PDA

View Full Version : R.e.a.l bullet lube

MosinRob
11-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Do you have to lube a real bullet? What will the use or not using benefit/hurt? thanks guys.

fryboy
11-10-2012, 10:47 PM
ol richard lee suggest his LLA , while i tend to believe that lube helps lla doesnt quite work the way more umm accepted black powder lubes work so i often just smear'em with emmert's or something similar , for just a few shots with the r.e.a.l.s however the lla does work ( as the r.e.a.l. it's self scrapes most the fouling down the bore on top of the powder charge where it has another chance to get blown out of the bore lolz

357maximum
11-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I have found that a lube made rendered deer tallow 90% and a 10% amount of soft microwax makes the best R.E.A.L lube I have personally used. The pure tallow itself is almost as good and I would use only that if I did not have the microwax. Them R.E.A.L boolits are the best product to ever cross Richard Lee's synapses in my opinion. I have shot the lighter one for caliber in all my various frontstuffers and all of them liked them, and you can shoot alot of them before the frontstuffer says "swab me".

Larry Gibson
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I use my BP lube which is 5 parts beeswax to 4 parts virgin olive oil; easily mixed in a "double boiler" made with a Pyrex measuring cup and a sauce pan with water in it. Once made the lube is easy to apply to REALs or other cast bullets by hand or with a luberasizer.

Larry Gibson

Elkins45
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
I use shortening, and the cheap store brands that are loaded with saturated fats work just as well as Crisco brand IMO. I dump a big spoonful into a ziplock bag and throw in a handful of boolets, then squish them around until the grooves fill up.

357maximum
11-14-2012, 10:35 PM
I use shortening, and the cheap store brands that are loaded with saturated fats work just as well as Crisco brand IMO. I dump a big spoonful into a ziplock bag and throw in a handful of boolets, then squish them around until the grooves fill up.

:mrgreen:No way that can work...much too simple.:Fire: Now if you added in some color and scent I might believe you. [smilie=l:

nanuk
11-15-2012, 09:54 PM

:mrgreen:No way that can work...much too simple.:Fire: Now if you added in some color and scent I might believe you. [smilie=l:

and then cook it for 30 min....
then add some grease, taking an hour to squish the blobs...
THEN cook it three more times......

perhaps then, it MAY work

:bigsmyl2:

ihuntbear
11-16-2012, 09:15 AM
ive used shortning in a pinch but it fouls the barrel something awful..i have to clean the barrel after every 5 shots.not bad for hunting but a pain at the range..now i use bees wax bear fat and shortning one pound each and a half can of bag balm. .heat until melted add a little winter green for smell...I hate bad smelling lube

Moonie
11-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I always used the TC natural lube 1000 with bore butter when I was casting that boolit.

Elkins45
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
I always used the TC natural lube 1000 with bore butter when I was casting that boolit.

See post #6 :)

I actually went to the pharmacy and bought a bottle of wintergreen oil on the assumption that since T/C advertised that stuff as food grade it must just be shortening and wintergreen.

Best I could tell adding the wintergreen oil didn't make my homebrew perform any better than the regular old hydrogenated fat.