PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood swaging dies?

Lizard333
11-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Does anyone here have experience with these dies?? I know nothing about these and I had a friend give me a cigar box full of dies that have Hollywood swaging dies stamped on some if them. I'll post pictures but I don't even know where to start.

They remind me of BT's dies that eject with a mallet, but it is really all Greek to me

What should I look for??

Utah Shooter
11-12-2012, 12:41 AM
A press to make projectiles with them. Joking aside I do not really know how to answer the question.

You will need a Hollywood Swage Press for them as far as I know of. I thought that they were an auto eject system not like Neimi or Detsch or any one's dies that use an Reloading Press.

A link that will lead you the right direction. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=100585

ReloaderFred
11-12-2012, 02:37 AM
They're made for the Hollywood Senior press, and automatically eject the finished bullet. If you can't use them, I can, since I've got two Hollywood Senior presses that just love to squish lead.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Bent Ramrod
11-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Here's the setup for the dies in a Hollywood Senior press. The core and jacket were swaged in one step to the finished bullet.

MightyThor
11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
I have a couple of sets that I use with the Hollywood Super Turret press. We here can answer all of your questions. The first one will likely be, can you use them with another press. The answer is; sort of, with a great deal of machine work and adapters, you may be able to get them to function with a dedicated swage press like the walnut hill or similar design. Other wise there are lots of folks who will be happy to sell you a Hollywood press, or buy your dies.

Pavogrande
11-16-2012, 01:36 AM
there are apparently at least two types of hollywood dies -
One style for half-jacket bullets and another for full jacketed bulllets -
the half jacketed are formed base up with a nose forming cup on the bottom die .
the full jacket is formed nose up.
As others have pointed out a hollywood press is needed tho perhaps a "H" style press would work.
the lower die has a stud section and mounts the same as a hollywood shellholder.
my tuppence