PDA

View Full Version : Scrapping Copper Jackets

Jon
11-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I have a significant bucket full of scrap jackets and dross from reclaiming range lead.

How is this usually handled at the scrap yards? Do they count it the same as they would used copper pipe?

What's a fair price?

SlowSmokeN
11-08-2012, 03:54 PM
My scrap yard will take them as brass not copper. I think it is because there is a mix of copper and brass and brass is cheaper.

They need to be pretty clean but they do not freak out by seeing a little lead on the jackets. I do make sure to run a magnet through to make sure it is clean as they get irked if they have to clean it for you.

Every place is different but make it a clean as possible and insure it is only copper and brass, no steel.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-08-2012, 03:57 PM
depends on the scrapper and how clean the jackets look.
it'd be smart to separate the dross...there shouldn't be much there anyway, except dirt, if you fluxed good enough.

I have a bucket of jackets clean of dross, but they of course looked burnt.
I brought it with brass battery cable ends and scrap insulated electronic signal cable wire.
I got 90¢ a lb for the Jackets and cable ends and $1.25 for the wire.

imashooter2
11-08-2012, 04:03 PM
None of the yards around here will touch skimmed jackets. Check around before you go to a lot of effort.

Someone is buying flat rate boxes of them in the Swapping and Selling section. I can't remember who though. Wasn't offering a lot, but it was better than throwing them away if your yards won't take them.

Jailer
11-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Evan Price is the member that buys the jackets.

My local scrap yard paid me $2.40/lb last time I took them in.

rmatchell
11-08-2012, 11:08 PM
you could melt them down without to much work then cast into ingots. You can get hot enough with charcoal. If your interested just pm me I could walk you through a set up that would be cheap enough to make it worth doing.

fatelk
11-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I would be careful melting them down, because at the temperature they would melt, fumes from residual lead would concern me.

The local scrap yard here that I've been to a couple times paid me #2 copper price for them, but I had them pretty clean. Evan Price really has a pretty good deal for those that don't have a scrap yard nearby that buys them. It may not be #2 copper price, but if you have nowhere else to take them it's a great deal.

tomme boy
11-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Mine pays #1 copper.

Lizard333
11-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Do a search. There is a member here that pays you a dollar a pound. Not bad considering.

akajun
11-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I get the #2 copper price for them, last summer that was almost $3 a pound, but they only give me $1 a pound for old brass/spent primers, so it all balances out.

evan price
11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I buy them for $1 a pound and reimburse shipping in full FRB lots.

Price fluctuates on these things but I trade them for lead so it's not such a big deal for me.

Lizard333
11-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks for chiming on Evan. I could not remember your name last night.