PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 oz 12 bore loads and Vista

woody1
06-12-2007, 11:10 AM
This is a rant...to those of you who've requested a copy of the 3/4 oz 12 gauge article I offered, I'll be happy to send it but need your snail mail address. I recently upgraded to Vista (NOT). This is a suggestion that you don't unless you're really a conputer 'spurt. Nothing ,and I mean nothing, that I had previously works with Vista. At least not correctly or the same. My printer/scanner/copier will print after a fashion. The scanner part flat won't, the printer will print but not with nearly as many options, and the copier will copy sorta. NONE of the previous programs I had will work with Vista without more fritzin' around than I'm ovbiously capable of. Previous downloads and files that I had have been a major headache and some after two months still don't work or cannot be opened. Vista has been a total nightmare for me. If I had it to do over again I would not and would have spent the money to merely add memory to my old and outdated WIndows XP. End of rant (for now).

Scanner won't scan, will copy and mail the 12 bore article. Need your name/addy. Regards, Woody

felix
06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
It is time, folks, to start migrating to Unix, one of many versions which is compatible with what you are used to when using a Microsoft product. Unix user software products tend to run under any version of Unix without hiccup. Yes, these software products have different appearances and will require some getting used to, even though the application is identical in results to what the user typically demands. ... felix

andrew375
06-13-2007, 08:18 AM
It is time, folks, to start migrating to Unix, one of many versions which is compatible with what you are used to when using a Microsoft product. Unix user software products tend to run under any version of Unix without hiccup. Yes, these software products have different appearances and will require some getting used to, even though the application is identical in results to what the user typically demands. ... felix

Don't you mean Linux? The user friendly UNIX.

I use Novell's version, Open SUSE (http://www.opensuse.org/), but I've been hearing good reports about Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com). If you don't want the hassle of downloading and burning CDs then most of the distros are included on the free discs on the cover of computer mags. Linux can be installed either as a fresh install or dual boot or even run from a live CD.

Linux distros are packaged with a full suite of software packages, including plenty of games.:drinks:

felix
06-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Correct. Linux is a subset of Unix for the Intel desktop computers that typically use Microsoft stuff. There are many flavors of Linux that are appropriate for what 90 percent of us do on these desktops, and prolly some notepads too. However, there are some Microsoft programs that will not run under any version of Unix or Linux. These need to be researched before installing a particular flavor. The tradeoff is much more performance in favor of Unix/Linux and almost zero problems with the outside world playing havoc with your computer (viruses, etc). The downside is that you have to look for commensurate programs, should you not desire to create a dual-boot system. ... felix

KCSO
06-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Unfortunatly I work for an outfit that gets our bullet proof vests LOW BID. If Vista is what comes on the cheapest coputer than Vista is what I have to learn. It's not so bad it only took 3 days of downloading patches to get most of my stuff up and running and I only have to cancel out 3 or 4 messages for the programs that don't have patches yet. Vista=Bu!!$h!t