PDA

View Full Version : Hello all.........

jlloyd73
11-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Hello to everyone here. I am named "J" and located in central NC.

Although I am a new member to this site, I am a member of a couple of similar sites. (the-firearms-forum, carolina-shooters-club and carolina-reloaders-club) They are mostly geared towards shooting/guns/reloading and not casting boolits.

I am a shooter/reloader with a variety of "tools" geared towards my hobbies. This is my new one......

----------------

As I said I am new to the casting boolits game......still gathering supplies, but looking forward to one more hobby to keep the wife on her toes......;-)

So far I have gathered around 300lbs of wheel weights......removed all the zinc and steel (not bad for free)

-a propane burner out of a turkey fryer set up (new and free)

-a cast iron lead melting pot ($10 at the flea market)

-a RCBS sizer with 3 sizing dies and 6 top punches ($50) not including a bunch of other items reloading related (I got that stuff for a steal)

I am now in need of some good moulds, ladle, and a few little odd and end things.....

I have been reading everything I can find in regards to casting bullets and the processes involved and find most of it self explanatory. Youtube has lots of info also. I do have a local reloader friend that cast bullets and has decades of experience in reloading, but sometimes he is unavailable.

I am thinking i may try to make my own sizing lube also????

I look forward to being apart of the site and getting to know the members here.

To all of you...........stay safe and keep your powder dry. God help us all, because as recently proven 1/2 of us are clueless.

454PB
11-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Welcome to the forum. There are literally thousands of years of experience and knowledge here, and we all want to see you succeed.

Awsar
11-11-2012, 01:34 AM
welcome
and let me say if you want to know about casting that wonderful silver stuff you have come to the right place ive found more information here then i know what to do with .
the guys here are great and very helpful . and alot of them have problably forgot more about casting then i know . :)

41 mag fan
11-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Welcome aboard. First thing, check out the stickies on here. Theres a weeks worth of non stop reading wealth that takes simplistic to rocket science on casting.

Also check out the swapping and selling forum on here for the items you need, Look in the vendors section for the items you listed above.
When you buy off here you helping out a fellow caster and member. Plus you'll find the customer service by these vendors is the best you'll ever find.

hiram1
11-11-2012, 07:41 AM
welcome to you have a good time.you will find a lot of good guys here..that will help you

44man
11-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Welcome. You will love it here.
Then after years of reading you will see there are just a few basics to casting and it is easier then you think and a great pleasure to shoot something you made yourself.
Then the real beauty is shooting the big bores for ten cents a shot and smaller calibers for far less.

km101
11-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Good to have you along. Sounds like you have a good start on the equipment. If you have questions, there are people here with YEARS of experience and a wealth of knowledge. I have found them to be very helpful to a new guy and quick to offer solutions/suggestions.

Jim
11-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Jus' fallin' in with everybody else here. Welcome, Sir, welcome! Pull up a chair an' let's get us up a good liein' contest. Hang, I might even let you win one! :bigsmyl2:

WILCO
11-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the forum. There are literally thousands of years of experience and knowledge here, and we all want to see you succeed.

Ditto for me!

blackthorn
11-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the addiction!!

Wayne Smith
11-11-2012, 02:36 PM
STOP!! Fall at your wife's feet and beg forgiveness! Throw all those nice tools to someone else or you will be hopelessly and forever caught in the fascination with and addiction to the silver stream.

Moonie
11-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Where in central NC are you? We have lots of guys in this state that cast and I'm sure someone would be happy to help in person if you would like.

**oneshot**
11-12-2012, 01:39 PM
welcome

jlloyd73
11-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Where in central NC are you? We have lots of guys in this state that cast and I'm sure someone would be happy to help in person if you would like.

I am in Rougemont, between Durham and Roxboro. My buddy who casts is on this site as well (just found that out)..........it would be great to learn some secrets.

Echo
11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Welcome, J, to the best forum on the net. The advice re reading all the Stickies is good advice. Also, DL the Frxyell book 'From Ingot to Target'. Check the stickies - it is outstanding, and Glen gives it away for DL'ing.

Love Life
11-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Wlecom to the forum! I never had a mentor or any kind of help when I started casting. I found this site and read for what must have been 4 months before I ordered anything. The knowledge gained here (and hardball alloy from MBC) had me pouring nice boolits in a hurry, and had me lead free in my 454 casull in relatively short time as well.

The knowledge available here is priceless, and the company is great. Members here will help eachother not just on the art of bullet casting, but in just about anything. When a member is in need all flareups are forgotten and people pool to help out.

I think of Cast Boolits as my internet home.

Bullet Caster
11-12-2012, 04:57 PM
+1,000,000 on Love Life's comments. This is the best danged site on the internet and is my home as well. You'll find guys here that are willing to help you in any way that is possible. Like Love Life, I had no one to mentor me and had to do one heck of a lot of reading before I ever cast my first boolit. After reading Glenn Fryxel tome I had no idea what a cherry was. Probably still don't.

Pull up a chair in front of the compooter and have a go at it. Welcome to the addiction. Oh, and by the way, I'm just over the mountain in eastern TN. BC

Love Life
11-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Couldn't anywhere in Tennessee be described as "just over the mountain?"

Bullet Caster
11-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Not so much in western TN. That's just over the mountain and a long holler to go. BC

firefly1957
11-12-2012, 08:51 PM
jlloyd73 You did not mention what you are casting for rifle ,pistol,.... it makes a difference in some of the things you use like lubes for one.

jlloyd73
11-12-2012, 11:19 PM
jlloyd73 You did not mention what you are casting for rifle ,pistol,.... it makes a difference in some of the things you use like lubes for one.

As of now I will be just casting for pistols calibers. Later on I may attempt to try rifle calibers.

I did a list of what sizing dies and top punches I got on my "steal of a deal". They are as follows......

Sizing/Lubricating dies...

Top Punches...

and one unknown/unmarked. The gentleman who previously owned the sizer was a tool and die maker, so it maybe a one of a kind handmade top punch. I will need to measure it to see what it is. I do know it looks like it is for a round nosed bullet...maybe a 45acp.

jlloyd73
11-15-2012, 07:37 PM
So, the gentleman that sold me the sizer etc... emailed me the other day and said he found some more casting stuff that his dad had left. I told him right away that I wanted it.....not really knowing what he had.

For $70 more this is what I acquired.

Lyman Moulds:

# 358477
#358429 (given to my buddy because he always takes care of me when I need reloading stuff)

Lyman 4 cavity Ingot Mould
Lyman Lead Pot
A large set of Lyman handles
and a set of replacement handles.

So what do you guys think......did I make out like a fat rat or what ;)

firefly1957
11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I tried to post an answer the last couple days but was unable to now you got molds my answer is not needed anyway. Make sure those molds are degreased well preheat them and cast away. I have the 358429 and the 452460 (4 hole) they are both good bullets.

jlloyd73
11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
All the moulds look like they are in perfect condition. The guy really took care of his stuff.

Idaho Mule
11-15-2012, 10:50 PM
J, welcome, this sight is great for your casting adventures. Watch, read, and learn, there are some very knowledgable folks here. JW

Crawdaddy
11-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD