

There is a claim that there was only 100 made. ???? I wonder if it was less?

Kevin Rohrer
06-25-2013, 11:13 PM
It is the Sasquatch of loaders. Some have claimed to have seen them and even own one, yet no pics.

Someone (can't remember whom) on one of the reloading sites posted this pic. I believe he said that he no longer owned it. Too bad, as I would offer top dollar for one, even if it is <gasp> aluminum as is pictured below.

LUBEDUDE
06-26-2013, 04:08 AM
That is one of four different Super Turret Loader pics that I have seen. I'm not so sure if any Steel frames were ever made?

I think Hollywood gave up on them before they were "going to" run steel frames.

Tracvision
10-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Wow! Someone bought it for $1450. They must have REALLY wanted it!

If that was really a Hollywood "SUPER" Turret, it was a good deal. The only one I have ever seen is the one on my bench. They are a rare bird. I am not even sure how many Lyle produced. Kevins post above has a picture of three Hollywoods on a bench . from left to right (1) Hollywood " SENIOR" Reloading tool [single stage] (2) Hollywood Universal Model "3" set up with Multiple indexing 4 position shell holder (3) and finally...the Hollywood "SUPER TURRET" which was made primarily for gun clubs where it would be put to lots of use.
I also noted a comment about aluminum construction. To my knowledge , I am not aware of aluminum in anything Lyle made going back to 1938. All of his equipment working surfaces were treated to a 80 Rockwell C hardness for wear. The SUPER sold for $237.50 back in the day. Production costs today would make it 10 times that price. Hollywood also made "automatic" presses on the Senior monolithic base. These are pure works of art. The machining is unlike anything I have seen made in the last 50 years.
I apologize for reviving an old thread, but it just caught my interest. :smile:

Pressman
10-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Tracvision, There are a lot of Hollywood aluminum presses along with powder measures. They are mentioned in Phil Sharpe's 1953 book. The Senior and the Universal were both made in aluminum along with both second model powder measures.

Since you brought it up, did Lyle work on the Universal design before he bought it?

Ken

ray h
10-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Back in 2007 I drove to Calif on a trip. I had call Joe at Hollywood to see if he would restore my Alum Universal press, he agreed and I dropped it off and picked it up a week later. They had a shed or trailer close to an airstrip with a bldg in bad shape behind. He gave me a tour of the equipment he had covered to protect from the weather. There was many drawers of parts etc. In the shed or trailer he showed me a rotary table with one of each of the presses and I'm sure there was a Super turret. I know what ever it was much bigger than my Universal. I thought he said the rotary table had been made to take to gun shows to display the equipment. I never thought to take pictures, I was half way back to Md when it dawn on me sad to say.

Tracvision
10-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Look at the advertisement in post #9.

It is the Sasquatch of loaders. Some have claimed to have seen them and even own one, yet no pics. Very few pics are found on the internet.

There is a claim that there was only 100 made. ???? I wonder if it was less?

Some actually have pictures!!! :)

Tracvision
10-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Tracvision, There are a lot of Hollywood aluminum presses along with powder measures. They are mentioned in Phil Sharpe's 1953 book. The Senior and the Universal were both made in aluminum along with both second model powder measures.

Since you brought it up, did Lyle work on the Universal design before he bought it?

Ken

Pressman, Were the Aluminum presses made by Hollywood Gun Shop or Hollywood Engineering? I will have to pick up a copy of Phil Sharpes book if available. As for your question about Universal, I will have to do some research. I know Mr. Corcoran was a stickler for details and was represented by a legal firm in all of his matters. If he had worked on the universal design w/o owning the company, I would assume the original patents had expired or the owner passed.

HGS
10-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Tracvision;

Welcome to Cast Bullets

Nice picture of your Hollywood Super Turret, it looks to be in real good shape. Is the base & body made of steel or aluminum?? There has been considerable discussion on whether or not any steel models were ever made. Yours could be the one to set the record straight. I belive there are 6 other known (Aluminum Super Turrets). Yours has turned up at number 7 known here on this forum and other places. Thanks again for new info on Hollywood mania.

