PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Braztech 92 in 454 Casull

tbhutton
11-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Hi -
I have procured a 20 inch barrel blued Braztech 454 casull. Being a Marlin guy myself, I didn't expect the Rossi / Braztech rifle to be up to that level of quality, but I must say that I am impressed with the well machined and tight mechanism in the gun. It is very smooth and absolutely no slop in anything.

I bought it because it was a deal, and I wanted a levergun that I could shoot 45 and 45+P long colt rounds, and the fact that I might shoot some 454 is a plus.

The stocks sure aren't much to look at, but since I am a woodworker, I will find some burl walnut or something and make new stocks. I sure am impressed with the rest of the gun.

:bigsmyl2:

JohnnyFlake
11-11-2012, 01:34 PM
I have the exact same Rossi, but in SS. I picked my up about six months ago. It is very well made and very tight, as you mentioned. Working the action a few hundred times will really smooth it out. Also, as you mentions, the wood is not that great but with a little effort it can be made to look decent.

I have not shot any .454 loads in it yet, but I have been loading up some .45 Colt loads at Ruger Only/+P levels.

GL49
11-12-2012, 01:54 AM
All I've done to mine so far is replaced the factory sights. Anybody know if you can take a magazine tube from the 45 colt model and substitute it for the tube on the 454? It looks a little goofy with the larger diameter tube that allows you to reload without using the loading gate. Ditto on replacing the stock wood with nice looking walnut, I have new wood in my garage I need to fit to mine.

MT Chambers
11-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Has anyone had any concerns of using 67,000psi loads (Saami max.) in that action with the .454 Casull??? I would if it were me!

bearcove
11-12-2012, 09:22 PM
No, gunblast did a test and others have shot a lot of hot stuff in them.

Never heard bad about them.

tbhutton
11-15-2012, 11:01 PM
I am not sure what specifically you are referring to, but the action is a bit different than the 92 style actions that I have seen, with two locking lugs that come up on either side of the rear of the bolt. Looks pretty strong to me, but I will be finding out sooner than later when I go shoot it this weekend.

Tom
[smilie=s:

JohnnyFlake
11-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Has anyone had any concerns of using 67,000psi loads (Saami max.) in that action with the .454 Casull??? I would if it were me!

I have never seen any .454 load data showing 67,000 CUP, in all the research I've done. Most loads average somewhere between 45,000 and 54,000 CUP. I certainly would have concerns loading up that hot!

JHeath
11-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Speer #13 says:

"The 454 Casull was adopted as a standard industry cartridge in 1998; the maximum average pressure was set at 65,000 psi. The loads shown here . . . are held to 45,000 cup to provide the best performance with Speer bullets."

Which I think means 65k would drive .45 Colt bullets too fast at that time (14 years ago).

I can tell you that 300 gr Cor-Bon factory ammo exceeds the allowable pressure on my shoulder from a Model 1892 clone. I would prefer to hand the rifle to a charging bear and let him try shooting it. He would then know how it feels to be mauled.

hanleyfan
11-16-2012, 11:06 AM
I wish Rossi would put out another production run on the 454 lever so there will be rifles out there at retail price, right now the only ones out there are scarce and they command a 700.00 and up in price and there is no way I am paying that for a Rossi, If they can sell a 45/70 for around 450.00 why not the 454?

bearcove
11-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I wish too! I would get another in blue. The SS is not what I like but its better on the boat.

JohnnyFlake
11-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I wish Rossi would put out another production run on the 454 lever so there will be rifles out there at retail price, right now the only ones out there are scarce and they command a 700.00 and up in price and there is no way I am paying that for a Rossi, If they can sell a 45/70 for around 450.00 why not the 454?

Amen brother!!!

I picked up mine in SS about 6/7 months ago on GunBroker.com for around $550, I do not recall exactly and I am too lazy to look for the receipt. I would also like to pick up another in Blue.

tbhutton
11-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Well, not to rub it in, but I paid $475 for my new blued 20" gun. It was in the box, but did have a small scratch on one spot on the barrel. I agree that I would have bought a 45/70 if the Rossi was $600+, or just bought a 45LC gun like the Henry. I got the Rossi because I wanted to shoot all flavors or 45LC, including +P, which are hardly a challenge at 35,000 CUP for the 454.

tbhutton
11-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Oh, and to clarify that a bit, I plan on loading the +P rounds into 454 brass, so that I won't have case problems after one or two reloads.

