View Full Version : A video about shooting cast in a Glock

Whistler
11-11-2012, 02:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb08sBloYhA

Some mythbusting!
Enjoy! :)

EMC45
11-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Very cool! I too do not believe the hype with lead in Glocks. My Model G36 loves lead.

garym1a2
11-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Nice video, my Glock 21SF does fine on Boolits also. I just wonder why you use such a heavy boolit as the 255 gr in your Glock.

bigboredad
11-12-2012, 06:13 PM
I had a glock 27 for a minute and it did great with lead and was amazingly accurate for such a light gun. I think it's just like any other barrel. slug use the right size bullet with a good lube and from what I've seen you are good to go

I also shoot a 255gr out of my xd and 1911 and they do great

MasS&W
11-13-2012, 01:56 AM
I was always curious WHY the "don't hoot cast in glocks" myth is so pervasive...

Whistler
11-13-2012, 05:29 AM
I just wonder why you use such a heavy boolit as the 255 gr in your Glock.
In IPSC competitions your ammunition goes by either minor (125) or major (170) power factor. The factor is calculated with bullet weight times muzzle velocity, meaning a heavier bullet at the same power factor will give less recoil. This particular load does about 670fps, giving a power factor of 174. Shooting major gives you more points on peripheral hits on the target than shooting minor, kind of a bonus for handling the increased recoil.

I was always curious WHY the "don't hoot cast in glocks" myth is so pervasive...
I believe it to be a combination of the fact that some people think a Glock never has to be cleaned (which is basically true) with the mistake of shooting undersized bullets so they never check for leading in the barrel until the gun goes kaboom. This is probably mixed with the unsupported stock chambers and high pressure loads that make defective brass cases rupture.

Lloyd Smale
11-13-2012, 07:33 AM
I think alot of the no lead school of thought came from the no handload school of thought. glocks have an unsupported chamber and are a bit more sensitive to flying apart in your hand if you overload them. Since all lead 40 and 10mm ammo is handloaded ammo people just figured you couldnt use lead. Another thing kind of against you with lead in a glock is that they use a unique barrel rifling that is shallow. It doesnt do the best at gripping a cast bullet so accuracy can be poor with softer alloys at higher speeds. Nothing that cant be worked around though. Just cast them hard and keep the pressure down a bit and they usually shoot cast just fine.

garym1a2
11-13-2012, 09:18 AM
I figures as such might be the case. In USPSA production I only need to make minor of 125 so its real easy to get a 40 cal of 175 gr running about 800 fps in the Glock 22. I have a Lyman 454190 and 454424 molds I may try in my 45 at low speeds for expermenting.

Concerining the Glock leading myth. i have found my Glock 21SF shoots lead very clean just like yours. BUT, my Glock 22 with the factory barrel was aweful, I shoot 50 rounds and had to scrub it for an hour. By comaprision even with the 250 round matches I have no problem with lead in my Storm Lake Barrel. In 40 cal I only load light 3.7gr WST or 4.2 gr Bullseye.

Here is a video of my Glock 22 (40S%W wimpy) shooting lead at the monster match with about 420 rounds. It was an aftermarket barrel. It ran 100% reliable. I did clean at halfway point.

http://youtu.be/Nbb1OeXDxJc

In IPSC competitions your ammunition goes by either minor (125) or major (170) power factor. The factor is calculated with bullet weight times muzzle velocity, meaning a heavier bullet at the same power factor will give less recoil. This particular load does about 670fps, giving a power factor of 174. Shooting major gives you more points on peripheral hits on the target than shooting minor, kind of a bonus for handling the increased recoil.

I believe it to be a combination of the fact that some people think a Glock never has to be cleaned (which is basically true) with the mistake of shooting undersized bullets so they never check for leading in the barrel until the gun goes kaboom. This is probably mixed with the unsupported stock chambers and high pressure loads that make defective brass cases rupture.

Whistler
11-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Perhaps it has something to do with twist rates and/or pressure levels? The success reports with stock barrels seem to be mostly with the big bores, while 9mm and .40 are more troublesome. Someone pointed out that the .45 ACP has hexagonal barrel instead of the 9mm's octagonal. Shallower rifling, lesser grip. Add a tighter twist rate and you might have to have a really hard alloy to make sure that the boolit doesn't skid in the bore.

ebner glocken
11-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I cast water dropped wheel weights for a glock 19 9mm with similar results of whisler. In my opinion if you cast hard, don't get crazy with pressure, and use common sense with cleaning you shant have problems. Yes, exactly the same results with my G20 in 10mm. I had shot both of these with cast long before I heard the legend of cast being a no-no in glocks.

Ebner

Silver Jack Hammer
11-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I just re-certified as a Glock armorer, in the class the official Glock line was no cast boolits, it'll void the warranty. I called Colt and Smith and Wesson and asked about shooting cast boolits in their 1911's and 4506, Colt and Smith and Wesson said it's fine to shoot cast boolits all day long in their guns.

Great video. Personally if I owned a Glock I'd shoot cast boolits in it. Yup, just clean it afterward.

Shiloh
11-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Very cool! I too do not believe the hype with lead in Glocks. My Model G36 loves lead.

Same with model 17's.

Shiloh

Silver Jack Hammer
11-16-2012, 03:38 PM
In Glock's re-cert armorer class they showed a video of Glocks dropped out of a helicopter, buried in mud, frozen in ice even shot with a shotgun and Glock kept on firing. Just don't shoot cast boolits!?

Balta
11-26-2012, 05:18 PM
I also shot cast boolits from my G17 and G19...Sized .357 and 15 Bhn...Pushed around 870 fps ,145 grain ..
Not much but around 2000 so far... i didnt notice nothing disturbing ,leading and similar ...