PDA

View Full Version : Source for Tin?

dannyabear
06-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Are there any other good sources for Tin other than lead free solder?
Thanks

mazo kid
06-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Do a search for the posts of vp146b4 . He posted on the Casting Equipt forum here on 4-25-07 saying he had tin for $5/pound plus $8 for shipping in Flat Rate box. The shipping has gone up a bit since the postal rate increase, but still a bargain if you want several pounds. Also, try www.midwayusa.com as they have 2# ingots for around $18. Emery

jawjaboy
06-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Do a search for the posts of vp146b4 . He posted on the Casting Equipt forum here on 4-25-07 saying he had tin for $5/pound plus $8 for shipping in Flat Rate box. The shipping has gone up a bit since the postal rate increase, but still a bargain if you want several pounds. Also, try www.midwayusa.com as they have 2# ingots for around $18. Emery

+1

Good price. Good service. Good feller to do bid'ness with.

357maximum
06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Watch your yard/garage sales for pewter candle holders/ plates, etc. cheap source if you are lucky..

Edward429451
06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Pewter? Pewter is a source of tin? I didn't know that. I've joked about melting down my wife's pewter figurines for boolits before. Can you expound a little on tin content in pewter?

Do I gouge out the magicians glass eyes first or just drop the little bugger in the pot? lol.

Whitespider
06-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Yea, I’d like to know about Pewter also. A quick search on the net tells me that Pewter can be up to 15% copper. What does the copper do to bullet alloy? Does it separate out when you smelt it?

Below is from Wikipedia-
Pewter is a metal alloy, traditionally between 85 and 99 percent tin, with the remainder consisting of 1-15 percent copper, acting as a hardener, with the addition of lead for the lower grades of pewter, which have a bluish tint. Traditionally, there were three grades of pewter: fine, for eatingware, with 96-99 percent tin, and 1-4 percent copper; trifle, also for eating and drinking utensils but duller in appearance, with 92 percent tin, 1-6 percent copper, and up to 4 percent lead; and lay or ley metal, not for eating or drinking utensils, which could contain up to 15 percent lead. Modern pewter mixes the tin with copper, antimony, and/or bismuth as opposed to lead.

wiljen
06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
No copper does not separate when smelted and it dramatically raises the temp one must cast at as it freezes very rapidly. Most of the babbits have some small amount of copper as it strengthens lead, much like antimony but it also raises the temp needed to get good bullets considerably.

Felix can probably expand on this as he studied the babbit metals in depth.

vp146b4
06-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Are there any other good sources for Tin other than lead free solder?
Thanks

Dannyabear
Yes, I still have pure tin available at $5/lb plus shipping, yes, the flat rate box is now about $9, but still a good deal. Let me know if your interested.
Bill

357maximum
06-12-2007, 08:37 PM
There are many "types" of pewter, I just make sure my pewter is white and has no gold hue to it and use it as straight tin. I have used pewter from old plates/cups/dishes/candlesticks/artsyfartsy figurines/and older trophies (50's). I just treat it like pure tin once i confirm it is what I want. I pour it into a mold designed to make lead decoy weights that wrap around the decoys neck. I take each one and bend it when cool...if it creaks when I bend it I call it tin and toss it in the tin bucket...if it does not creak I throw it in the 38 wadcutter/fishing sinker bucket....scientific huh?

buck1
06-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I bought some from vp146b4 and am very pleased. ....Buck

Dannyabear
Yes, I still have pure tin available at $5/lb plus shipping, yes, the flat rate box is now about $9, but still a good deal. Let me know if your interested.
Bill

Woodtroll
06-14-2007, 10:00 PM
I also will vouch for vp146b4. A pleasure to do business with (twice)- very easy to work with and great product!

Hard to go wrong with this price or seller. Good luck, Regan

LiquidLead
06-15-2007, 01:57 AM
I purchased some tin from WineMan a couple of months ago. Very pleased doing business with him.

The tin came in a form that was very easy to control the exact amount desired for alloying.

Also, this tin seemed to reproduce during shipment, there was no question about recieving the amount I ordered+. You might want to PM him, if he does not see this post, and you are interested. I don't know if he still has any more of this tin.

A search of 'WineMan' will locate his email for you.

FYI, last week I ran across some 95/5 tin/antimony solder for over $30lb, in a local hardware store !!!