PDA

View Full Version : One Spot Multi-press Mounting

Bigscot
06-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Is anyone as cramped for loading bench space as me and has needed to mount/use more than one press in the same spot? If so, how did you go about doing it? Bolt and unbolt or quick change setup? Any pics?

Bigscot

NVcurmudgeon
06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I have plenty of bench space and only two presses, so don't feel too crowded. The other bench, the one that all gun work and cleaning is done on is small, but has my vise mounted on one corner. I use the vise to hold several low-stress tools that don't have to be mounted all the time and therefore can leave the small bench uncluttered for gun work. There are two Lyman 450 lube/sizers, a Forster case trimmer, a cleaning/gunwork cradle, and even a boolit tray which can be pointed handy for the Dillon Square Deal machine on the main loading bench. The window is nearby, so the cleaning cradle does double duty as a bore sighting fixture. All of these tools are bolted to wooden blocks which fit the vise jaws. They are available when wanted but easily sent "home," a lot like the neighbor's children.

alamogunr
06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my bench top so I mounted my presses to rectangular pieces of a phenolic material I salvaged from my former place of employment. The stuff is extremely tough and I could drill and tap holes and epoxy threaded studs and mount the presses. So instead of many holes, I have two holes that I use to mount to the bench with extra large bolts and nuts.
John

shooter2
06-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I mounted my presses and tools on some 12" X 12" X 1/4" steel plate that I bought locally. Mark out the mounting holes for the tools and drill with a drill press (best choice) and countersink from the bottom so you can mount the tools with flathead bolt (nut goes on top). The bolt size for the tool is dependent on the hole size in the tool. Then I drilled through the plates at the four corners and mounted through the bench with some 1/4" bolts and large wing nuts so I can tighten by hand. Use a large fender washer on both sides of those corner bolts. I bought some cork with a sticky back at Home depot and put it on the bottom of the plate so it does not scratch the bench. Very stable and only a couple minutes to switch between my presses. In retrospect I could have gotten by with a 10" X 10" plate. Perhaps a sturdy wooden plate would work, but cannot speak to that. If I could ever figure out how to post a picture I would do that.

schutzen
06-12-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm much the same. I have two presses mounted permanently, a Dillon 650 and a PW 800. In between them I have 5 feet with 4 anchor lugs mounted in the bench.
I have 6-12"X14"X1/4" aluminum plates that bolt down to the bench. Each of the plates has a home built riser similar to a Dillon Strong Mount bolted to it. My lubersizers, single stage press, and case trimmer are attached to these mounts/plates. I swap out the plates as needed. Probably not the best system, but it works for me. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

e15cap
06-12-2007, 04:56 PM
I wanted to use 4 different MEC loaders in one position. I used 4 T-nuts on the bottom side of the bench and bolts and washers from the top. Quick and clean to change machines and just the 4 holes in the bench. Roger

LarryM
06-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I swap between two presses, powder measure stand and Lyman sizer.
I drilled and tapped a section of 1/4" plate to accept 5/16-18 bolts in a pattern for each different piece of equipment. Change out takes less than a minute.

targetshootr
06-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm gonna have to go in there with explosives when the time comes to make room on the loading bench (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/Im000402.jpg). [smilie=1:

alamogunr
06-12-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm gonna have to go in there with explosives when the time comes to make room on the loading bench (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/Im000402.jpg). [smilie=1:

Thank you for posting that. At least I'm not the only one that is organizationally challenged.

John

44man
06-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Get a Thompson tool mount. Two hole. www.thompsontoolmount.com. I have one plate on my bench and everything I have mounts to it. Trimmers, powder measure, all kinds of presses, etc. I make my own plates to engage the bench plate so I save buying all the plates. The thing is great.

melw
06-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Go to this link and see my setup.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=157466&page=2
The third post up from the bottem.
Mel W.

KCSO
06-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Somewhat like the tool mount I used scrap oak to make base plated and the tool slides into a frame mounted on the bench. For lighter duty (tru line) presses good knot free pine works just about as well. I can pull one pin and slip out a press and slip in a trimmer, measure or a lube sizer.

LarryM
06-12-2007, 10:12 PM

A workbench that well organized is the sign of a sick mind:veryconfu

Rick N Bama
06-12-2007, 11:08 PM
A workbench that well organized is the sign of a sick mind:veryconfu

If I were to post pictures of my bench you guys would feel sorry for me and take up a collection for me[smilie=1:

Rick

454PB
06-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Mine is much like what has been described. I bolted a piece of 3/8" by 6" strap about 30" long on my casting bench. Normally this 8' bench only holds my casting set up and my Star sizer, but if I need extra mounts, the 3/8" plate is drilled and tapped to accept any and all of my reloading presses and sizers. My loading bench is 10' long and built from 2 1/2" tong and groove decking. I've been using that same loading bench for 35 years.

Buckshot
06-13-2007, 02:03 AM
............I have the stuff mounted to T's that fit into the bench, as below:

http://www.fototime.com/902DB7735B7472A/standard.jpg

and...............

http://www.fototime.com/291176B10BFB83D/standard.jpg

If you're going to build a new bench it's a good idea. Very simple to just slide one out and slide in the new tool. If not, then as 44man suggested, get the Thompson Tool mount. It mounts to the top of the bench.

