View Full Version : savage .270 stainless

johnson1942
11-11-2012, 01:51 PM
my 13 year old son just took his 5 th deer with the reliable .270 savage he has. he got a 4 x 5 3 and 1/2 year old muley buck. he is big. 85 yard head shot. last year he got a 9 x 6 non typical whitetail. he weighs 82 pounds. guite a hunter for a 13 year old. and his size. he handles that savage real well. its a tack driver. johnson1942

smoked turkey
11-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Sounds like your son has learned how to do it. Please congratulate him for me. He has quite a bit of deer hunting experience at the ripe old age of 13! The .270 is a wonderful round. That was my first rifle and I killed my first deer with it. Mine however was a small doe. I didn't mind because I had killed a deer finally after trying a few times and not ever getting a chance.

johnson1942
11-12-2012, 12:46 AM
thanks for your response smoked turkey. he is quite the boy. he used to have to shoot it with 90 grain bullets because of recoil but has graduated to 150 grain now. my 37 year old son has a idenical gun and he still uses 90 grain bullets. he hunts a lot of cyotes also. it is a good cal. i have made a group at 300 yards of 2 inches with my old eyes so it hunts well. a interesting thing ill share with every one. my oldest sons gun had his barrel cryo treated and the youngests isnt. the oldes boys gun gets 100 ft. per sec. out of the muzzle faster than the youngest with the same hand loads. they both are the same guns and are both very accurate. something to think about. johnson1942

starmac
11-12-2012, 02:19 AM
The 270 were very popular in NM where sometimes there were some long shots, and they worked well.

Do you think the cyro treatment is the reason for the 100 extra fps?
Were they ever compared before the cyro treatment?

johnson1942
11-12-2012, 10:43 AM
to starmac: no i didnt compare before and that is a good question. yes i do think it is the cryoing treatment. i dont know why i never did it to my 13 year olds, but im a strong believer in cryotreating rifle barrels. all of my guns are but 2. cryoing takes enough stress out of a barrel to stop barrel whip problems. at least 1 in 9 barrels that come out of the best of name rifle factorys is made from a slightly bent bar that has been made straight. these guns never shoot right when the barrel warms up. they walk of target. cryoing will cure that problem. i use cry+ services. she hasnt raised her prices in years and uses the same machine as all the rest of them. if you have a pet gun and want to make it better cryo it. their is a montana gun smith who likes to shoot 45/70 long distance. before he chambers a round he puts stp on the nose. he says he gets 100 ft. per sec. more out of his bullets. their are a lot of tricks and secrets out their and some work. your right the 270 is a very good cartridge, and so is the 35 wheelen. these 2 are my favorite bottle necks. johnson1942