PDA

View Full Version : Want to research Kimber

FallRun
06-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm looking to buy a Kimber 1911. Can anyone tell me about some good research links or better yet a Kimber message board? Thanx in advance.

NVcurmudgeon
06-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Don't know of a site where you can get an unbiased report, but I have shot three or four full-size Kimbers and found accuracy to be great. Also, I got to test a Kimber 3" .45 ACP for a friend who had doubts about it's reliability. The little Kimber happily digested good factory loads and even my target loads without missing a lick, and its accuracy was very impressive. Turned out my friend had had trouble with CCI Blazers and thought the gun was to blame.

AnthonyB
06-13-2007, 10:10 AM
I can't give an unbiased report but can tell you about my Stainless Compact. I bought it used in 1997 and have fired thousands of rounds from it since, both lead and jacketed. From 1999-2002 I had almost unlimited access to all the 45 ball I could shoot, and I made good use of the opportunity.

Positives - the pistol never jammed with ball or any factory load, and is more accurate than I can hold. It would often be completely black from the very dirty military powder and was more reliable than several high dollar Springfield Armory pistols that had very tight match chambers. The trigger was good out of the box; Kimber did a trigger job when I sent the gun back for service in 2002 (see negatives below) and it is even better know.

Negatives - the barrel wasn't strong enough to hold two bullets at one time when I had the only squib round I've ever loaded. I was in a match and cleared what I thought was a jam with a lightly loaded RCBS 200 SWC; the next shot split the barrel and locked the slide to the rear. Both bullets hit the target! Kimber replaced the barrel and checked everything out, did the trigger job, and installed Ashley Express Big Dot tritium sights, all for a very reasonable price. The MIM (metal injection mould) slide release broke in the middle of a match, promptly dropping the magazine. Kimber sent a replacement catch immediately, and this one had an obvious hole from a forming flaw. I replaced it with a Wilson and never had any other problems. The extractor wasn't properly tensioned and would occasionally send an empty straight back into my face; a Wilson extractor seems to have fixed that as well.

The negatives list takes up more space than the positives, but it doesn’t take much space to say something works. The pistol has been very reliable with several different boolits and is one of my personal favorites; I don’t think you would go wrong buying one. Tony

9.3X62AL
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
My experience with the Kimber 1911A1 is limited, but the example I've fired (target variant) is every bit as accurate as any Gold Cup I've ever tried out. It digests 185-200 grain cast WC/SWC deftly, hardball FMJ and cast, and with a little OAL tweaking it ran the BD 45's very well. Trigger is GREAT, and no control anamolies like those Tony spoke of have occurred yet (3,000 round service life).

C A Plater
06-13-2007, 10:29 AM
1911 Forum has a Kimber message board here: http://www.1911forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

LarryM
06-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Here is another forum with a Kimber section

http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

I picked up my Custom II fullsize Friday after work. Only been able to put 100 rounds through so far and I have had a few stoppages. First 50 rounds I had several failure to return to battery both from slidelock and while shooting. I then stripped it down and gave it another good cleaning and the next day i returned to the range and only had 2 FRTB, 1 from slidelock and one while fireing.

Shepherd2
06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I bought my Kimber back when they only had 2 models available. Fixed sights or adjustable. Without a doubt one of the best handguns I own. Utterly reliable and other than cleaning the only maintenance has been a new recoil spring every 2 or 3 thousand rounds.

redneckdan
06-13-2007, 01:32 PM
The only Kimber I have ever experienced is a fellow RO's. He spent about 4 months sending it back to the factory trying to get it to feed right. Finally he got tired of it and between the two of us with guidance from the club 'smith we pretty much took it down to bare reciever and slide and rebuilt the whole gun. Now it works fine. I never had any such problems with my mil-spec nor another RO's GI-spec .45 Thats just my .02

Bullshop
06-13-2007, 03:17 PM
HMMMM, how come everybodys Kimer is a 45 but mine is a 30/06?
Shoulda known it, I always seem to get the freak.
BIC/BS

Jack Stanley
06-13-2007, 10:07 PM
HMMMM, how come everybodys Kimer is a 45 but mine is a 30/06?
Shoulda known it, I always seem to get the freak.
BIC/BS

Awwww , that ain't so freaky . I got one that will put five Winchester forty grain bullets into a quarter inch and another that will use any ol'M16 ammo ya gots .[smilie=1: Maybe they's cousins huh?

