PDA

View Full Version : anyone experience NOE 452 230Gr. HP

herbie
11-09-2012, 08:25 PM
does anyone have experience with this mold?
I need to know what diam you have been getting out of these molds because i have a Star boolit sizer which has a .452 die that is appearently pretty sensistive. I tried sizing some boolits today that i made with a lee 6 cav 452 228 RN and i had to take the die out and actually hammer the boolits through cause they were so tight, in fact the last lube groove had almost disappeared from being squeezed so tight. I shipped the mold back to midway today for a refund and am looking to get the NOE 452-230G-HP-RG4-PB. Just need to know how much bigger than .452 these boolits drop out of this NOE mold. thanks

Hickory
11-09-2012, 08:48 PM
A friend of mind bought this mould.
He wanted me to cast him up some while he recovers from an operation.
They cast great once the mould is hot and they drop from the mould at just a hair over .452.
My friend has already shot some through his 1911 45 acp. and wants to use the in his T/C 45win mag, and 45 colt S&W governor.

bigboredad
11-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Mine drop right at .452 or just a touch over

Kimber451
03-03-2013, 02:16 PM
I have one of these 452 230Gr HP (.20) RG4 cavity PB. The size depends on the temperature of the lead, mold and pressure when poring and type of cooling. It all comes down to consistency in motion, time between pours and the content of your lead. .452-.455 using Linotype. 4%-tin,-12%-antimony-and-84%-lead. Temperature is critical for consistent size. I personal size and sort them by weight. My bell curve is from 207 Gr to 212 gr with the bell at 209 gr for hollow points. Non hollow point 222-226 gr with the bell at 223 gr. Non hollow point is more consistent than hollow point for both size and weight. Might be the temp and reaction of the hollow point pins.

You may have different results using wheel weights or battery lead as the additives change the weight, density and flow of the alloy. You can see mine pours light with Linotype but it is harder and possibly can be shot faster. Linotype just makes pretty bullets.

Johnson's double baked floor wax for lube. Once before sizing and once after for shine and goober removal from the hollow points.