PDA

View Full Version : '94 30-30 help, please

Pitchnit
11-10-2012, 12:55 PM
I recently picked up a 1969 mod 94 Winchester in 30-30. This is my 1st .30 cal centerfire. I slugged the generously oiled bore, it was snug/tight the first 1-2 inches then an easy slip (2 fingers on the rod) for the next 3-4 then snugged back up for 3-4 then a very easy slide (almost fell out) for the remainder of the bore. I started at the muzzle and worked back to the breach. Slug measured .308-.3085.
I'm thinking the end at the breach may be close to .310 actual since I had a very nice and easy slip fit. With this in mind I think I should start casting .311-.3115. i dont plan on using this for hunting mostly play time stuff with light/medium loads.
Don't know if it matters but I did clean out all the copper fouling with boretech eliminator prior to slugging. So where should I start and should I buy a couple sizing dies just in case? I do not have any loading dies or moulds yet. Regards-Pitchnit

Gtek
11-10-2012, 01:52 PM
One of the best ways is drive one an inch forward of chamber and back out, and mic fire case neck. Being a Marlin kind of guy I feel for you in that area, I can have my bolt out in 30 seconds. Thinking/guessing may take you to a fouled bore. Usually .310" will work, .311" may be better, the barrel will tell you. The 31141 is a hard one to beat, most .30 WCF guy's have at least one if not more. Gtek

Greg B.
11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
You might want to consider firelapping your barrel to get more consistent internal barrel measurements. Lead Bullet Technology and Beartooth Bullets have kits. On the other hand it might shoot just fine seeing as how the tight spot seems to be at the muzzle and bullets will be sized to this dimension before exiting the barrel.

rintinglen
11-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Shoot it before you start fire lapping. I have a re-barreled Canadian Centennial that has a "loose" spot in the barrel, but still shoots better than any other 30-30 I own.

TXGunNut
11-11-2012, 02:29 AM
My 94 .32 was built that year. Seems the tight points coincide with the sight dovetails, have noticed that w/ Marlins as well.
Shoot a .311 boolit and see what happens. With a quality lube & GC a slight variation in the bore may have little or no effect. If you're shooting it with opens or peeps as God and JMB intended it's probably a moot point.
Pics?