PDA

View Full Version : 788 set to fling 6mm bolts across the land

ohland
11-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Finally got to it and loaded up 15 Nosler 90 grain ballistic tips in my 6mm Rem. Assuming that the Nosler manual is correct, it showed

35.5gr of IMR 4064 as the most accurate load (@ 2,950 fps or so). So I have 5 each of 35.5, 36.0 and 36.5 grains of IMR-4064 sparked by a Rem 9 1/2 primer in an R-P case. Wind is running up and down right now, from maybe 10 up to 20 or so. It might not be a good day on Sunday to see if these group.

For those scanning the Nosler manual, yes, I know that Nosler used Federal 215M primers... Of which I have none. Truth be told, these are the remnants of my attempt to load RCBS 243-095-SP boolits a while back. I wasn't satisfied with the crappy appearance (shaved lead) so I pulled the boolits and dumped the powder.

Finally used my Redding powder trickler, and once the grains started flowing, it was a dependable delivery system. Whipped out my 6mm Satern funnel, so nice not to have to have the funnel tip while pouring out the scale pan into the case. Used a Lee scoop powder measure, and it made the measuring of stick powder pretty easy. Ran into a sticker, the case mouths were still slightly crimped from the boolits, and they had primers in them (hence using the Rem 9 1/2s). The Lee decapper uses a fixed pin and I couldn't get the decapper rod high enough in the collet to not pop the primer...

Pulled out an old RCBS die set, (found my Hornady seater die with micrometer!), dropped the decap pin, ran the expander ball up, then kissed the necks of the cases. Not perfect, but a darned sight better...

Now if I hadn't of misplaced my 6mm Boresnake...

:popcorn:

Jack Stanley
11-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I just love those 788 rifles , my six mike was a lefty and used for woodchuck elimination . Seventy-five grain hollow points and it was bye-bye bean muncher . To bad Remington couldn't make another batch of them ..... but with the time they are having it might come with a Marlin lever where the bolt oughta be :oops:

Jack

Shiloh
11-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Report back with results.

Never should have traded the Rem 600

Shiloh

ohland
11-12-2012, 11:14 PM
:(

Lost my pop up deer blind yesterday, it blew away.

Jack Stanley
11-13-2012, 10:32 AM
If it floats , not to worry . One of the guys near Muskegon will pull it out of the lake for ya . Unless of course a lake trout decides it likes it and makes a home out of it .

Jack

ohland
11-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Today it rained intermittently while I was on stand. The blind only let a few drops fall inside. Looking at the construction, I think a 5' square piece of rubberized fabric with nine toggle closures sewn on would fix things. One closure at the center to wrap over the two crossed shock corded poles, four more half way down, and four more at the end of the diagonals. That way there is an impermeable layer for any drips to be diverted. Besides, it would be like a tent liner...

:Bright idea:

Jack Stanley
11-22-2012, 10:07 AM
I kept a lookout with all the major fish gangs with a big reward offered for the blind . You musta staked it down even more so th' wind didn't get it huh?

Well , here's hoping the deer get a chance to test that new rifle for ya .

Jack

swheeler
11-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Finally got to it and loaded up 15 Nosler 90 grain ballistic tips in my 6mm Rem. Assuming that the Nosler manual is correct, it showed

35.5gr of IMR 4064 as the most accurate load (@ 2,950 fps or so). So I have 5 each of 35.5, 36.0 and 36.5 grains of IMR-4064 sparked by a Rem 9 1/2 primer in an R-P case. Wind is running up and down right now, from maybe 10 up to 20 or so. It might not be a good day on Sunday to see if these group.

For those scanning the Nosler manual, yes, I know that Nosler used Federal 215M primers... Of which I have none. Truth be told, these are the remnants of my attempt to load RCBS 243-095-SP boolits a while back. I wasn't satisfied with the crappy appearance (shaved lead) so I pulled the boolits and dumped the powder.

Finally used my Redding powder trickler, and once the grains started flowing, it was a dependable delivery system. Whipped out my 6mm Satern funnel, so nice not to have to have the funnel tip while pouring out the scale pan into the case. Used a Lee scoop powder measure, and it made the measuring of stick powder pretty easy. Ran into a sticker, the case mouths were still slightly crimped from the boolits, and they had primers in them (hence using the Rem 9 1/2s). The Lee decapper uses a fixed pin and I couldn't get the decapper rod high enough in the collet to not pop the primer...

Pulled out an old RCBS die set, (found my Hornady seater die with micrometer!), dropped the decap pin, ran the expander ball up, then kissed the necks of the cases. Not perfect, but a darned sight better...

Now if I hadn't of misplaced my 6mm Boresnake...

:popcorn:

ohland I think you mean a 210M primer, no need for a 215 mag primer with that tiny amount of powder

swheeler
11-24-2012, 06:33 PM
yep just checked nosler #6-Federal 210M primer