PDA

View Full Version : marlin 512 and the key drive slug

Buttonbuck
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
anyone shoot a marlin 512, wondering what key drive slug loads work good for this gun? I tried some loads from herco reduced down to 31, 32, and 32.5 no really good groups. I am about out of herco......so may try a new pound of powder? I would hope these loads fall in with info that comes with the key drive mold? I know the ROT on this gun is 1 in 28 so I am thinking that I made the loads too hot? My buddies 870 shoots 32 gr of Herco with the slugs like a dream. his ROT is 1 in 34. I am sort of thinking how a muzzleloader with a fast ROT will shoot round balls well with a light load. I also sort am looking for something that is just fun to shoot slug guns are brutal after 10-15 rounds.

SuperBlazingSabots
11-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Hello ButtonBuck, the mold comes with the loading data but some of the loads are very Hot!!!!

Your choices are BlueDot 40 to 44 gr range,
Hs-6 is good from 30 to 34 gr range ( most shooters stop around 33 due to bad recoil,
WSF powder is good 30 to 32 gr,
Herco should have been good 32 to 34 gr range.
H. Universal Clays & 4756 are good powder too.

Your problem could very well be the wad and not putting the 16 ga nitro card below the slug in wad, certain wads need a 20 gauge nitro card instead of 20 gauge.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Leesluginwad.jpg
All the loads mentioned above will be good hunting loads for deer upto 70 yards.
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Buttonbuck
11-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I put a punched out milk carton (like circle fly) under the slug. I was keeping the shots on a 12X18 target. I was trying to position the slug 7/16" below the fold. I used the winchester white wads. and the AA hulls using the winchester primers.

TRG3
11-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Buttonbuck...While I don't have any experience with the Marlin 512, I do have some with Herco and slugs in my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. In this heavy barrel shotgun, I used 34 grains of Herco with both the one ounce Lee Key Drive slug and the Lyman 525 sabot, getting around 3" groups at 50 yards with new Fiocchi 2 3/4" hulls, an over-powder card following the load of Herco, and then a Federal S3 wad with a .125" 20 gauge hardcard in the inside of the wad on which the slug rested. I also roll crimped for ease in determining slugs from shot. My best performer, however, was the .690 roundball with 27 grains of Herco with the hull loaded just like for the Lee and Lyman. This proved to shoot into about 1" at 50 yards, gave a mild recoil, and took two deer last season. I'll be loading a few of these up this weekend for the upcoming Illinois firearm season which starts this coming Friday. A word of caution in using the roundball for deer hunting: Be sure to follow up on any shot for at least 100 yards. My experience in using the roundball in both my flintlocks and shotgun is that, while they are deadly, they don't always result in an immediate blood trail like a bullet does. I've tracked deer in the snow that didn't bleed until I turned them over some 100 yards away even though they were shot in the chest broadside.

As you search this website, you'll find a great deal of experience on which to draw in determining which direction to go in developing your slug load(s). After you have found the sweet spot for your shotgun, be sure to share it with us.

Buttonbuck
11-10-2012, 06:49 PM
my friends 870 loves this slug, I cast for his 870, it has a 1 in 34ROT I load 32 grain herco, using the data that came with my mold. I will try up to 34 gr, I had done this with my smoothbore and friends rifled 870 and found 32 most accurate, starting at 28 going up to 34 grains by .5 gr. I know it is in this slug and gun. I have seen your post on the round ball and I just about ordered a lee mold. I did bore sight the gun today properly and will hope to get her on paper. My brother buys all the cool toys. I will start again at 31 and go up to 34 gr by .5 increments. I still hit plates with my 870 smoothbore at 100, most of my shots are in the timber and under 50 yards. For now this week I have to try to get out with my bow and fill the freezer before I go for Illinois Firearm season.

TRG3
11-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Buttonbuck...Today was my 20th trip to various deer woods. I keep a count of various data for the DNR and to date I've spent 44 hours in the deer stand where I've seen 89 deer, 56 squirrels, and 36 turkeys. Of those deer, probably 10 were bucks with visible antlers. Of the bucks I've seen, one was a 10 pointer about 17" wide and medium mass and one was an eight pointer with a similar set of head gear. Both were within 40 yards and I watched them through my scoped crossbow for several minutes before deciding that they were not shooter bucks. I've learned over the years that the first impression concerning whether to shoot a buck or not is, in all liklihood, the correct one. Ground shrinkage really sets in on marginal bucks! I'll be heading out before church tomorrow morning, looking for a shooter buck or a lone doe (I've been passing on does with little ones) for the freezer, trying to beat the cold rainy weather that is due Sunday evening. Best of luck in developing that deer load. I've got a thick folder full of slug loading data from copying the experiences of members on this forum. If all else fails, I've had good luck with the Federal Tru-Ball commercial loads in both rifled and smoothbores.

Buttonbuck
11-11-2012, 08:44 AM
So you do not have problems leading with the slugs intended for smoothbore slug guns. I wanted to go but the wind is gusting up to 40 all day. I need to sneak out for an hour before the slugs fly. I was out last Sunday I saw probably a total of 8 does but as many bucks one was a decent 8pt. at times I had 3 from a bachelor herd under my stand. THere was a fork that had awesome mass but was still young so give him a couple years. I may try those federals or keep with sluggers if they do not lead my barrel until I get a load.

TRG3
11-11-2012, 11:59 AM
With the plastic sleeve of the wad between the slug/roundball and the barrel, whether rifled or smooth, there is no leading. I do get plastic streaks, however, that come out with a little scrubbing and appropriate dissolving solution. I didn't make it out this morning, having one of those middle-of-the-night-2-hour-wakeups that just ruins getting up in a couple of more hours. I'll try it this afternoon after heading to some favorite pecan trees to pick up nuts for later cracking. Picked up 5 five-gallon buckets full last year and this year looks even better!

OnHoPr
11-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Buttonbuck...Today was my 20th trip to various deer woods. I keep a count of various data for the DNR and to date I've spent 44 hours in the deer stand where I've seen 89 deer, 56 squirrels, and 36 turkeys. Of those deer, probably 10 were bucks with visible antlers. Of the bucks I've seen, one was a 10 pointer about 17" wide and medium mass and one was an eight pointer with a similar set of head gear. Both were within 40 yards and I watched them through my scoped crossbow for several minutes before deciding that they were not shooter bucks. I've learned over the years that the first impression concerning whether to shoot a buck or not is, in all liklihood, the correct one. Ground shrinkage really sets in on marginal bucks! I'll be heading out before church tomorrow morning, looking for a shooter buck or a lone doe (I've been passing on does with little ones) for the freezer, trying to beat the cold rainy weather that is due Sunday evening. Best of luck in developing that deer load. I've got a thick folder full of slug loading data from copying the experiences of members on this forum. If all else fails, I've had good luck with the Federal Tru-Ball commercial loads in both rifled and smoothbores.

For me, I will not see 89 deer. I have lots of things to do. The first three mature deer I see are getting shot if they are within range and present me with a shot and are harvested.:bigsmyl2:

Buttonbuck
11-11-2012, 01:04 PM
TRG sorry to hear that. I was sick on Monday after dragging a doe down a creek, second this year. Grandpa got sick this week and we have the gale force winds so no hunting today. I was wondering about the leading by just using the pure lead slugs intended for smoothbores like remington "sluggers" or the federal slugs you mentioned. I really hate bench shooting these guns much perfer a seated position using my elbows to my knees like how shoot. from a tree stand. I have one of the monopods I intend to try when I sight in. For Deer the second night I hunted I saw at least a dozen and that is more than I saw last year but harvested 4 last year.