Jack

FallRun
06-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Thank You all for your help. From what I have read so far, it appeares that as of late, Kimber has a little quality control problem. Guess I'll just have to keep researching, or perhaps just go with a Colt.

redneckdan
06-14-2007, 03:33 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! avoid colt like the plauge! unless you can get your hands on a series 70, the kind with out the fire pin block. Colt used to make great guns, the python and the series 70 1911 come to mind. Honestly, the best game in town at this point is springfield armory.

sundog
06-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Check out Para Ordnance before you decide. I'm kinda partial to the Kimber I have.

waksupi
06-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Look around, and see if you can find one of hte Argetine Colts. good shooters. Better than most that cost twice as much. Wish I would have bought more at $160 each.

Johnch
06-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Guess I'll just have to keep researching, or perhaps just go with a Colt.

IMO a bad idea

I bought a new Gold cup a few years back

Brand new magazine , would not feed
The spring wasn't strong enough
Slide just went over the top round most of the time.

Also muzzel end of the barrel looked to be finished off with a belt sander
No crown
It shot patterens , not groups .
Most were 18"+
With every ammo I tryed

Called Colt

First off , they will not warrenty a magazine , even if brand new
They told me flat out , buy a new one you are SOL

As for the barrel
They told me to send the gun to them
8+ months later , I got the pistol back
Same barrel , because I put a X on it with a Sharpie where it would not show unless you took the barrel out

They claimed to have replaced the barrel and test fired it
Even sent me the target
Claimed to be a 25 yard group , it was about 3"

But where the X was , it would have been worn if fired
X looked just like new , maybe a few shots
Oh they did crown it , sort of
Looked to be done with a 45 degree cutter in a hand drill , at least to my eyes
With the "crown " more to 1 side

It would now shoot group 10" - 12" groups at 25 yards
Called them again
Got a run around
I would get transferred 2 or 3 times then cut off

Put a used barrel in it , it would now shoot sub 4" at 25 yards and sold it

So IMO Colt is limping along on their name

John

BD
06-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I am a Kimber fan. They're not perfect, but IMHO they are the best value out there. I own three, one in each barrel length. I fluff and buff everything when I get it, and these three got that treatment and ED Brown "hardcore" slide stops and extractors right out of the box, along with Hogue rubber finger groove grips.

3" series 1 Ultra carry: About 5,000 rounds through it and it has never failed to feed and fire. Not once. I have jammed it up by pounding 10 round mags into it during a match, but that's certainly not the pistol's fault. I broke the ejector off of this gun like that using 10 round Tripp research mags and it still runs flawlessly. It will go back to Kimber for an ejector as soon as I get around to it. I carried this gun for a few years with absolute confidence. I milled and filled white dots into the sights.

4" Series II Tactical Pro Carry. About 3,000 rounds and it has never failed to feed and fire. Not Once. I bought this gun used and had to do some real work to the series II safety in order to be able to take it down without forcing the slide over the disconector. I'm the third owner and I am sure that it came my way used due to the take down issue. I took off the mag well and bobtailed this and it is my carry gun of choice. IMHO a four inch bobtail 1911 is the best carry gun there is. It has an aluminum frame like the Ultra carry so I try not to use it too hard. However, I'll shoot it in an IDPA match about every 6 months just to "stay in touch", and last Saturday I had a better score with the 4" gun than with the five inch gun. (Of course the second time through the same course of fire "should" be faster). Still using the same white 3 dot sights that came on it.

5" series 1 Classic Custom. Somewhere over 60,000 rounds throug it. This is the gun I practice with and shoot in matches. It has an MMC adjustable white dot rear sight and an EGW red fiber optic front sight. This is the third sight setup i've tried hoping for something to offset the deterioration of my eyesight. I put the mag well from the Pro Tactical on it in the hopes of speeding up my reloads. Both moves in vain. In addition to the hardcore slide stop and and extractor I've replaced the ejector, mag latch, grip screws and the barrel. I rung the barrel the same way Tony did by shooting over a squib, but mine didn't split or quit and I didn't realise it was rung until I cleaned it. Kimber replaced it for $179.00 and had it back to me within two weeks. I'm getting ready to replace the guide rod and the firing pin stop as well. The slide frame fit is still excellent. I clean this every 500-600 rounds or when I get around to it. Once a year or so I take it all the way down and clean the crud out of the nooks and crannies. This gun has probably experienced every form of failure possible at least once so far. I've found that when the little bits wear out or break the gun will often malfunction, but most of the malfunctions have really been due to worn out mags, followers and springs. I broke the ejector off of this gun with those same Tripp 10 round mags. They are just too long. Every time you seat them they contact the ejector. I'm on my third set of Wilson mags for competition in this gun.

