hows it going smashing any deer
seems like this time of year we hears on all the deer you shot by now
Take em with the 500 Jrh ? 44 Mag or muzzleloader :cbpour:

44man
11-09-2012, 12:40 PM
hows it going smashing any deer
seems like this time of year we hears on all the deer you shot by now
Take em with the 500 Jrh ? 44 Mag or muzzleloader :cbpour:
I had a deer jump the string in bow season and have had trouble drawing the things anyway. Early doe season was HOT so I did not hunt. Only three days.
I have to wait until Nov 19 to hunt now. That is when gun season opens for buck or doe. I will report as the season goes on.
I will take the JRH first. I need two for me and four for the neighbors. So many deer it will be no problem. I know where they travel.

white eagle
11-09-2012, 05:36 PM
best of luck Jim
our general gun season opens up a week from tom.
took the boy out shooting his Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 and we saw 3 deer and one buck on my trail cam....Who knows but things are starting to pop [smilie=p:

warf73
11-10-2012, 04:24 AM
I had a deer jump the string .

Had this happen Monday morning, darn string hit my jacket and the doe jumped over it pulled fur but nothing else.
That will teach me getting back into bow hunting after 20 years lol never had a deer jump over a bullet.

44man
11-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Had this happen Monday morning, darn string hit my jacket and the doe jumped over it pulled fur but nothing else.
That will teach me getting back into bow hunting after 20 years lol never had a deer jump over a bullet.
I never had deer jump recurves or stick bows but I can hardly pull them now, too old.
Had tons jump compounds even at 10 yards, then the next does not move. I still think there is a high frequency sound and even weather or time of day affects sound transmission.
The new bows are loaded with sound suppression devices but I can't afford them. Bows have been getting faster and faster shooting lighter arrows that do not work as good as a heavy arrow, that makes them more high strung with more noise so they add a few pounds of rubber snubbers.
Some bows are so bad that if you shoot at a squirrel on the ground, he will be 15 feet up a tree barking before your arrow hits the ground!
No arrow speed on earth can beat an animals reactions.
The best is still a stick bow, you can shoot at a deer three times without spooking him.

white eagle
11-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Not true
I shot a turkey with a compound bow from a blind I made in a corn field
It was a hen in the fall season and all the others in the group did was scatter a tiny bit and come rite back to feeding even watched their com-padre flop around
I have even emptied a quiver full of arrows (6) at a deer and it still came around...... sometimes I guess that I don't know enough to quit while I am ahead

44man
11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Depends on the bow. The hardest thing is to try bows out and pick one. Those that sound quiet to us can spook deer.
I had a crossbow in Ohio that sounded like a train wreck but never spooked a deer. I have had bows I could not hear that drove deer nuts.
I had a Jennings compound long ago I shot many deer with but wanted more speed so I pre loaded the limbs. After that I could hit NOTHING alive. It was deadly accurate but I had to get rid of it. Shot at a buck once, he bolted, spun around and ran back, I hit him in the liver on the opposite side.
All three of my Brownings have spooked deer at one time or another. I don't hear a thing.
I have never pinned it down, even recorded sounds and ran them through a frequency program.

warf73
11-11-2012, 01:44 AM
My old bow was a Browning but couldn’t get it to shoot worth a hoot last fall.
I ended up with a Mission Endeavor love the bow I'm spot on out to 30 yards. I don’t blame the bow for the miss I blame the loose nut behind the string. I didn’t practice with my hunting jacket on like I should have (I knew better just didn’t do better). I've got that problem fixed now but the deer aren't moving very well, once this big front gets threw I hope the deer start moving again.

44man
11-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I wish you luck with your hunting.
My friend just mailed me. His son lost a nice buck he shot at from 40 yards. He is a master class shooter winning at 3D. The deer moved.
Then a picture of a deer recovered shot in the hams.
They all use new Mathew's bows and are having the same problems.
They have been trying to talk me into the bows but this gives me concern. Thousands for a setup that can make deer jump!!!!
The older PSE and Golden Eagle bows did not spook deer. They were slow but accurate. The old Wing bows were great.
As speed increased, so did some sound deer will not tolerate. Until arrows exceed the speed of sound and gets there first, old, slow stuff works better.
Bow makers know the problems and keep sticking more and more silencer systems on the bows but to no avail. Cable stops and all kinds of rubber coils in limbs. I put all the junk on my bows and not a thing has helped.
A deer is a tight coiled spring released instantly with the wrong sound. Archery has gone backwards trying to make an arrow beat the noise. It can't be done.

Thumbcocker
11-12-2012, 11:19 AM
I have never bought into the speed bow concept. I shoot a Mathews SQ2 set at 60# with aluminum arrows and 125 grn mechanical heads. At the bow shop they told me I almost qualified for primitive archer with my obsolete aluminum arrows and old bow. 2 in the freezer so far this year so I guess they still work.

bigboredad
11-12-2012, 06:10 PM
hey david how is your hunting going or are yo getting hammered by that dam cold front. I hope you smack one with your .480. You weren't kidding when you said they are accurate. Mine can make even me look like I know what I'm doing. I really want to shoot long range with it. So far I've only shot 25yardsI did have one quick chance at some clay pigeons that were 50yds and it was amazingly easy to hit those

44man
11-13-2012, 09:23 AM
hey david how is your hunting going or are yo getting hammered by that dam cold front. I hope you smack one with your .480. You weren't kidding when you said they are accurate. Mine can make even me look like I know what I'm doing. I really want to shoot long range with it. So far I've only shot 25yardsI did have one quick chance at some clay pigeons that were 50yds and it was amazingly easy to hit those
You can't do much better then a .480 for hunting! It is a great round and the only thing that bothered me was the way Ruger handled it.
They should have made both a SRH and SBH with 5 shot cylinders for the best of both worlds.

white eagle
11-13-2012, 06:02 PM
oh man the SBH in a 480 ..........what a deal
better would be a Bh with a Bisley grip frame
Yeah I know Jim ....but what the heck I like em'''

bigboredad
11-13-2012, 06:09 PM
oh man the SBH in a 480 ..........what a deal
better would be a Bh with a Bisley grip frame
Yeah I know Jim ....but what the heck I like em'''

I'm with a that one I trying to figure out how to have my spare bisley converted on the cheap

saz
11-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm with a that one I trying to figure out how to have my spare bisley converted on the cheap

+1 here for a SBH.....

44man
11-14-2012, 09:16 AM
The Ruger Hunter would be a great platform!

Lefty SRH
11-14-2012, 08:21 PM
The Ruger Hunter would be a great platform!

My thoughts exactly! I really enjoy my SRH .480 but would love to be a SBH Bisley Hunter 5 shot .480 also.