PDA

View Full Version : 12 Pellet #1 buck?

John in WI
11-10-2012, 09:53 PM
I ordered some new Federal wads and hulls from BPI and am trying to figure out how to put some 12 gauge buck shot loads together.

If I cut the petals off the wad I can stack #1 pellets in layers of 4. As it turns out, I can't put 4 layers to get 16 pellets because it doesn't leave enough for a roll-crimp. I can fit 3 layers to get a 12 pellet load and it gives perfect height if you put a overshot card under the shot.

The pellets come in at 35 grains, so 12 pellets comes in just a hair over 1 ounce. The Hodgdon site shows 20grains of International using my wads, primers, and hulls.

What do you think about a 12-pellet #1 buck? I would pretty much be using it as a practice HD load (they don't allow buckshot for bucks around WI). But I read somewhere that regular 16 pellet #1 had like 30% more ballistic cross section than 00 does. So it seems that cutting back from 16 to 12 pellets reduces the cross section by 25% which should still be 5% than 00.

I'm not trying to start a "which one is better" fight--OO and #1 are both really mean and adequate for something like HD. Just curious if you guys believe that the a 12 pellet #1 ranks up there with 16 pellet and OO. I was under the impression that penetration is more important than diameter (were those the Fackler studies?). 12 .30" holes vs. 9 .33" holes. Does .03" make a difference in this case?

pipehand
11-11-2012, 01:09 PM
John, I have a couple of boxes of Winchester's #1 3" magnum loads. There are 24 pellets in the cartridge, weighing around 2 ounces. Would love to recreate that load with water dropped cast shot and a buffer. I believe you can get 12 #1's in one of the more capacious wads like the winchester 12R or the remington wad for the 1&5/8 ounce loads. Currently loading a trap equivalent 9 pellet O-/1+ load of .311" pellets that patern well, and fit in WAA12(white) wads.

John in WI
11-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I bet a 2 ounce magnum load is easy on the shoulder!

I was able to get 12 pellets in the WAA wads I was using (3x4). But then it came to my attention that the over powder section of a WAA wasn't the proper thing to use in a straight walled hull. It's safe, but that the powder can rattle in to the cushion section over time.

So I switched to the Feds and got the one with 1-1 1/8ounce capacity. I think I should have gotten the largest possible payload wad for this application. My problem is that I don't know any reloaders locally and so testing any new components involves buying a big sack of wads.

Anyway, I am using water dropped WW shot that I cranked up with a bit of lino and a bit of silver solder. It should be around 4% antimony, 3-4% tin, and just a touch of silver, copper, and arsenic (whatever minor contributions come from the WW and the lead free solder). I shot some of my old loads into wet phone books and the pellets were barely deformed so I think they are pretty robust.

If you need a pound or two of some good, hard #1, let me know!

Shooter6br
11-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I use Fed Gold Metal hulks.2 3/4 in with 12 no 1's at 40 grains each F3 wad. Universal powder.Load like same weight birdshot.For home use a development setting