TRG3
11-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Buttonbuck...Spent this afternoon holding on to the ladder stand as the wind was howling! The same small buck and doe/yearling combo passed slowly at 60 yards. Then vacated the house as a bag of Boy Scout popcorn caught fire in the microwave and smoked up the house! Watched the Bears and Texans play in the rain while viewing them through a haze in the living room. Anyway...concerning those slugs...since most deer are taken in the woods here in the Midwest at 50 yards or so, if you can get those slugs to print in a 3-4" group at 50 yards, I'd settle for that at this late date since the firearm season comes in this Friday. Save the tinkering with the load for later when you have more time and are not rushed. Counting the Illinois mid-January doe season, we've still got a couple of months to gun hunt interspersed with bow hunting. Throw in rabbits, quail, squirrel, etc. there's hardly time to work. Thank goodness I'm retired or I'd never keep up! Best of luck in working up that load and taking a deer or two with it.

Buttonbuck
11-12-2012, 08:43 PM
went for an hour tonight and saw 8 does, 2 bucks 1 button buck. No shots I let the button buck walk and run off the does I was interested in so I can hunt the area again on Wednesday. I shoot better with the sluggers I have left for the smoothbore but will keep working on this. I have time this week to get the black powder guns 54cal renegade and the 62cal renegade dialed up for the second season and muzzleloader season. I may try to cast If I get some time so I can do some range work. I will keep everyone posted on progress.

TRG3
11-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Buttonbuck...Loaded up some .690 roundballs with my standard 27 grains of Herco and will head to the range tomorrow to make sure that the USH is still sighted in from last season. I might even take a .50 and/or .58 flintlock, depending on time available. Took my first deer of the season this morning, a lone doe with my crossbow and Swacker broadhead. She only went about 50 yards and I was able to drive to within about that same distance from her. I can still load does by myself, but a buck of any size requires a little help. This evening's temps in the upper 20s should hold her for a while. I'll probably butcher Thursday on the kitchen table. My wife and I can cut and wrap a deer in about 45 minutes since everything becomes a roast, later to be thawed and sliced into steaks if so desired. Now that I've got meat, I'll wait for a nice buck for the first two days of the upcoming gun season, taking a doe on Sunday for making jerky if all goes as planned. Weatherwise, Southern Illinois is supposed to be great with lows in the upper 20s and highs around 50 with no rain. Can't beat that! I'll be in my 10' stand (deer don't seem to see or smell me in this stand which is backed up by a big oak tree) with adequate clothes, coffee, and sandwiches for an all-day sitter, if need be...and ,oh yeah, something to read so that deer can slip in on me as has happened twice already during bow season! Best of luck this weekend!

Buttonbuck
11-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Good luck, we do our deer the same way roasts last longer in the freezer. We hang our deer legs in "the meat fridge" for a week or 2 the backstraps are kept in a tupperware container to age. I hope to harvest enough to make jerky. with 3 kids to feed and using brined and smoked deer meat sliced on a slicer as lunch meat we eat a bunch. I think I will be ordering a mold in 69 cal after I slug the bore on my guns. I know it will work on the 870 smoothbore. it is funny that 27 grains is 3/4 of the max load for the key drive. Not making any statement of a rule or guideline just funny through my novice eyes. I was told by a person at Graffs to start at 80% of max load and work my way up to accuracy. I go less than that when working up a load for the sidelock muzzleloaders.