I have found that Kimber customer service is excellant and I believe that you are more likely to get a good runnin' Kimber out of the box than from anyone else in this price range. All 1911s are dependant on some close tolerances for proper function and when you tighten these tolerances to gain accuracy you will need to do some fine tuning to get reliable function. There are a few companies out there who have tightened the tolerances, but none of the "big three" are really doing the fine tuning. They are all using MIM parts to some extent. I feel that a real good slide stop and extractor should be put into any of the current guns from Kimber or Springfield. I carried all of the original slidestops and extractors out of these guns in my range bag. I think I'm down to one extractor, are of the other parts found homes replacing broken bits at matches. Many of them in new Springers. Throats are another issue. I've looked at a lot of 1911s and some had throats and some didn't. It's a hand turned reamer which cuts the throat and it's completely subjective. If you took ten NIB 1911s from the same, or different, manufacturers I bet you'd see 10 different throats every time. If you get one with no throat , borrow a reamer and throat it. So I say have at it. Find the one you like and shoot as much as you can. If you can find a used series 1 Kimber, buy it. Replace the bits when they break and shoot it some more. After 20,000 - 30,000 rounds you'll get a real feel for the thing and maybe you'll want something fancier. Or maybe you won't.
BD

Unter
06-16-2007, 12:08 AM
We have a couple full size Kimber 1911's in .45 and a commander size in 9mm. The two Custom 2's have not hiccupped on factory ammo or reloads. The 9mm was quickly sent back to Kimber on their dime for spring and ejector replacement. The wife is now quite satisfied with the 9, beats the heck out of the old S&W 915 she had. The S&W functioned flawlessly, not quite sure why I disliked that gun. The only fond memory I have of it was the surprising amount it brought as a trade.

I will not buy another Kimber 1911 unless I sell one of my Colts. That aint happenin. I just need more time to enjoy the guns that I have.

My son handles all makes on a regular basis, sees issues with many guns and is MUCH more accurate a shooter than I ever was. He thinks Kimber is perhaps the best choice for the money.

The only 1911 frame pistols I do not like are the ones that rattle incessantly when shaken.

Ramblings of an enthusiast......

Hunter
06-16-2007, 12:37 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! avoid colt like the plauge! unless you can get your hands on a series 70, the kind with out the fire pin block. Colt used to make great guns, the python and the series 70 1911 come to mind. Honestly, the best game in town at this point is springfield armory.

I think you are mistaken. Colt is producing the highest quality Government Models on the market today.
Check your Springfield MiM parts vs. Colt.
Colts are fitted with quality parts by gunsmiths who know their job not assemblers. Do you remember Springfield using MiM extractors?
I have a good cross section of Colts from 1918 to 2007 and all are quality. I know they make a less than stellar pistol from time to time (no one is immune to the nature of the beast). I have bought 3 Colt Government Models within a year all brand new. A 1991 NRM GM in Super .38, a Gold Cup Trophy and a Special Combat Government in Super .38. All 3 have been flawless out the box from home cast LSWC to aggressive JHP and FMJ.
I believe Colt owners are of the most satisfied customers in the Government Model market. I feel sure that extends outside that market as well.

Hunter
06-16-2007, 12:42 AM
First off , they will not warrenty a magazine , even if brand new
They told me flat out , buy a new one you are SOL

John

I am not sure who you spoke with but you were mislead.
I had a Metalform magazine fail (baseplate welds broke) that came new with my Special Combat Government. I called Cindy and she shipped me a new Metalform magazine right out no problem. Whom did you speak with?
I know most of the crowd at Colt and have never been SOL.

FallRun
06-16-2007, 06:14 AM
I'd like to thank all of you again for your input. I have till September to make a decision and I'll think long and hard about what you have written here. Thanx again. I just LOVE this board