PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Sizing Die Wax for Swaging?

MUSTANG
11-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Does anyone use Imperial Sizing Die Wax for swaging?

I have been using Corbins Swaging Lube for all of my Swaging efforts so far, but last week looked at the tin of Imperial Sizing Die Wax on the reloading bench and said HMMMM? I tried it on about 5 bullets in the Corbin .223 pointing die with no problems. It is possible that legacy Corbin lube provided needed lube for the 5 test bullets, or is a good lube in this application. What are others experience? Before I move on to using the Imperial Sizing Wax in .22LR derimming, Core Swaging, & Core Seating I'd like to check others experience.

Mustang

DukeInFlorida
11-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Been gone over a million times.

Best lube for swaging:

Anhydrous Lanolin and castor oil

OR

Anhydrous Lanolin and Militec-1 synthetic lube

I prefer, make, and use the second option. BT Sniper makes, provides, and swears by the first option.

Making my own lube is cost effective, and works better than any other lube I have used for swaging.

Lizard333
11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it won't work. I don't see why it wouldn't. Like you said, more than five might be in order, to verify old lube was no longer in the picture. I'd say give it a try and let us know happens.

Pay close attention, as it is a PAIN, getting jackets stuck.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

marten
11-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Tallow is a good substitute (used in industry in press operations).

32ideal
11-12-2012, 10:50 AM
I found that Imperial worked OK for plain lead bullets, but did stick a jacketed 250gr 358 rifle bullet once and never used it again for swaging. Even buying the swaging lube is cheap as you use so little if applied correctly.

:swagemine:

32ideal