TRG3
11-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Buttonbuck...A couple of years ago, I picked up a case of 12 gauge slugs for less than 50 cents each made by Baschiere and Pellagri. The velocity on the 10-pack boxes says "1200 FPS". At 50 yards, these shoot into a 2" group out of my H&R USH with recoil that is very similar to the 27 grains of Herco I use with the .690 roundball. This is the only thing I have to use in judging the velocity of my roundball load. In the area that I plan to hunt this weekend, my longest shot should be 80 yards across a food plot and more than likely it will be less than 50 yards out of my 10' stand. I really didn't spend a lot of time developing a .690 roundball load since the 27 grains of Herco shot so accurately. With a couple of months of scattered weekend shotgun deer seasons, I might mold up some more roundballs and slowly work up a few more grains. This would not increase my accuracy, but might extend my range. Having gone 22 times to date with my crossbow/longbow, I'm a little "deered out", if you know what I mean, and am looking forward to just relaxing in the deer stand, already having one hanging in the garage. By-the-way, I'll be starting on making jerky (sliced) in about an hour since everyone expects me to furnish such at our Thanskgiving gathering. A crowd of around 15 will wipe out half a deer as we sit around watching football and catching up on family news after the meal. Best of luck this weekend!

TRG3
11-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Buttonbuck...After sitting two full days in various deer stands, I have yet to fire a shot with my .690 roundball loads. I've seen 34 deer in those two days with only five being bucks. Of those bucks, one was a spike, three were basket-rack six and eight pointers, and one was a massive 10-pointer...except that was the case only on one side, the other being a club of sorts. Only the spike and one of the basket-rack bucks were close enough to shoot along. I did see an immature bald eagle and a mainly black fox squirrel, also. My son only hunts with a S&W .44 mag revolver. Again this year, after spending only an hour in the woods, he dropped a fair eight-pointer (medium mass, 17" inside spread) at a distance of 75-80 yards, hitting him two of three shots. On two occasions, I've seen him drop running deer at 50+ yards with his handgun as well as taking other deer over the past 10 years with his .44 mag. His handgun skills come from his mother's genes! I require a rest for my T/C Contender .44 mag with a red dot, then I'm good up to 100 yards. I'll head out tomorrow (Sunday) morning and stay until time to return for church. I've been waiting for a decent buck, but may take a doe for the freezer. Have you popped any caps on whitetails?

Buttonbuck
11-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I let a fork-six point walk they are fun to watch at 5 feet from the stand on Friday he was sniffing around the beds of 2 does that ran off when I was heading out. I saw nothing else that morning, saturday afternoon, and Sunday evening. I did however take a nice doe who broke cover from a 2 acre thicket of Autumn Olive. She trotted out I made a doe bleet and she stopped in enough time to shoot her. I am looking forward to this being from one of my slugs but......I am going to cast this weekend with a buddy and reload probably 50 shells. Most will go to his 870 with 32 grains of herco. I did get a good load worked up for the renegade. 80 grains of goex with a cast 530 and pillow ticking shoots flat out to 50. It shoots 4" high at 50 with a wonder wad the grouping is nearly identical. I will be trying the wonder wad group at 100 yards and see if it hits dead on at 25 and 100.

TRG3
11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
The USH is a bear to pull up on my haul-rope, so Sunday morning I took my T/C Contender in .44 mag and took a nice doe at 80 yards. I had her home and skinned out in time to make church. She's already in the freezer. To date, I have learned a couple of things this season, those being (1) deer are not concerned with me taking a dump or leak around my stand. I've had numerous deer come within 5-50 yards of my stand after doing so and (2) a product called "Scent Killer" seems to be a curiosity to deer. I spray it on my boots before leaving the truck. On at least three occasions, I've had deer (mainly does and small bucks) trail me to within shooting distance after they crossed my path somewhere between the truck and my stand. I never did have any luck dragging a rag soaked in deer lure, but something in the Scent Killer catches their interest. While waiting for the next shotgun deer weekend, I'll spend my time chasing them with my crossbow and, if it ever rains to put down a little moisture, taking my two beagles after rabbits.

SuperBlazingSabots
11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Good morning TRG-3, we learn every day, good observation helps, next all hunters should be trying the cheapest trick of the trade, you said:

1, Take a leak around our stand!
2, "Scent Killer" seems to be a curiosity to deer. I spray it on my boots before leaving the truck.

I really enjoyed, smiled and laughed while reading your comments, perhaps you could try my trick too,

go buy yourself Peppermint candy from a Candy store and crush it and sprinkle around your stand, or sprinkle around a day before to attract them as they
to want to freshen their bad breath! They do enjoy licking the Mint candy!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Lets count our Blessings and be thankful!
Regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl

TRG3
11-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Ajay...With Christmas coming on and peppermint candy more readily available, I'll be incorporating this idea in my bag of tricks! Along those same lines, and since bad breath is a concern of all deer during the rut, I've thought about setting out a bowl of Listerine near my stand, but don't know if our hooved friends know how to gargle. Anyone had any observations watching deer gargle? While I don't mind drilling one with my USH, I sure would hate to create the demise of a nice 10-pointer through Listerine "baiting" since the Illinois DNR does not cover personal hygiene in its regulations on allowable hunting techniques.

Buttonbuck
11-24-2012, 07:54 AM
I sometimes leave my hunting clothes in the barn with the goats since the bucks are waiting for the doe "goats" to go into season it gets pretty rank the smell will even taint the milk having bucks close to milking does. We are downsizing the herd once the new does are bred. Casting will have to happen on Sunday

richhodg66
11-24-2012, 10:42 AM
I'll have to try the pepermint candy, I knew a very successful bowhunter who swore that spitting his Wintergreen Copehagen at the base of his tree stand attracted them. He had a lot of nice bucks to his credit so maybe he was onto something, but I can't stand that stuff.

Hate to change topic, but what are you using for scoping that 512? I have a 512 and am not real happy with the Weaver side mount that seems to be the only option. Truthfully, I've about given up on it, a cheap inline muzzle loader is legal equipment in our shotgun only areas and is a lot cheaper and easier to get decent accuracy from.

Buttonbuck
11-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I put a $20.00 Barska 3x9x40 30/30 rifle scope on the weaver side mount the only game in town really. I am considering just getting a fiberoptic front sight and a skinner barrel mounted peep sight. I guess the the other option I have for a red dot is a millet 1" red dot. I bore sighted this gun a couple weeks back and now have to reload look to see where it groups. I hunt some public ground that is shotgun only where some of my shots may be over 50 -75 yards and the smoothbore 870 will be iffy past 75. I had read good things bout 512's it will just have to wait till next year really I would like to shoot at 100 with the peep sight.

TRG3
11-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Buttonbuck...These 70 year old eyes can still shoot peep sights, but open sights are blurry. I'm in a quandry as to what to do about that with my flintlocks. I've got a T/C .50 Hawken with their tang peep sight that works fine, but I'd rather shoot deer with one of my flintlocks. I'll have to get with some of the area traditional gunsmiths and see what they recommend. I'm sure it won't be a 'scope!! Maybe something more like a full buckhorn. With this Thursday bringing in the second Illinois firearm weekend, it will be time to head to the deer woods again. I already know that I need to move two ladder stands and take down two hang-ons since a hang-on I took down last week, because of logging, had the support chain fall off of it when I removed the ratchet strap I had on there as a back-up! The stand had been up around 5 years and I was more concerned with the cables possibly rusting, but instead the pressure of the growing tree on the chain popped off one of the chain's attachment spots on the stand. That ratchet strap saved me from a 16' fall and probable injury. The stand in question came from Walmart and cost around $39 at the time. If you've got any hang-on stands, please check them at the point(s) where the chain and/or ratchet strap attaches to the stand since the growing tree can slowly pry those spots loose. My food plot contains a lot of turnips, which the deer have been slow to utilize; however, I understand that with our recent nightly freezes, the starch in the turnips turns to sugar and become more desirable. With a good south wind and a big turnip patch in front of me, it seems that all I'll have to do is wait long enough and it will surely pay off. After all, there's a big buck behind every tree in Illinois...at least that's the way area outfitter websites read! I'd say that's probably true...as long as the Illinois trees are sequoias or mesquite!!

SuperBlazingSabots
11-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Good morning TRG-3, I enjoyed reading your comments, great information!
How about helping us with a picture of your stand and the link to $39 Walmart item!
Now we know
" That's why they say Old is Gold "
I'm right there behind you, just about to turn into G o l d !!!!
Regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com

Buttonbuck
11-26-2012, 08:44 PM
I have all ladder stands accept for one that a friend put up but he moves his every year. Food plots are great I intend to put in one at my oldest hunting spot. I need to rebuild my tiller and of course cut down and grub out the Autumn Olive. I have used the peep sights on a TC renegade that I had Bob Hoyt bore out and rifle in 62 cal. Anyway I need to get the reloads done asap but not likely I will be using them this January Who knows.

TRG3
11-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Buttonbuck...My ladino clover doesn't look very good, but I learned that clover will typically look much better in the following spring, so I'll just have to wait. In the meantime, I learned that clover is typically sown in February and it works its way into the soil as the ground freezes and thaws. Also...the autumn olive you mentioned has small orange berries in the fall which I used to make jelly/jam as per directions noted in one of last year's issues of Illinois Outdoor News. I moved a ladder stand today to replace a hang-on that has taken many deer over the last 5-6 years. I needed to move another one, but with only one hour of daylight left, I decided to do so after the upcoming firearm deer season weekend. It always seems like there's lots of time to get something done...and then Wham! it's upon you! After this weekend, then there's the three-day muzzleloading season with more bow season on the other days through mid-January. Still waiting for a rain to help my beagles run a few bunnies. I've even toyed with the idea of picking up a USH in 20 gauge since I read so much good about them. Another scope...more molds...more wads... So much to hunt and tinker with. Thank goodness I'm retired!

TRG3
12-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Buttonbuck...I hope your second Illinois firearm deer season was more productive than mine. I hunted three of the four days and only saw seven deer, none close enough to even consider shooting. Those unused tags will now go to the late winter doe season. I'll be out there this next weekend for the muzzleloading season. I did see a real nice 20" wide 12-pointer via another person's cell phone photo that was taken less than 200 yards from my stand. It was shot by a young woman who was on her first hunt ever at this site, having only taken a doe in the past at another location. That was the second largest deer I'd ever seen in the 16 years that I've been hunting this area, making around 30 trips annually including both bow and gun. That's a bunch of times for beginner's luck to win out over persistence! With the warm weather, it's time to get a muzzleloader or two sighted in and some outside work done! I did notice something unusual during this season and that was that the wildlife worked together to locate and announce my presence in the deer woods. There was none of this during the bow season while I was in full camo, but the blaze orange made me a standout. The blue jays started it off and were soon joined by robins and some small dickey birds, all of which got within 10' of me and sounded off for 15-20 minutes. They were soon followed by tree squirrels that began barking and twitching their tails. In fact, at one point their sounding off was a distinct ...---..., the international Morris code for SOS!! The bottom line is that it worked, keeping deer away from my location. I'm considering working on a new product that, when sprayed on your flo orange, that would make it invisible to wildlife but still effective to the human eye. I suspect that it would sell for $19.95 with a second bottle included for only separate shipping and handling. By-the-way, how did your season go?

Buttonbuck
12-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Saw a deer at 150 yds friday on neighbors property, Friday PM saw doe run in front of neighbors truck she was not hit. Saturday Am did not hunt Saturday I had a button buck run out of the brush I saw no antlers and had a doe tag so when he was in the brush I shot through a gap at 40 yards for a heart shot, I felt like a failure for shooting a BB but the does in the distance were not coming in I feel like I could have waited but it was a clean kill. Sunday I went in the morning and saw nothing, I hiked around the public area and kicked out 2 does but had no clear shot. I am going next weekend with my 54 cal renegade, I really want to get my 62 cal renegade (bored out 1 in 66 bob hoyt barrel) dialed up. I did cast some slugs this morning having some issue with my Lee pot it will not get over 750 degrees.