................Buckshot

Sundogg1911
06-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I used to use a piece of 1/2" steel plate mounted to a piece of 3/4" plywood. I drilled and tapped the steel plate to fit my presses (reloading and sizing) I used "C" clamps on the 3/4" plywood to mount it to my tiny utility room workbench. That served me well for a few years untill I bought a house with a nice basement for reloading and built a detached garage with a range hood above the workbench for casting. http://mybulletbarn.com/reloadroom/ Now i'm spoiled, but the steel plate trick worked just fine

RugerFan
06-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I mount all my devices (press, trimmer, powder measure, etc) to blocks of wood and then use big C clamps to secure them to my reloading bench.

threett1
06-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Targetshootr- you are a man after my own heart.:drinks:

targetshootr
06-14-2007, 10:12 PM
The poor boat on the right is full of reloading stuff. I guess I should hose it down one day so it remembers what water feels like.

:drinks:

Duckiller
06-14-2007, 11:23 PM
targetshootr your area is neat. You have room for at least two people to stand at your bench. You can walk directly to it without sneaking past bags and cans of brass and boolits. You are extremely well organized. My older son has given me to the end of the month to clean up my bench. He and his brother want to reload and they don't know where I have hidden everything.

georgeld
06-15-2007, 03:38 AM
My shop is full of cars and used for welding. But, after trying to burn the house down casting inside one winter. I've put the casting stuff in the shop.
But, do my loading and storage in the house. What was once an attached garage, long since remodled into my "den".

The loading is done on a real nice SteelCase office desk I had for the business before I retired and closed it down in 85. Sure don't want to drill holes in that nice desk top.

Since I have a stack of 2'x30" half inch plates I've adopted one of them for the loading presses. Have four presses mounted to it.
1950's Lyman turret on the right, Dillon 450 on the corner, Lee 3hole turret on the side and a little Lee left of that for belling case mouths and sizing bullets. It works fine for two people, or could. I seldom have anyone in there with me since I'm single. but, have a girl friend that likes to load too, so I get her in there to load some of the cast 38's she love's to burn up by the bucket full.

This set up don't take up much space. It's the buckets of brass that does.

I drill and tap the hole's for 1/4" x 20, and mount them from the top. Once the bolts are tight, I turn the plate over and grind the bolts flush with the bottom so they don't mar the desk top. It don't matter how many hole's are drilled in this plate. It's then C clamped to the desk top.

Oh yeah, there's a RCBS measure mounted on their strap mount under a die on the Lyman press.

redbear705
06-15-2007, 08:49 AM

DAM! I hate people who are more organized than I am! :-D

JR

targetshootr
06-15-2007, 09:43 AM
That pic was taken a couple of years ago so I took a new pic this morning of the whole shabang (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/IM004503.jpg). Been thinking about calling one of those HomeMaid services to see if they could do anything to help out a single feller. Then when the time came to look inside the house they'd know what to expect.

:Fire:

TAWILDCATT
06-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Buckshot I have a set up like that but mine was comercial fromBrown yrs ago.its 3/4 plywood mounted on surface.side strips and back about 2" wide in a "u" just maad more plates on router.I guess there about 8"deep by 11" wide. and drop double headed nail in hole in back.I'v got to learn how to post pictures.first I'v got to take them.:coffee: :Fire:

Bigscot
06-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Well I finally got it figured out. Thanks for all the replies. I got piece of 3/8 plate, drilled and tapped holes for 3 different pressed. Seems to have worked out pretty good. Now I just have to mount it to my bench. I am going to try and attach pic of what I did.
Boy I finally got the pics on. Had to crop the hell out them.

BS

buck1
06-16-2007, 01:10 PM
I used a 2x10x30 pine board mounted to my bench. Then I use nuts and bolts to atach anything I have to it. I like the system a lot. ...Buck

Bigscot
06-16-2007, 07:17 PM
They are in my post, 2 above. I did not know I would have to crop the pic's so much.

BS

zipdog
07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
the loading bench[/URL]. [smilie=1:

Except fot the blue stuff, looks exactly like my bench...

Snapping Twig
07-27-2007, 01:33 AM
I have a 5" vise in the center of my bench. Each of my presses and sizers is permanently mounted onto a "T" of 2 X 4, just a small section the size of the base of the press or sizer.

I clamp the vertical piece of 2 X 4 into the vise and I'm good to go.

Imagine 2 pieces of 2 X 4 perhaps 5" long, one on its side and the other flat on top, join them with glue and screws. Mount the press on the flat (top) portion of the "T", insert in vise.

I read about this in the gun rags back in the 80's. This way I don't have to have my reloading bench on display when folks come over. No one has to know.

Bigscot
07-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Twig,

In my shed I have the Lyman lubrisizer mounted on a piece of 4x6 angle iron with the press mounted on the shot leg and the long leg clamped in a big bench vise.
It works great.
I set it up to mount on the plate in case I need to do some sizing in the winter and can take inside.

BS

TAWILDCATT
07-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Buckshot:I have a variation of your setup.mine was a comercial product.I have the name but cant find the co in florida.3 pieces 3/4 ply wood to make the frame and a piece 8" x 11" for the tools.I used a router to make replacement parts.I have pictures but cant seem to post them.I guess I'll have to get a 8yr older to show me how. :coffee: :Fire: :coffee: