PDA

View Full Version : Easy come, easy go.......

WILCO
11-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Made it out to the Sportsmen's club yesterday and after my range time, I raided the scrap buckets looking for brass. Well samhill! Someone tossed 2 or 3 boxes worth of 30-30 once fired brass! Faster than a redneck with a shiny lure in the fishing department of Walmart, I scooped all that shiny gold into my coat pockets! I was excited! Forget the fact I don't even own a 30-30, shiny brass is shiny brass! After a few minutes of tidying up the backboards and lighting the burn barrels, another club member approached the benches like a stray cat. Slight meandering with his hands in his pockets, watching me and looking around the range blacktop and benches. For a second, I thought this was a board member and was getting ready to present my club I.D. We made some chit chat as he shuffled his way to the benches and scrap buckets. There was something familiar with this fellow though, and I knew it as soon as he looked into the bucket and said "Hey, there's some 30-30 brass in here!" "DAMN!" I thought I'd gotten it all.
I watched as the "Scavenger Bug" drove this fellow deep to the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket with both hands. After a moment or two, he came up content with a few pieces. "Sir?" I asked. "Do you reload for the 30-30?" He answered yes and said it wasn't often he found 30-30 brass, but liked to look for it. As the weight of my newfound horde was dragging my coat collar down upon my shoulders, I asked if he cast for that cartridge? "No" was the reply, but he did shoot cast that he purchases from a fellow member of the club. They come lubed with a GC. "Double Damn!" I thought with a cringe. "Sir." I said again, "Your going to want these." and I proceeded to empty my pockets into his hands. Like it was Christmas morning, he smiled wide and was stuffing his pockets as fast as I could empty mine. We exchanged pleasantries and on the last handful, I noticed a larger cartridge fall from my hand into his. "Oh?" I said, "That's a 30-06, you don't want to mix that in." and snatched it back with a smile. "I don't own a 30-06" I told him, "But shiny brass is shiny brass!"

blademasterii
11-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Sometimes the best thing about owning something is being able to give it away to someone that will love it as much or more than you did. Even if you only owned it for a few minutes. :D

x101airborne
11-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Very kind of you. Gurantee you made a friend and he may find some brass that you use and remember the kindness. That gesture is worth more that if that brass was made of gold.

captaint
11-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Yeah, that guy will probably go out of his way to help you out one of these days. I like to think so, anyway.. Mike

clintsfolly
11-09-2012, 08:41 AM
You got good Karma Coming!! Thanks for the:bigsmyl2: you made my morning Clint

Boerrancher
11-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes shiny brass is shiny brass, and the best part about having pieces of it that you don't use is being able to give it away to some one who can use it. Your generosity will be repaid I am sure. Thank you for doing a good deed.

Best wishes,

Joe

snuffy
11-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Very kind of you. Guarantee you made a friend and he may find some brass that you use and remember the kindness. That gesture is worth more that if that brass was made of gold.

Sometimes the best thing about owning something is being able to give it away to someone that will love it as much or more than you did. Even if you only owned it for a few minutes.

That's called pay it forward. I do it as often as I can. AND it has come back around to me a lot.

Good going wilco, when you least expect it, you will get rewarded.

WILCO
11-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Good going wilco, when you least expect it, you will get rewarded.

Thanks for the kind words Gentlemen. I appreciate it. I felt funny about telling this story, as I didn't want to be tooting my own horn about doing good deeds, but it was just too funny not to. As for being rewarded and good karma, that don't interest me. Like many folks here, I've done my share of paying forward and giving back to others in this world. Also, like many folks, I enjoy it when I can do it freely. :drinks:

Smitty's Retired
11-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Wilco, the good part is.......he will remember this and possibly pay it forward to someone else when he finds some shiney brass that he possibly can't use.

starmac
11-09-2012, 09:39 PM
What I don't understand is YOU DON'T OWN A 30/30. That there is pert near unamerican.lol

It sounds like you made a friend and it didn't cost you anything either.

Az Rick
11-09-2012, 09:57 PM
There is nothing that feels better than making someones day. You certainly made his but your generosity and kindness made mine too.

Good on you.

Best, Rick

Blacksmith
11-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Wilco

That guy just saved you a lot of money. That brass would have just worked on you until you bought a gun, dies, several molds, gas checks, powders, primers the list goes on.

WILCO
11-09-2012, 10:40 PM
What I don't understand is YOU DON'T OWN A 30/30. That there is pert near unamerican.lol

Many many moons ago, I did. It's now on the "Never should have sold it!" list. :mrgreen:

WILCO
11-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Wilco

That guy just saved you a lot of money. That brass would have just worked on you until you bought a gun, dies, several molds, gas checks, powders, primers the list goes on.

Yeah, I agree. One of these days I'll get another 30-30 or learn to turn that brass into .410 shot shells. I've got one of those for the giant dust bunnies running amuck in sector 5! [smilie=w:

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-09-2012, 10:45 PM

It sounds like you made a friend and it didn't cost you anything either.

did you catch were he said he didn't own an 30-06 either , now that's un-American

next thing he is going to say is he only shoots metric calibers or something crazy like that

Wilco your going to need to make a purchase or two and get some classic American steel in classic American cartridges

you could redeem your self and tell us you have a 45/70 a 45lc , and a 35 Remington

WILCO
11-09-2012, 10:48 PM
you could redeem your self and tell us you have a 45/70 a 45lc , and a 35 Remington

No redemption here Pete, but I do have some 35 Rem brass laying around......

wv109323
11-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Same story but a little shorter. I arrived at the range and picked up 75-100 rounds of .223 and put it in the trunk. A fellow shooter came along and we began to talk. He said that he was looking for .223. I opened my trunk and gave him all that I had picked up.
He was surprised and happy.

nvbirdman
11-10-2012, 12:52 AM
A friend of mine recently sold his 30-30 and gave me his stash of empty brass.
I had to cast, size and gascheck 300 boolits, then size and prime 300 cases. Now I have to go out and buy a pound of powder. I think I'll wrap everything up and give it to myself for Christmas.

WILCO
11-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I think I'll wrap everything up and give it to myself for Christmas.

Self given gifts are always the best!

Silvercreek Farmer
11-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Saved on shipping!

gnoahhh
11-11-2012, 02:51 PM
You know, it's that spirit of helpfulness and kindness amongst people that will get us all through these hard-ish times amid political turmoil and what-not. Good on you.