TRG3
12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Buttonbuck...I'm letting the Illinois muzzleloading season die with a whimper since the rain with colder weather is supposed to start after lunch today. I hunted two days and finally saw a doe and a couple of yearlings. I guess my next opportunity to fill tags will be the late season in the waining days of this month and mid-January. There are about a half-dozen of us that drive deer on ground that is not available during the regular deer season since it's does-only in the remaining two weekends of deer season. In the meantime, I'm way overdue in taking my two beagles out for some bunny chasing. I'll have to hunt on public land since most of my old private ground spots are either leased out for deer hunting or outfitters have it tied up. There are at least five outfitters in our county alone. It amazes me that out-of-state guys will plunk down $500-$1,000 a day for a five-day hunt in a stand that has been occupied day after day by someone else for the past month or two through an outfitter that is running 20+ hunters/week and they expect to kill an "Illinois giant"! Yes, the big ones are out there but I understand that some outfitters didn't take any bucks during the 2011 season and some of those that did had to put an extra fee on guys who took bucks that were too small. Whitetail deer hunting has really put the hurt on small game hunting since there's limited access to the land and I have to use shock collars on my beagles since they want to run deer. Were you successful in bagging anything?

TRG3
12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Buttonbuck...Glad I stayed home yesterday. That 1/2" of rain that was predicted ended up being 2 1/2", not good hunting weather. I've been caught out in downpours before with deer out in front of me. In my experience, deer just bed down and wait for the heavy rain to pass, thus reducing their movement to nill. I've got a smoothbore 12 gauge Rem 870 that I may set up for driving deer. I'll need to attach the 4X scope via a side mount and change the turkey choke to the rifled choke. While I haven't used this shotgun for a couple of years for deer hunting, in the past it has been used to bag several does during the late seasons that are coming up. It's very reliable out to 50-60 yards and off a bench will shoot a 3" group at 50 yards with almost any ammo which is better that I can hold off-hand. From here on out, most venison hams will be smoked, back straps will become jerky, and front shoulders will be passed on to others. Of course, sliced tenderloins will be fried in olive oil, then sliced onions and peppers will added at the end of the cooking session. This can be eaten as is or placed on a bed of rice. Any left-over chunks of venison (neck, flank, ribs, etc.) when butchering will be cubed, fried, and added to a can of mushroom soup, all of which will be scouped onto a bowl of rice or the meat could be popped into the crockpot for 6 hours on high with a jar of pepperroncinis and a powdered packet of zesty Italian salad dressing, which makes great sandwiches (The only time we buy commercial beef is for hamburger). Well, all of this has made me hungry and looking forward to the remaining gun seasons. I may even take my .22 or .17 Mach2 after those squirrels that made it their responsibility to point out the guy in flo orange during this fall's deer seasons. Oven baked squirrel is a great way to do those older ones that are not edible when fried. Yesterday's 58 degrees is this morning's 32 degrees and snow is coming across southern Missouri and headed our way, at least on the radar. Time to pour another cup of coffee, gaze at the Christmas tree, and wonder where the years have gone.

SuperBlazingSabots
12-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Hello TRG-3, you keep mentioning mouth watering recipe's and keep giving us an excuse to come and visit you for all those wonderful recipe's!
You enjoy life as a Prince, I can see that!

Regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com

Buttonbuck
12-12-2012, 09:52 PM
muzzle loading was a bust I saw nothing had shots around me but saw nothing. I need to put a food plot at this 11 acres I hunt. The trails, tracks and scat are plentiful just do not see deer in the day. I am bowhunting this weekend and trying to fill tags. 2 bow one muzzleloader one firearm. We do not eat beef, deer, mostly but culled goats from our herd and bottle lambs my neighbor gives us. considering getting a couple runs of 25 meat birds if corn ever goes down or can pasture raise them. Just need to get to hunting.