HGS

Tracvision
10-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Tracvision;

Welcome to Cast Bullets

Nice picture of your Hollywood Super Turret, it looks to be in real good shape. Is the base & body made of steel or aluminum?? There has been considerable discussion on whether or not any steel models were ever made. Yours could be the one to set the record straight. I believe there are 6 other known (Aluminum Super Turrets). Yours has turned up at number 7 known here on this forum and other places. Thanks again for new info on Hollywood mania.

HGS
HGA, ( and others ),

I stand corrected on my previous comment about Hollywoods being all steel. I always assumed my "SUPER" was because it is so heavy. The main base is Aluminum. The Turret and cap are also an alloy, goldish colored, but not sure if that is aluminum also. It is not steel.
My Hollywood Universal, Senior Singles, Senior Turrets and AUTOMATIC are all steel.
Thanks for the welcome to the forum HGS. Looks like a fun and knowledgable place to shoot the breeze. I have loads of personal and business documents from Lyles estate and am trying to put the pieces of history together.

Kevin Rohrer
10-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Tracvision,

Your Super Turret needs a new home--like mine. :)

MDphotographer
10-18-2014, 09:37 PM
HGA, ( and others ),

I stand corrected on my previous comment about Hollywoods being all steel. I always assumed my "SUPER" was because it is so heavy. The main base is Aluminum. The Turret and cap are also an alloy, goldish colored, but not sure if that is aluminum also. It is not steel.
My Hollywood Universal, Senior Singles, Senior Turrets and AUTOMATIC are all steel.
Thanks for the welcome to the forum HGS. Looks like a fun and knowledgable place to shoot the breeze. I have loads of personal and business documents from Lyles estate and am trying to put the pieces of history together.

Traci as I understand it none of the Hollywood press bases or turrets are actually made of steel they are actually cast steel.While being much more machinable and less brittle then cast iron they still aren't as strong as real steal like cold rolled etc. You turret is most probably cast steel as my turret was for my Sr Turret. I just made a couple of new turrets for Sr Turret presses from 1018 cold rolled steel.

My Sr Turret when it arrived in March119545

My Sr w/new turret made by me that will be in Lubedudes hands for evaluation by the end of the week119546

Tracvision
10-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Traci as I understand it none of the Hollywood press bases or turrets are actually made of steel they are actually cast steel.While being much more machinable and less brittle then cast iron they still aren't as strong as real steal like cold rolled etc. You turret is most probably cast steel as my turret was for my Sr Turret. I just made a couple of new turrets for Sr Turret presses from 1018 cold rolled steel.

My Sr Turret when it arrived in March119545

My Sr w/new turret made by me that will be in Lubedudes hands for evaluation by the end of the week119546

MD, You are correct. The bases for the Seniors are cast , one piece steel units. The working surfaces are all hardened . I own the original molds for the turret presses from Mr Corcorans estate. I never thought I would do anything with them as the cost to produce this machine would be crazy these days.

Nice looking turret you have there.

MDphotographer
10-21-2014, 12:58 AM
wow you have the molds? maybe we should talk lol No actually I know we should talk I will PM you.

Kevin Rohrer
10-22-2014, 08:33 AM
MD, You are correct. The bases for the Seniors are cast , one piece steel units. The working surfaces are all hardened . I own the original molds for the turret presses from Mr Corcorans estate. I never thought I would do anything with them as the cost to produce this machine would be crazy these days.

You own the molds for the turrets, or the presses? And if the latter, do you have one for the Super Turret? There is a machinist here who said he wants to duplicate the Super Turret to sell.

Tracvision
10-22-2014, 11:38 AM
You own the molds for the turrets, or the presses? And if the latter, do you have one for the Super Turret? There is a machinist here who said he wants to duplicate the Super Turret to sell.

Kevin, Have him send me a PM. It has been my experience that the production cost of Hollywoods exceeds what "most" people are willing to pay.

Hamish
10-30-2015, 08:25 PM
This one needs to come back,,,,,,,,and go look at post 24 one more time,,,,,,,,.

Tracvision
10-31-2015, 01:04 PM
SUPER TURRET PRODUCTION
I am not sure how many were actually made and sold. Here is a start.

LUBEDUDE
10-31-2015, 06:39 PM
That is a picture of Awesomeness!