PDA

View Full Version : What twist ??

Johnch
07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I am in the planing stage for a 30 cal cast bullet BA rifle.
I plan on using a Mauser action and chamber it in 300 Savage , but may end up as a 308 .
I plan on launching 150-200 gr bullets
I plan on runniing 1600-1800fps with a Lee 180 gr mold I have to start.
My gunsmith says he can get barrels for my Mauser action in 1-10 and 1-12 at a good price .

Witch twist would you guys recomend ??
What barrel length 20" ,22" or 24" ?
I was thinking to be different , like a 21.5" barrel
I have no plans on formal target shooting , just fun stuff

I plan on it being built this fall after the hunting rush.

Any sujestions ?

Johnch

Scrounger
07-21-2005, 08:46 PM
I am in the planing stage for a 30 cal cast bullet BA rifle.
I plan on using a Mauser action and chamber it in 300 Savage , but may end up as a 308 .
I plan on launching 150-200 gr bullets
I plan on runniing 1600-1800fps with a Lee 180 gr mold I have to start.
My gunsmith says he can get barrels for my Mauser action in 1-10 and 1-12 at a good price .

Witch twist would you guys recomend ??
What barrel length 20" ,22" or 24" ?
I was thinking to be different , like a 21.5" barrel
I have no plans on formal target shooting , just fun stuff

I plan on it being built this fall after the hunting rush.

Any sujestions ?

Johnch

If this is to be cast bullet only, from the bench, this is my choice: Heavy barrel, longest twist possible in caliber. For .308, that would mean 12 or 14 inch twist. And a short barrel, 18 inches, to minimize barrel time. An interesting quirk might be to chamber it for the .300 Savage and use .308 brass so you get a long neck. Your gunsmith would have to fiddle with the chamber.

Frank46
07-23-2005, 05:00 AM
Johnch, just a suggestion but why don't you get one of the new surplus 1919a4 machine gun bbls?. They are about 23-24" long and in 7.62 nato. The threads won't fit
your mauser but even after rethreading should still give you about 21" bbl length. They are about 1 1/4" in diameter and if you check small arms review magazine should cost about $50 tops. Some were made in Israel and some in the U.S. I have two and as far as I can tell are mint in condition. As far as the twist is concerned you could use either 1 in 10" or 1 in 12". I would not go any slower. I shoot lymans 314299 out of my model 27 moisin nagant, and some of the CBA shooters use the same bullet in the springfield. The bbls are parkerized and if bucks are tight you could leave the bbl finish as is. I have a model 54 winchester action made in 1928 that was origionally chambered for the gool old 30-30. Hopefully one of these days one of those bbls will be fitted to that action. I bought it about 20 years ago from a dealer in brooklyn new york for $75 bucks. The bore looked like the inside of a coalmine but shot pretty good.
Only thing the copper fouling was a real bear to remove. One of those rainy day projects that somehow I never got the time to do. Best of luck on your project. Frank