PDA

View Full Version : Encounter in the squirrel woods

Olevern
11-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Took a boy I mentor (Zack) squirrel hunting yesterday, got him out in the woods early and in a grove that always holds squirrel. Had to walk in about a half a mile, discovered I am in better shape that said 11 year old, he complaining about being tired before we got halfway there (they don't make them like they usta).

Anyway, set up under a large tree with our bun warmers under us (woods was still a bit damp from several days rain)and whispered a reminder to be quiet and not move.

About fifteen minutes into the stand, I began to hear some movement in the leaves behind us (and behind the tree we were leaning against). I put my hand on the boys knee to get his attention and motioned quiet with my finger, pointing around the tree to his left.

The noise continued, coming our way and around the tree, not ten feet away from us, came a large bodied, eight point buck. He walked around the tree and stared right at us, approaching even a bit closer.

The whole while the buck was moving his head from side to side as if trying to discover what we were. Then, the buck snorted (we didn't move). He then stamped the ground with his feet and advanced. (we still didn't move)

By this time I was getting somewhat concerned and wondering if I could get to my handgun in time if this buck got aggressive (I had handed the .410 pump to the boy for the stand)

Then the wind shifted from behind the buck to where he caught a whiff of our scent and he bolted, however, he only ran about fifteen feet then turned and stared at us again. This time he was far enough away that I eased my hand over to my holster and put my hand on my model 27 Smith, just in case he came back in.

But, he turned casually away and began slowing picking his way down a deer trail away from us.

Zack was very excited. He babbled on and on about "did you see that?" and "did you see how close we were to him", etc. I didn't tell him that the buck probably was in rut and was possibly about to defend his territory against invaders (us).

It could have gotten ugly quick. The buck caught me unprepared because I was focused on squirrel and thought the noise was probably a squirrel (until the buck came around the tree and was already too close)

I think an experience that Zack will not forget. He couldn't wait to get home to tell his dad and friends.

Unfortunately, the grove was devoid of squirrels this year. Very poor mast crop and they probably moved over to a nearby woods adjacent to a corn field (on posted property)

Gotta head down to NJ again to help out with my daughter's care and relieve my wife to come up for a spell, so won't get to hunt with Zack again for several weeks. Have promised him the first day of rifle deer which is the monday after Thanksgiving and he wants to be right there in that same spot.

WILCO
11-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Great story!

Mk42gunner
11-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I have heard a lot of squirrels that made me think there was a deer coming, but not too many deer that made me think a squirrel was in the neighborhood. Just goes to prove that squirrel hunting is good training for deer hunting. (By the way a 6.5-06 is not too big to head shoot squirrels with).

Good on you and Zach for not spooking the buck clear out of the county.

...and he wants to be right there in that same spot.

Understandable, after all he has the firsthand scouting report for that spot. Now if the buck will show up...

Best wishes for your daughter.

Robert

WRideout
11-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I've seen really nice bucks when anything but deer was in season. Good story; Zack is a lucky boy.
Wayne

Olevern
11-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Best wishes for your daughter.

Robert

thank you, Sir

starmac
11-10-2012, 03:45 PM
I was sitting on my but at the base of a tree deer hunting when I heard leaves rustling. I couldn't see where it was coming from and couldn't make out what it was by the noise. I finally noticed something under the leaves moving around and watched it for a while before it came right between my legs and poked it's head out. It was an armidillo about 1/4 grown. It gave me a good laugh. lol

Echo
11-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I was in a stand on my wife's uncle's ranch. Quiet as a mouse - and a squirrel decided to come visit. He climbed over my boot checked me out, stayed a while, and continued on his quest. Neat that I didn't cause him to scoot...

catmandu
11-10-2012, 11:32 PM
I was camoed out in a tree stand bow hunting. Now I'll never admit to sleeping but I may have checked my eyelids for a moment or two. Well I had my bow in my hand in front of me with an arrow nocked up. Next thing I know an owl flys up and decided to pearch on my arrow. Don't know who was more surprised, me or him. I just know Me and him are eye to eye and both startled that the other was there. We both backpetaled, me on the stand and him in the air (never did figure out how he did that) Well after that I was wide awake. No deer. But what an experience.

Paul in WNY

gnoahhh
11-11-2012, 03:02 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's stories of that nature that are as fun as stories about our hunting prowess. Well played!

I had a similar story, in reverse. A small half-grown squirrel came mooching along toward where I was sitting at the base of a tree while deer hunting, with a walnut in his mouth bigger than his head. When he got about 8 feet away he finally saw me and froze with a wild eyed look- obviously thinking "holy s**t, there's a hunter.". After a little bit, he dropped the walnut and skeedaddled. After just a couple steps though, he remembered the walnut and came running back, grabbed the walnut, and took off again. I sat there and laughed my butt off. Even if I were squirrel hunting that day, I couldn't have shot him for anything!

starmac
11-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Have you seen the Utube arrow where the moose walked up and chewed on the hunters notched arrow. That would have been a hold your breath moment.

MakeMineA10mm
11-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Vern,
Great story!!!

WRideout,
Is that an M107 or an M110A1 in your avatar? You a red leg? (If I could've gotten in the military, that's the branch and gun I'd like to have been assigned to.)

Blacksmith
11-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I was camoed out in a tree stand bow hunting. Now I'll never admit to sleeping but I may have checked my eyelids for a moment or two. Well I had my bow in my hand in front of me with an arrow nocked up. Next thing I know an owl flys up and decided to pearch on my arrow. Don't know who was more surprised, me or him. I just know Me and him are eye to eye and both startled that the other was there. We both backpetaled, me on the stand and him in the air (never did figure out how he did that) Well after that I was wide awake. No deer. But what an experience.

Paul in WNY

Paul if your eyes were open it would have looked something like this:
http://www.dogwork.com/owfo8/

Originally posted in this thread:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=171126