PDA

View Full Version : 209 to rifle primer adapter

Shooter
11-08-2012, 04:19 PM
I hear rifle primers are more accurate.
Thinking about turning down brass cases to fit the 209 holder in my Encore.
Anyone done this?

oldracer
11-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Although my gun that uses those is NOT an Encore, it does have a vent hole in the chamber area to relieve excess pressure. The builder of the gun said it was mandatory and I have been very happy with the BP combustion. I recently bought a Pedersoli Tryon and when I ordered a couple of parts from VTI Gun Parts (Pedersoli distributor) I asked if I could do a conversion as you are asking. The folks there said they did not know and have emailed the factory in Italy (nice I thought) asking about this and said I should get an answer by tomorrow. I am concerned about high pressures due to the much hotter spark and if I'd need a vent. I'll post my answer as soon as I get it, just hope it is in English.............

skullmount
11-08-2012, 07:30 PM
What powder are you trying to ignite ??

I cut a breechplug to take a 25 acp case for a primer. Look here, page 5 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=136533

The small pistol primer is plenty to light off the swiss and old dupont black powders I have tried in the .315

Shooter
11-09-2012, 08:47 AM
What powder are you trying to ignite ??

I cut a breechplug to take a 25 acp case for a primer. Look here, page 5 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=136533

The small pistol primer is plenty to light off the swiss and old dupont black powders I have tried in the .315

I want to use 777 pellets.
I can get a breech plug and adapters for $60, but was hoping to use surplus brass to make something to fit the breach plug I have without modifying it.

I have small chunks of money tied up in too many items that didn't work out.

curator
11-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Shooter,

Check out the "Vari-flame" primer adapter. It may be just what you are looking for.
http://www.muzzleloadingbullets.com/variflame_primer_adapter.html
They also have an adapter specifically for the T/C muzzle loaders. They are also good people to do business with. Lots of good information on their website.

Shooter
11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks Curator.
That looks good. I had read their web site but missed the adapter.

Steelbanger
11-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Many the shotshell primer I have dropped, in the dark, from a treestand. How should I expect to hold onto and orient correctly a 210 rifle primer? Or are these pre-loaded in a removable breech plug or similar?

grullaguy
11-09-2012, 12:02 PM
I tried the MagSpark adapter on my CVA Hawken. It was nice not having cap residue down the side of my rifle, but I could only fit 209s in the adaptor with the hammer at full cock which I did not care for. After about 300 shots the threads began binding on the removable firing pin portion and the whole assembly would thread out of the drum when I wanted to change primers.

I am back shooting caps now. If I want to shoot the harder to ignite substitutes, I use a black powder kicker charge. One more step during loading, but less hassle (for me) in the long run.

Sorry, I did not notice that you were looking for inline accessories.
This is good info for traditional shooters though.

oldracer
11-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Well I heard back from Pedersoli this morning and they said no problem with switching from #11s to the #209s in any of their rifles. I asked about pressure issues and they said they had not seen or heard from anyone having those issues. So next time I take the Tryon slug gun to the range I plan to put on a 209 adapter.

I bought several extras when I bought my custom Johnson 50 cal as he said it might be a good idea. The instructions that came with them said to use some teflon tape on the threads so the adapter could be removed easily and I have been doing that and it makes disassembly very easy.

skullmount
11-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I want to use 777 pellets.
I can get a breech plug and adapters for $60, but was hoping to use surplus brass to make something to fit the breach plug I have without modifying it.

I have small chunks of money tied up in too many items that didn't work out.

If 777 pellets are the way you are going, I don't have any experience that will help your progress.

Good Luck !

KyBill
11-10-2012, 09:39 PM
The mag spark 209 adapter in my T/C Hawken is like grullaguy stated full cocked I modified my hammer to let it go far enough forward to reset so the SAFETY would work . Mag Spark in my opinion does not work well on T/C unless the hammer is shortened where it strikes the fireing pin the safety will not set correctly and go off with a bump on the hammer ! ! ! KyBill

jonas302
11-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Have you considered reloading a rifle primer in the shotgun primer battery cup? its easy to do but time consuming

I have never heard of rifle primers being better but it is told that a weaker shotgun primer is best as it wouldn't move the charge ahead before it lit off I believe foicci primers were found to be the best for that at least before the special muzzleloader primers came out

10 ga
11-12-2012, 12:57 AM
"Precision Rifle" has the adapters that allow use of rifle primers in 209 adapters. I think they are called "variflame". I have found that remington 209 do just fine for igniting 777, Pyro and black in inline guns. Mostly any accuracy problems are operator not equipment.

lead paint dust xx