PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 73 extraction problem

John in WI
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Before I hand this over to a pro, or buy parts myself, I'm wondering if you guys could help diagnose a problem I'm having with a bolt action .22 I picked up a while ago.

My nephew wants to go shooting with Uncle John, and I figured a single shot .22 is an excellent place to start learning the fundamentals. Safety first and foremost. Second--being a single shot bolt gun you'd better learn marksmanship and making shots count. ("aim small, miss small" my old man used to tell me).

Anyway, last summer I was walking through Gander and there was an old Stevens 73 for $50. The bore was clean, the metal wasn't pitted, but the stock looked like death. So my nephew and I carefully sanded it down and did a beauty of a tung-oil finish on it and scrubbed the decades of storage gunk out of it. Some Uncle Mikes sling studs and it was ready to go.

We took it out a while back and it fires ok, seems to shoot straight. The problem comes in when you try to extract the shell. You can pull back on the bolt and it won't grip the rim and pull the shell out of the chamber. It will if you push the extractor in (towards the bolt). So this seems to me that the actual hook on the end of the extractor is not broken, but the spring that is supposed to pivot it down tight against the shell must be?

I don't think the shells are getting hung up in the chamber. If you open the bolt and rap on the stock (right by the action) the shells wiggle loose on there own. It's been well cleaned and I don't see any evidence of pitting or abuse.

Is replacing an extractor and spring an easy do it yourself job? I haven't had a look at it yet to see what would be involved in driving out the pin or the availability of parts.

Thanks for any advice--if I could get this thing up and running reliably I think it would make an excellent starter rifle for him.

Mooseman
11-11-2012, 06:03 PM
It could very well be the spring but check the grip of the extractor on the boltface using a spent shell. See how it hooks and holds. Look for signs of wear and angle change of the extractor. Also make sure it is free and no residue between the extractor and the groove it rides in.
One other area to check is the extractor cut in the barrel face. It can gunk up and pack with residue and cause the extractor to pull away from the case rim when the bolt is closed. Most people never clean this area very well.

Rich

John in WI
11-11-2012, 06:53 PM
I will look for signs of wear or damage on the extractor. It can't be a problem with dirt and gunk. A friend of mine let me use a sonic cleaner so we got it cleaner than new and a fresh coat of Rem Oil.

Do you think replacing the spring and extractor is a difficult job? Or just a matter of driving out a pin and replacing it? I need to find an exploded diagram and see what kind of problem that would be.

John Taylor
11-11-2012, 06:57 PM
A new extractor is $11.25 at Gun Parts corp. Looks like it is a stamped steel. You may need to bend it a bit to give it more tension.

John in WI
11-11-2012, 08:33 PM
excellent. I think I'm going to buy it and give it a shot. That is the part--it looks sort of like those little sheet metal clips you use on the back of a picture frame. I think it will make a nice little "critter gitter" when it's fixed.

Mooseman
11-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Be careful bending spring steel...it breaks easily.
There is no pin holding that extractor , so it should pry off and carefully snap the new one on.

Rich

KCSO
11-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Order the new one first so when you try and bend the old one and it breaks...

John 242
11-17-2012, 08:24 PM
I pulled my previous post down, because I didn't want to recommend something that might damage the part in question.

What I'm unsure about is why you guys insist that the extractor would break?

I would have assumed that the extractor wouldn't be glass hard, since it is designed to be snapped over the bolt body. Perhaps I'm wrong, as you guys have way more experience than me.

The only frame of reference I have is dealing with 1911 extractors, which are also springs, in order to increase or decrease tension.

I'm reposting the link to Numrich for reference-
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/130600A.htm

Post script...
I did a Google search for Savage Model 73s and found that broken extractors are VERY common. So, with a little research, I seem to have answered my own question.
These extractor are brittle and apparently break easy.

I like potato salad and corn with my crow.