JohnnyFlake
11-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Oh, and to clarify that a bit, I plan on loading the +P rounds into 454 brass, so that I won't have case problems after one or two reloads.

I have been loading .45 Colt +P rounds in .45 Colt Brass. I must say tat I see no evidence of strain or pressure damage on the brass. However, in my case I have a lot of .45 Colt Brass and not so much .454 Brass.

Treetop
11-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Have any of you had cycling issues with your .454 Rossi's using .45 Colt brass?

The reason I ask is that I've heard that sometimes they don't like the shorter COAL. The cartridge will be a little bit too "vertical" as it cycles, and hits the top of the chamber instead of entering at the proper angle... Tt.

Omnivore
11-16-2012, 08:31 PM
CUP and PSI are completely different measuring standards, and should not be compared to one another.

Rossi states that the tube loading feature is an option, so they'd probably have parts to reconfig it one way or the other.

Does anyone have bullet weight/velocity figures from their carbine, using standard 454 loads?

bearcove
11-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Its an option. As in feed through the gate or through the end. pick.

MT Chambers
11-17-2012, 05:23 AM
I have never seen any .454 load data showing 67,000 CUP, in all the research I've done. Most loads average somewhere between 45,000 and 54,000 CUP. I certainly would have concerns loading up that hot!

Please note that my orig. post quoted pressure ratings in "PSI" not cup, and that is the level of loads used/recommended by/for Freedom Arms '83 5 shot revolvers, and I was just wondering if those levels of loads should be used in those rifles. Note also that those levels are the SAAMI max's. as well.

rbuck351
11-17-2012, 05:42 AM
I don't remember my exact load but I think it's 31grs Lil Gun and a Lee 300gr cast that weighs about 317 from WW Velocity is 1980fps. This from a 20"blue barrel LSI Puma. I have only shot a few dozen of these but they work well enough that this will be my normal load. I bought mine very slightly used for $370. I removed the safety and made a peep to replace it. It started out just a little stiff but it's smoothing up nicely. I have nothing bad to say other than the black color of the stock.

JHeath
11-17-2012, 07:44 PM
CUP and PSI are completely different measuring standards, and should not be compared to one another.

Tell Speer that. It came from their loading manual, as part of an explaination of why they limited their .454 loads. The quote might help explain JohnnyFlake's observation, even if Speer offended the rules by publishing it.

bearcove
11-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Speer made load data for the strength of the bullets so they still had good terminal balistics.

That was how I had explained to me.

The Nosler Partitions I have are loaded to a whole different level using Nosler Data.

Cause the bullet is designed to take it.

bearcove
11-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Please note that my orig. post quoted pressure ratings in "PSI" not cup, and that is the level of loads used/recommended by/for Freedom Arms '83 5 shot revolvers, and I was just wondering if those levels of loads should be used in those rifles. Note also that those levels are the SAAMI max's. as well.

From what the doubting Thomases found when they tested the Rossi 92's. They will take the Max 454 loads. Don't have a link but search and you shall find out for yourself. Best way anywho!

JohnnyFlake
11-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Tell Speer that. It came from their loading manual, as part of an explaination of why they limited their .454 loads. The quote might help explain JohnnyFlake's observation, even if Speer offended the rules by publishing it.

Actually guys, my information came from the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition. Also, as I understand it, C.U.P. is the accepted rating now days and PSI is no longer used.

JohnnyFlake
11-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Have any of you had cycling issues with your .454 Rossi's using .45 Colt brass?

The reason I ask is that I've heard that sometimes they don't like the shorter COAL. The cartridge will be a little bit too "vertical" as it cycles, and hits the top of the chamber instead of entering at the proper angle... Tt.

I was out to the range today and put 150 rounds of .45 Colt +P loads through my Rossi and 60 rounds of .454

The .454 runs through the gun fast and smooth. No problems at all. They were 300gn Cast RNFP Boolits.

For the most part the .45 Colt which were 250gn Cast RNFP boolits ran a bit stiffer and locked up the action 3 or 4 times. I find that the harder and faster you work the action with .45 Colts rounds, the better it works.

JHeath
11-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Actually guys, my information came from the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition. Also, as I understand it, C.U.P. is the accepted rating now days and PSI is no longer used.

Right. IIRC you found that .454 loads are consistently below SAAMI limits. I noticed that Speer #13 seemed to say they limited their published loads (thus pressures, and velocities) due to available bullet construction. Speer mixed units in their explanation, but they seemed to be explaining that their loads were below SAAMI max. So I quoted them verbatim.