PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Handbook error

bluez
11-11-2012, 08:51 AM
I just bought a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (4th Edition), nice book however on page 211 (444 marlin) it says : Shooters with Micro groove rifling should keep velocity's below 1600 fps for best accuracy,

I find this odd, since i obtain very good results at speeds above 2000 fps with boollits sized at .432. Doesn't Lyman know that micro grooves slightly larger boolits?

EMC45
11-11-2012, 09:16 AM
This repeated in their older manuals as well.

felix
11-11-2012, 09:41 AM
More correctly, the books should say: Shooters with micro groove rifling MUST CLEAN the barrel more often than with normal groove barrels for the same accuracy over time using the same load components. ... felix

fatnhappy
11-11-2012, 10:55 AM
I never had much luck with my father's .35 remington and microgroove rifling. It was fairly mediocre with jacketed.
fast forward 6 years and I find myself with a microgroove .30-30. It's a bell ringer with 311291 or 311041 in max loads.

Go figure.

bluez
11-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I found this in Wikipedia :

Best cast bullet accuracy in the .444 Marlin is attained when utilizing bullets sized to .432" diameter, both in the older "Micro-Grooved" and the newer "Ballard" style barrels. This bullet diameter is dictated more by the large diameter of chamber throats than by groove diameter of the barrel. A projectile closely fitting the throat dimensions greatly enhances the cast bullet performance of this cartridge.

Those writers and publications citing the inability of the .444 Marlin's Micro-Groove barrel to accurately shoot cast bullets driven over 1,600 ft/s (490 m/s). are simply in error, in that those results were largely obtained using .429" and .430" diameter cast bullets. Full factory velocity handloads when assembled using hard-cast, gas-checked bullets of .432" diameter will rival accuracy of any jacketed ammunition for this cartridge.

The fact that Lyman doesn't even mention the importance of sizing a little larger (.432 in the case of .444 marlin) makes me suspect that they haven't even tried.

fatnhappy
11-11-2012, 07:25 PM
The fact that Lyman doesn't even mention the importance of sizing a little larger (.432 in the case of .444 marlin) makes me suspect that they haven't even tried.

They can't, they're using Lyman moulds.

bluez
11-13-2012, 06:00 AM
They can't, they're using Lyman moulds.

It could be so simple as that.

Which Lyman could comment on this.

bearcove
11-13-2012, 10:39 PM
It could be so simple as that.

Which Lyman could comment on this.

That would imply that they care.:confused:

Mal Paso
11-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Lyman Cast Bullet 4 also used .429 Bullets in All their 44 Mag Testing. To bring RCBS Saeco and Lee down to their level? Their bullet speed was substantially slower from a 4" sealed test barrel than my 4" revolver with cylinder gap.

I keep the 4th Cast Bullet Handbook close by so I can accurately report Lyman's Mistakes.

ArrowJ
11-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Frankly, the current version is so full of typos it leaves me less than secure in the knowledge it imparts. I am not sure why they opted to skip paying a copy editor, but apparently it was too expensive. I have read a lot of books with less critical data that were close to error free. It seems like it was just thrown together without a single attempt at proof reading.

Mal Paso
11-13-2012, 11:44 PM
What Drama. We waited FOREVER for the 4th edition to be published. I stupidly passed on Midway's $14 blowout of the 3rd Edition that's now $100 used. Meanwhile Glen gave us "From Ingot to Target" Free, which beats almost everything else. Every plot needs a villain. Would we have Miha and Eric and NOE without Lyman? It's All Good!

bearcove
11-14-2012, 12:03 PM
What Drama. We waited FOREVER for the 4th edition to be published. I stupidly passed on Midway's $14 blowout of the 3rd Edition that's now $100 used. Meanwhile Glen gave us "From Ingot to Target" Free, which beats almost everything else. Every plot needs a villain. Would we have Miha and Eric and NOE without Lyman? It's All Good!

I don't know about the drama. The folks that made lyman what it was 20 years ago are all gone. Now its just part of a corp. It is what it is.

As far as Lyman being the inspiration for those guys, I don't think of Lyman being the only source cast bullet stuff.

bluez
11-20-2012, 07:05 PM
I think this page gives a very good discription of using castboolits in microgrooves :

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pF9aveBa3vAJ:www.firearmssite.com/444_marlin.htm+&cd=1&hl=no&ct=clnk&gl=no

MBTcustom
11-21-2012, 03:32 PM
That would imply that they care.:confused:

It would also imply that they use their own product, which I cannot imagine being the case. They're just going to ride the Lyman name into the ground until some CEO decides that there just isn't any money in making boolit molds and closes down the whole operation.
Oh well, more business for the mold makers who actually give a rip.
It just makes me mad when a company that used to be great, shows itself to be dead from the neck up.

montana_charlie
11-21-2012, 09:53 PM
I just bought a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (4th Edition), nice book however on page 211 (444 marlin) it says : Shooters with Micro groove rifling should keep velocity's below 1600 fps for best accuracy,

I find this odd, since i obtain very good results at speeds above 2000 fps
Was your accuracy not better with the sub-1600 fps loads?

1Shirt
11-22-2012, 01:49 PM
This is why it is good to have a number of reloading manuals for reference.
1Shirt!